PDA

View Full Version : cd decks v vinyl decks - Advice needed

basslinejunkie
09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
ok, ive been toying with the idea of selling my technics and getting some cdj's instead, simply because the cost of vinyl now is so high.

im sure a few of you on here have made this move in the past, so i was wondering what your thought were. are cdj's actually better than vinyl decks? what other benefits are there from cdj's other than the cost of tunes? and are there any disappointing things with cdj's?

LEt me know please.

djfilthmonger
09-10-2009, 02:30 PM
im not a fan of cd decks i dont like the feel at all. Turntables anyday. fun fun fun

ritaheed
09-10-2009, 03:21 PM
mate keep your technics and get serato

cdj's feel shit in my opinion - rather have turntables anyday

but aye go for serato, its amazin plus you can record all your vinyl straight into serato and then start buyin mp3's

tonyc2002
09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Depends what CD deck to be honest. I not long forked out for a pair of CDJ 1000's and they ****ing rock. Obviously they feel different to operate than a 1210 but the basic mechanical principle of mixing remains the same.

Specific features I love about them include the Master Tempo which locks the pitch of a track, the adjustable resistance of the jog wheel, the adjustable start+break times etc....All very slick.

basslinejunkie
09-10-2009, 05:06 PM
how much are the cdj 1000's? Im presuming they are more expensive than my tech 1210's?

Also what is serato? Im not very teccy as youve probably guessed!!!

tonyc2002
09-10-2009, 05:26 PM
how much are the cdj 1000's? Im presuming they are more expensive than my tech 1210's?

Yeah man they've gone up recently. They used to be £900 each but now there over a grand each. BUT...Pioneer have just released the CDJ 2000s so I reckon the price might drop soon.

The CDJ 400s are worth considering too and cost around £600 each.

basslinejunkie
09-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah man they've gone up recently. They used to be £900 each but now there over a grand each. BUT...Pioneer have just released the CDJ 2000s so I reckon the price might drop soon.

The CDJ 400s are worth considering too and cost around £600 each.

wow,**** me. i never thought they would be that expensive

tonyc2002
09-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Have a look here mate http://www.decks.co.uk/articles/dj_cd_players_homepage/

Loads to choose from but Pioneer are definately the Technics equivalent of industry standard when it comes to CD decks. Saying that though, I've heard really good things about Denons gear.

SIN:RG
09-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Specific features I love about them include the Master Tempo which locks the pitch of a track, the adjustable resistance of the jog wheel, the adjustable start+break times etc....All very slick.[/QUOTE]

hes right they are wicked when you know how to use them and tear them up in the middle of a tune and i find them just as fun.but for sure theres no better feeling then 1210s thats a fact but cdjs are the norm now in any club or rave and its a better sound,cheaper to buy tunes and if you play alot its so much more easyier to carry around a cd case of your best tunes than a massive record box .id go with cdjs i just feel its there the future is heading its all going digi. but if you can id save for them and keep the 1210s aswel as id find it torture to part with mine.

ritaheed
10-10-2009, 03:50 PM

http://www.rane.com/scratch.html

basically allows you to play your mp3's from the laptop using coded vinyl. The mp3's get sent to the vinyl and allows you to play/scratch in real time

Means you can take all your tunes to a gig, no need to carry heavy vinyl, and is basically the shizz

Vinyl was getting way to expensive for me so a made the switch to serato and its honestly the best thing ave done... highly recomended mate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja9F63jeGOU - check this out

Technologic
10-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Yep, serato would be my choice.

Means you don't have to sell your decks, you can still play your old vinyl as well.

Combine ableton to that package and you've got a very powerful platform.

DannyBlack
10-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Yeah personally I would be more inclined to go with vinyl decks. I enjoy vinyl, the feel- the bloody weight of the things. I like the lack of digitality involved is quite wonderful. Like flying blind.

Technologic
11-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Yeah personally I would be more inclined to go with vinyl decks. I enjoy vinyl, the feel- the bloody weight of the things. I like the lack of digitality involved is quite wonderful. Like flying blind.

The 1210's do have a certain charm about them that is for sure.

tonyc2002
11-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Shameless Plug :cheese: : I not long wrote an article about digital DJ'ing Vs traditional methods that may (or may not lol) be useful.

http://www.elevationmusic.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6:at-the-dj-crossroads&catid=3:interviews&Itemid=2

basslinejunkie
12-10-2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.rane.com/scratch.html

basically allows you to play your mp3's from the laptop using coded vinyl. The mp3's get sent to the vinyl and allows you to play/scratch in real time

Means you can take all your tunes to a gig, no need to carry heavy vinyl, and is basically the shizz

Vinyl was getting way to expensive for me so a made the switch to serato and its honestly the best thing ave done... highly recomended mate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja9F63jeGOU - check this out

so let me get this stright... you basically put to things on your decks and can play from your decks as if you would with traditional vinyl???!?

if so thats ****in amaizng!!

