PDA

View Full Version : Dan Bell

SlavikSvensk
21-10-2009, 05:21 PM
loving this "let's get dirty with the classics" trend on here. anyways, here's a still banging tune from dan bell, aka dbx, the (arguable) godfather of minimal techno.

apparently this is from some dance show on local TV from detroit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EHf1NNbaW4

DannyBlack
21-10-2009, 05:40 PM
haha the shapes them people are throwing!

...Dave...
21-10-2009, 05:58 PM
more classic dan bell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwihmkUENTU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC2f9agku-s

...Dave...
21-10-2009, 06:07 PM
how about some classic speedy j..

we could go on forever here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWQ4GXLruio

teknorich
21-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Favourite Dan Bell track has gotta be Baby Judy, with the freaky vocals and that beep noise, classic!

teknorich
21-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Another classic which I love (but always pitch up when I play it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zj6CXleiYM

Cajmere - Percolator

:yup:

teknorich
21-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Just found a link for Percolator on that same Detroit TV show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMEDZnM_TZE

That must have been some show!!!

The Overfiend
21-10-2009, 09:10 PM
It's time for the perculator
Love it

The_Laughing_Man
21-10-2009, 09:16 PM
godfather of minimal techno.

I would argue against that, simplistic is not the same as minimal. There`s a bit more to the ethic than not using much kit.

Although I do like some Bell stuff, I hate nostalgia.
Old people talking about how good music was back then.
Horrid.

gunjack
21-10-2009, 09:19 PM
dude you are so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGgqRNb96LY

SlavikSvensk
21-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Just found a link for Percolator on that same Detroit TV show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMEDZnM_TZE

That must have been some show!!!

nothing beats local tv dance shows from the 80s

SlavikSvensk
21-10-2009, 11:09 PM
I would argue against that, simplistic is not the same as minimal. There`s a bit more to the ethic than not using much kit.

Although I do like some Bell stuff, I hate nostalgia.
Old people talking about how good music was back then.
Horrid.

some would argue that predictable and/or compulsive contrarians are the problem :)

but seriously, there's a nice middle ground between obsessive nostalgia and a lack of appreciation for one's roots, which entails respecting and celebrating the past while simultaneously looking towards the future

The_Laughing_Man
22-10-2009, 09:54 AM
dude you are so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGgqRNb96LY

Quite the opposite in fact, I just don`t engage in hero worship.

The_Laughing_Man
22-10-2009, 09:56 AM
some would argue that predictable and/or compulsive contrarians are the problem :)

but seriously, there's a nice middle ground between obsessive nostalgia and a lack of appreciation for one's roots, which entails respecting and celebrating the past while simultaneously looking towards the future

Why respect the past if it is irrelevant to you?
Yeah sure, celebrate it though.

I just see over reminiscience in music scenes as a sign of people growing old and losing touch.

gunjack
22-10-2009, 11:40 AM
afraid of losing touch are ya?

...Dave...
22-10-2009, 11:53 AM

I just see over reminiscience in music scenes as a sign of people growing old and losing touch.

dude. whats wrong with remembering good times? do you not feel nostalgic when you hear tunes from when you were out having a great time when you were young?

i know i do.

loosing touch? maybe, but we all know going out now is nothing like it was back in the day. it was ****ing great:wink:

markandrew
22-10-2009, 12:44 PM
dude. whats wrong with remembering good times? do you not feel nostalgic when you hear tunes from when you were out having a great time when you were young?

i know i do.

loosing touch? maybe, but we all know going out now is nothing like it was back in the day. it was ****ing great:wink:

there not one person on this board that doesnt feel nostalgic when it comes to oldschool or old tunes if they say there not there lying :smile:

basslinejunkie
22-10-2009, 01:56 PM

so the past is irrelevant to you? you werent influlenced at all by others and their sound? I find that very hard to believe.

must admit though dan bell is someone ive never really gone and looked into proper, apart from the obvious dbx stuff, guess i should be the sounds of it!

teknorich
22-10-2009, 02:23 PM
The Blip, Blurp, Bleep album is quality. Is a collection of tracks, rather than an actual album, and they are the most obvious ones (Losing Control, Baby Judy etc) but definitely worth a listen.

SlavikSvensk
22-10-2009, 03:57 PM
so the past is irrelevant to you? you werent influlenced at all by others and their sound? I find that very hard to believe.

i also have a hard time buying that. of course, there's a big difference between saying something's irrelevant to you and it actually being irrelevant to you...

sounds a bit like a political stand to me...like he perceives "obsessive nostalgics" as holding current music back, so he attacks their sacred cows...not really because of the quality of said sacred cows, but because he doesn't like the effect of the attachment to them.

i think the frustration with the "obsessive nostalgics," esp of the littledetroit variety, is understandable. but that kind of extreme stand only results in a "narcissism of the present," which is every bit as limiting as "obsessive nostalgia."

gunjack
22-10-2009, 04:31 PM
zing!

Stella Boy
22-10-2009, 06:53 PM
the (arguable) godfather of minimal techno.

i'd agree with that although reading some blurbs on some of the more trendy minimal dj's *cough* cocoon linked *cough* you'd think they invented the sound single handedly :lol:

The_Laughing_Man
22-10-2009, 08:47 PM

must admit though dan bell is someone ive never really gone and looked into proper, apart from the obvious dbx stuff, guess i should be the sounds of it!

no, I do on occasion, although rarely, listen to old stuff.
It`s just with techno changing so much in the last few years, lots of poeople have been going on about "the good old days" and it just says more about an aging generation of ravers turning into their dads.
I`m just having a bit of a groan that`s all.
I blame James Ruskin, he knows I invented the name James Ruskin, without me he would be nothing.

