PDA

View Full Version : Synthmaker/Reaktor/Max MSP etc

tonyc2002
12-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Has anyone been brave/nerdy enough to attempt to write their own instruments or effects?

rhythmtech
12-10-2009, 09:49 AM
yup, there was a BOA synth floating around about two years ago that a couple of us worked on. just a standard 2osc subtractive if i remember correctly. we did it in synthmaker but it got forgotten about.

tonyc2002
12-10-2009, 11:07 AM
yup, there was a BOA synth floating around about two years ago that a couple of us worked on. just a standard 2osc subtractive if i remember correctly. we did it in synthmaker but it got forgotten about.

Cool!

I'm planning to get heavily into Synthmaker over the next few months so if you have any tips/online resources let me know :cheese:

The_Laughing_Man
12-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I`m probably going to invest in Max for Live. Hopefully ableton will bring some kind of certification for it as I`d like to add it to my teaching skills as well as my own creative arsenal.

stjohn
12-10-2009, 07:53 PM
ive done a few granular things in Max MSP. looking forward to getting them working in M4L. great program, but it can get a bit annoying sometimes when ur stuck on one thing. i havnt yet gotten into building stuff in Reaktor, but im sure i will at some point.

The_Laughing_Man
12-10-2009, 09:15 PM
The only problem I have is that it takes time away from making music.
I`m kinda interested, but at the end of the day, when I was a drummer, I didn`t make my own drum kits, I bought the ones I wanted and then customised them to my needs, and I would rather make music than build instruments.

a X cell
13-10-2009, 02:05 AM
I have courses for Max/MSP in University and I'm learning a free software my teacher made named Ounk.
If you know Python language (a programmation language), then you can basically do some music with Python and patches.
There ya go : http://code.google.com/p/ounk/

Jay Pace
13-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I've made things in reaktor before. Its fun... sort of.
Am friends with tim exile, he does silly stuff in reaktor. He tried teaching me how it works, and once you get up to speed it sort of makes sense but to be honest I don't get much pleasure from playing with a spiderweb of inter-connecting modules doing things. Too confusing.

If you're minded to it great, but I find it really distracting. Would rather make simple sounds and mangle them, or use someone elses programming genius and bend it to my will. Yield!

tonyc2002
14-10-2009, 11:44 PM
I think half the battle is coming up with an original concept and using the technology to design something different or to solve a situation specific problem.

stjohn
17-10-2009, 04:55 PM
^^^ yea exactly. once you have the ideas, its just a matter of realising it. its not the sort of program that you can just arse around with, and stumble on something cool. well u can a bit, but in general its all in the original concept!

278d7e64a374de26f==