PDA

View Full Version : <Cubase SX 2 Top Tips>

MARKEG
28-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Cubase is my own prefered sequencer but what is it that really makes it stand out?

My top top recommendation is to learn the shortcuts.

What are yours? What gives it that edge? What can you recommend to do to make it even more powerful?

Patrick DSP
28-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Cubase is my own prefered sequencer but what is it that really makes it stand out?

My top top recommendation is to learn the shortcuts.

What are yours? What gives it that edge? What can you recommend to do to make it even more powerful?

the evolution uc-33e controller to help me get at volume sliders in a split second is awesome. i just wish intigration with cubase sx2 was better.

but my primary use of the uc--33e is for ableton for live pa's

-p.dsp

BloodStar
29-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Steinberg Houston, Studio VST controller

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/hardware/houston/index.php?sid=0

looks pretty well, IMO.

FILTERZ
30-01-2004, 09:39 AM
automation of plug ins is great

DJZeMig_L
30-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Midi Efxs, step , arpegiator and chorder!!

:)

Z

miromiric.
03-02-2004, 10:39 PM
stepdesigner is of a great use for me little musical antitalent. just go to inserts or sends of midi tracks and choose it.
chorder rocks too as ze already said.

remember to use clean option once in a month, it will delete all your unused files, thus speeding up cubase A LOT.

who knows how to set mixer to respond to my midi controller?

DJZeMig_L
04-02-2004, 03:01 AM
U have 2 go to the devices, then add a general device and then configure it.. it's boring but after donne it's very nice 2 use!! :)

Z

DJZeMig_L
04-02-2004, 03:02 AM
do yer own key shortcuts... speeds up yer work!!

Z

Antinoise
11-02-2004, 05:17 PM
This applies to other programs other than cubase.. but... anyway..

When inserting an effect on a channel...insert it half way down the chain instead of at the first spot. That way, if you add a second effect or eq you can insert it before or after the original effect. (This would not be an issue if you could freely bump effects up or down the chain).

DJZeMig_L
11-02-2004, 09:37 PM
a cool trick that I use in cubase 2 sorta emulate sidechain comp from a kick into a bassline....

do a volume automation on the bass, so that yer bassline audiotrack dips a little with every kick... (bounce it 2 spare the cpu if needed) u'll probably have 2 use a huge zoom and a lot of copy pasting but should yeld some nice results with a very detailed control over the all thing!!! this uplies 2 basically any audio sequencer.

Z

DJZeMig_L
11-02-2004, 09:51 PM
right click on a track.... duplicate... very quick and usefull way 2 work with long audiable decaing sound (so that one clip doesn't mute the other!) loop2 mock around with ideas with out ruining the original... also good for chorusing/ phasing, Beat Juggling! ;)

right click on a track.... duplicate... very quick and usefull way 2 work with long decaing sound (so that one clip doesn't mute the other! so each track plays in turns 1 measure on then 1 measure off)... now create a Folder track and add both.. lots easier 2 handle!

If u work with midi then bouce yer sounds 2 audio, I'm sure u've came accross a few times when the all arragement is a total mess (so sometimes after u've bounced 2 audio u delete the midi track then u find out that u need to get back 2 the midi track 2 change something...!?!?)... create a folder track for all the midi tracks, collapse it (expand..) and mute it!

SX 2 alows u 2 devide the arrange view into 2 horizontal areas... keep audio on top and midi below... (or reversed).. now u can shrink7 expand the area that u are using and "hide" the "backUp" original midi tracks!

Use the windows views (setups) 2 quickly rearrage all windows on the screen... lots easier then dragging and redimensioning all the time... then it's as easy as pressing a couple of combination Keys!! :)

Z

DJZeMig_L
14-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Creating yer windows layouts can b very usefull and make you work much faster/ better...

arrange all yer windows around yer display(s).. now just go to the menu windows/ New Windows layout!! :)

If this is yer first u can always quickly retreive this position and dimensioning of all the windows around the screens by just pressing ALT+1 (numeric keypad), for the second layout, ALT+2 (numeric keypad), ...

It might seem lame but this is very usefull .. give it a go! ;)

Z

herman
18-02-2004, 06:29 PM
this might seem obvious but it might help out a few as well but the forums on cubase.net have an insane amount usefull info.