J Raninen
12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
so let me get this stright... you basically put to things on your decks and can play from your decks as if you would with traditional vinyl???!?

Plus you don't scratch your valuable original limited edition collectables when playing drunk with your mates. I'm also voting for Serato/Torq etc. over CDJ:s anyday.

djfilthmonger
12-10-2009, 02:24 PM
yeah serato. im going to change over at sum stage, but u cant beat the sound quailty of a well pressed vinyl

tonyc2002
12-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Serato/Traktor are good but bear in mind you'll need a hi-spec reliable laptop and a decent audio interface to make the most of them. You'll also need to be comfortable plugging it all in in a club. And remember that the more links in the chain mean more potential equipment/compatibility problems.

ritaheed
12-10-2009, 02:40 PM

aye mate, its 2 blank vinyl you put on the decks, exact same feel as normal vinyl

if your going to buy serato have a good search for it cause a managed to find it for £282 were as all ma mates have paid at least £340

think a found it through amazon

but aye get serato mate

ritaheed
12-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Serato/Traktor are good but bear in mind you'll need a hi-spec reliable laptop and a decent audio interface to make the most of them. You'll also need to be comfortable plugging it all in in a club. And remember that the more links in the chain mean more potential equipment/compatibility problems.

Agreed that you need a good laptop but nothing groundbraking, but you dont need an interface at all. Also its the easiest thing in the world to connect. ave connected it up while other people have been djing with traktor before me but aye you do need to be in the club for the setup unless your big time

Barely Human
12-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Is anyone else finding that places are starting to not supply turntables and only have CDJ's? It seams recently that CDJ's are the standard and then one 1210 is supplied for that odd vinyl.

ritaheed
12-10-2009, 07:39 PM
aye ma mate went to for a dj competition and it was cdj's and also a gig a got booked for was only cdj's aswell....

no into the cdj's at all

TechMouse
12-10-2009, 08:30 PM
+1 on this.

If you're going to go digital I'd say just get Traktor and a really good controller.

Or Ableton.

I totally get that Serato / FS is good if you're not up for learning new things, but IMHO it massively overcomplicates everything and causes no end of setup headaches.

Plus you better have good needles. If either of your needles is a bit old or crap you'll have all sorts of problems picking up the timecode properly.

djfilthmonger
13-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Is anyone else finding that places are starting to not supply turntables and only have CDJ's? It seams recently that CDJ's are the standard and then one 1210 is supplied for that odd vinyl.

thats shit. i dont think i wud except a gig if there were only cd decks. i only do it for a laff anyway so it wud have to be vinyl decks

Technologic
13-10-2009, 01:58 AM
I doubt CDJs will last much longer either. I think storage devices + controller is the way forward. CD's are too much hassel to burn, catalogue etc so they'll fade out in time as well.

Barely Human
13-10-2009, 06:12 AM
I doubt CDJs will last much longer either. I think storage devices + controller is the way forward. CD's are too much hassel to burn, catalogue etc so they'll fade out in time as well.

I would say that is the logical way forward. Something will have to be standardized though. For a long time you knew if you turned up with a box of vinyl and some headphones you would be sorted. You knew that you would be mixing on technics and hoped there was a good mixer.

Now you cant rely on that. Maybe the way forward will be an empty desk for your laptop and controllers and a socket to plug it into the PA. Either that or it will be some CDJ's and all you bring with you is 2 SD cards with all your tracks.

basslinejunkie
13-10-2009, 10:10 AM
thanks for your helps guys, i thinkim gona go for serato, it sounds absolutely ideal for me, and as im only a bedroom dj i dont need to worry about convineance etc.

ritaheed
13-10-2009, 12:32 PM
thanks for your helps guys, i thinkim gona go for serato, it sounds absolutely ideal for me, and as im only a bedroom dj i dont need to worry about convineance etc.

good shout mate ;)

tonyc2002
13-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I cant see CD decks going out the window anytime soon. Well they best ****ing not or I've just wanked away a shit load of cash :lol:

ritaheed
14-10-2009, 11:13 AM
nah a doubt they'l disapear, every were uses them

278d7e64a374de26f==