PDA

View Full Version : migrating from hardware to software...help!

SlavikSvensk
28-01-2004, 06:32 PM
okay, so i have made the decision to scale down my studio due to a need for space and a lack of creative ideas with my existing setup, but i am concerned about making sure i can do all the things i do with hardware via software (with minimal hardware). so let me tell you my idea, and then hopefully someone can tell me if i'm on the right page and what else i need to do.

CURRENT HARDWARE:

mpc2000
an1x
d50
mc-303 (it was a long time ago, i was young, naive...)
vm-3100
zoom effects

CURRENT SOFTWARE:

reason
cubase sl
fm7
absynth

so what i was planning to do was get the m-audio firewire i/o soundcard and usb controller keyboard, sell my mpc, an1x and d50, get reclycle or some other soft sampler and then run the 8 outs into my vm-3100 for an additional sound boost.

but is this a good plan? should i keep the mpc instead? and how do i transfer all my files from the akai to reason or cubase or whatever?

thanks in advance for the help...

RichieV
28-01-2004, 10:10 PM
soft samplers like Battery and halion , that can run in cubase , can load akai files so that is'nt an issue .

DJZeMig_L
28-01-2004, 10:27 PM
recently I have been looking differently into Kontak and I gotta say, 4 a soft-sampler this is probably yer best bet.

I would definatly go for a proper sound card if u wish 2 go the software way...

Good monitors seem 2 b missing in yer list...

Alesis Monitor1 Mk2... if u can afford Mackie HR824!

I seem 2 have a keyboard already so I would save some money and get a dedicated controller surface like the evolution uc33.

Sound card I would recomend RME 9632 on a budget or a Multiface+PCI interface if u can spend a little more!

Don't forget that if u go the software way u shouldn't make yer soundcard yer weakest link!!!

Check some old posts as there are some of these querys already m8.

MPC.. u can still use it as a sequ. sampler, and then record the mid file and take it 2 cubase for arranging and sequencing... I would definatly hold on 2 it 4 a short while 'till u get used 2 the new system, by then U'll know how much u need it or not!!

Z

Z

SlavikSvensk
29-01-2004, 12:41 AM
thanks much for the tips!

to answer about monitors and soundcards, i have a decent set of cambridge soundworks monitors with a subwoofer, so plan to do that upgrade last. i'm using a laptop, so my soundcard options are limited. but luckily for now i have an ASIO card. i was thinking about the maudio firewire 8 i/o external soundcard. do either of you (or anyone esle reading this) know anything about whether this is good or not?

one other question...i have serious lag issues when playing back sounds from my softsynths on my an1x. i figured this was probably because i'
m using a midi rather than usb controller keyboard. but now i'm doubting that idea, and wonder if the latency issue has more to do with cubase.

if it's not the midi keyboard, how do i fix the issue?

DJZeMig_L
29-01-2004, 12:45 PM
M-Audio delta range has a good bunch of fans so it should b alright! :)

If u want something outstanding (that will give ya many years of stable happiness) then go 4 the Motu 828 MK2, RME Multiface+PCMCIA interface or even UA1000 Edirol (usb2)...

The prob u r experiencing is probably don't 2 latency from yer soundcard, choose the buffer wiselly... there is some old tips out here for tweeking XP and Cubase!

Z

SlavikSvensk
29-01-2004, 04:34 PM
very cool. the edirol looks fantastic, though slightly out of my price range right now, considering all the other stuff i have to get.

i'll repost about latency tweaks. cheers!

-gustav

278d7e64a374de26f==