Barely Human
18-02-2004, 06:42 PM

When inserting an effect on a channel...insert it half way down the chain instead of at the first spot. That way, if you add a second effect or eq you can insert it before or after the original effect. (This would not be an issue if you could freely bump effects up or down the chain).

You can in fruity ;)

EmotionComplex
18-02-2004, 07:01 PM

You can in fruity ;)

stop it iq :nono: :lol:

Dave Elyzium
23-02-2004, 09:05 PM
You may know this but I only found this one today...

CTLR-K to creat a copy of a part (say a 1 bar arpeggio)..use this to fill out your track, then whenever you edit the notes in the orginal copy, the changes are implemented in all the followin gloops...

hope that makes sense!

DJZeMig_L
24-02-2004, 10:09 PM
nice but U have 2 make sure the last part ends exactly at the end of a bar 1/2, 1/4 otherwise yeah new part gets pasted exactly after the end of the last one and it can end out quite a mess and out of time/ place.

Also if u make ghost copies everytime u change one of them u change all ... or if it asks u can convert into a normal part and afgect only that one!!

Z

The Divide
25-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Does anyone the shortcuts jpeg for sx

DJZeMig_L
25-02-2004, 12:02 PM
I got the links in an old post somewhere... just look around m8!

U can always make yer own though! ;)

Z

discord
04-03-2004, 01:01 AM
When using VST instruments along with effects in cubase, a delay will sometimes be introduced (this applies especially to dynamic processing effects such as the compressors/limiters that come with cubase). This does not apply to audio channels however, so if sometimes things just dont seem right - its worth checking and mixing down the offending channels.
Also, never underestimate using mono samples. Only use stereo if you really needs it. Apart from the obvious file size reduction, mono can provide all kinds of advantages.... which I cant be bothered to go into now so just do it...

DJZeMig_L
04-03-2004, 01:54 AM
humm R u sure U r talking about SX2!? I mean SX 2 has the PDC, Plugin Delay Compensation, so that ain't so much a prob. anymore....

But taking yer tip I will suggest that People use the delay on each track (Even if ievery track is properly compensated and it sounds on time) as this can most of times give u a very cool shuffly or tighter feel... typical values between -5...5 ....
:dance:

Z

romelpotter
05-03-2004, 12:59 PM
I use the conbination control+G to loop the part you have selected. This works for midi and audio.

DJZeMig_L
05-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Nice tip m8! ;)

i'll try not 2 forget it!! :doh:

Z

discord
08-03-2004, 01:25 PM
sorry, still working with SX - presumed the problem was same with SX2

DJZeMig_L
08-03-2004, 03:12 PM
not anymore :dance:

Z

Jekyll & Hyde
08-03-2004, 04:41 PM
sorry, still working with SX - presumed the problem was same with SX2

You should update man, theres about 100 new features on it. I have to use sx1 at uni nowadays and it feels really dated when going back

DJZeMig_L
17-03-2004, 02:00 PM
A small kind of obvious trick...

Go into the key editor and in the controller pane select program change... go crazy with the pensil on this pane, try not 2 use a quantize lower than 1/8 or 1/16, draw up a few notes, send 2 a synth hardware or otherwise, now... weird/ cool-a-rama! ;)

try 2 have the prog change messages in between notes as 2 avoid click, and other unpleasantries.... !

Z

Tugie
03-04-2004, 03:55 PM
I like cuebass for its wave editing abilitys things like the sizing time stretch tool its fkin mint for fast and acurat editing.
Iv only just realy got into using the midi side of things and iv got ALOT to lern !

herman
04-04-2004, 09:11 PM
there is a ton of mad tips here for sx some really good stuff in there as well

http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/013390.html

The Divide
05-04-2004, 01:16 AM
there is a ton of mad tips here for sx some really good stuff in there as well

http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/013390.html

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: BRAVO

Debroglie
05-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know how to get the step designer's notes back into a regular midi track in SX ?

any help would be appreciated :rambo:

Debroglie
05-04-2004, 06:24 PM
:lol: got it :oops:

278d7e64a374de26f==