The_Laughing_Man
22-10-2009, 09:00 PM
i also have a hard time buying that. of course, there's a big difference between saying something's irrelevant to you and it actually being irrelevant to you...

sounds a bit like a political stand to me...like he perceives "obsessive nostalgics" as holding current music back, so he attacks their sacred cows...not really because of the quality of said sacred cows, but because he doesn't like the effect of the attachment to them.

i think the frustration with the "obsessive nostalgics," esp of the littledetroit variety, is understandable. but that kind of extreme stand only results in a "narcissism of the present," which is every bit as limiting as "obsessive nostalgia."

On the contrary, my life is immersed and infused with music and I spend a great deal of time learning all types of techniques and methods.

Minimalism is something that was about purity of note, texture, and harmonic complexity within apparently simple arrangement.
The 12 tone system for example, was very influencial on the minimalists.
With each of the 12 tones in the chromatic scale being given equal emphasis in a piece.
This changed the way the music was made, from being about what is being played, to how it is being played and the texture and timbre, and shifitng time signatures in sublte, almost invisible ways.
Like with glass for example, he asked much from his performers, not so much the notes, but the purity they were extracted from the violin for example.
Constant pressure and smooth bowing for mazimum purity of note.
Part was similar, his early works are notoriously difficult to play, not for their tonal complexity, but for the texture he required his violinists and cellists to get from their instruments. IT required supreme mastery of the instrument, and certain non conventional techniques that ,as they were used from a minimalistic ethic, gave an illusion of simplicity.
These are just small areas of what minimalism was about.

For me, it seems that Hood was influenced by minimalism, but didn`t quite get it, wether he lacked the technical knowledge or skill to reproduce it, or just didn`t fully understand the ethic. The tones he used lacked any real textural or harmonic depth. The structure was minimal, but remained too rigid, and although polyrythmic, lacked fluidity. I think part of the lack of textural depth may be purely down to the limitations of what he had available to him as well, equipment-wise.
Probably as he himself was trying something new, so it didn`t fully succeed, but for me, what he did has little merit in minimal-ISM.

I`m a full on music nerd, I think about these things, possibly too much, but it`s one of the reasons I have starting writing classical pieces, to more fully understand the beautiful maths behind music.

basslinejunkie
22-10-2009, 09:14 PM
no, I do on occasion, although rarely, listen to old stuff.
It`s just with techno changing so much in the last few years, lots of poeople have been going on about "the good old days" and it just says more about an aging generation of ravers turning into their dads.
I`m just having a bit of a groan that`s all.
I blame James Ruskin, he knows I invented the name James Ruskin, without me he would be nothing.

fair doo's, know what you mean really whats the point looking back when you can look forward kinda thing. your view is probably different to alot of us as u actually make music, so you have to lok forward.

thing is though there is just so much amazing stuff from ' back in the day' that you just simply cannot ignore and still sounds just as good if not better now!

good music is timeless.

gunjack
22-10-2009, 09:26 PM
dammit steve, always on about the details, f4cking up the music for the rest of us...

SlavikSvensk
23-10-2009, 01:41 AM
On the contrary, my life is immersed and infused with music and I spend a great deal of time learning all types of techniques and methods.

Minimalism is something that was about purity of note, texture, and harmonic complexity within apparently simple arrangement.
The 12 tone system for example, was very influencial on the minimalists.
With each of the 12 tones in the chromatic scale being given equal emphasis in a piece.
This changed the way the music was made, from being about what is being played, to how it is being played and the texture and timbre, and shifitng time signatures in sublte, almost invisible ways.
Like with glass for example, he asked much from his performers, not so much the notes, but the purity they were extracted from the violin for example.
Constant pressure and smooth bowing for mazimum purity of note.
Part was similar, his early works are notoriously difficult to play, not for their tonal complexity, but for the texture he required his violinists and cellists to get from their instruments. IT required supreme mastery of the instrument, and certain non conventional techniques that ,as they were used from a minimalistic ethic, gave an illusion of simplicity.
These are just small areas of what minimalism was about.

For me, it seems that Hood was influenced by minimalism, but didn`t quite get it, wether he lacked the technical knowledge or skill to reproduce it, or just didn`t fully understand the ethic. The tones he used lacked any real textural or harmonic depth. The structure was minimal, but remained too rigid, and although polyrythmic, lacked fluidity. I think part of the lack of textural depth may be purely down to the limitations of what he had available to him as well, equipment-wise.
Probably as he himself was trying something new, so it didn`t fully succeed, but for me, what he did has little merit in minimal-ISM.

I`m a full on music nerd, I think about these things, possibly too much, but it`s one of the reasons I have starting writing classical pieces, to more fully understand the beautiful maths behind music.

plenty of classical minimalism is about small vocabularies of relatively "unaltered" tones, e.g. john cage's "string quartet in four parts," (which is really worth checking out, if you don't already know it), or shifting patterns of short repeated tones, like "in c" or "music for 18 musicians." that's exactly what rob hood was doing, albeit in a far more superficial way than said composers. but hey...all techno is superficial compared to the giants of contemporary classical. by the bar set by classical minimalism, virtually all "minimal" electronic music is "kiddie minimalism." but nothing wrong with that...just the nature of the beast.

The_Laughing_Man
23-10-2009, 06:09 AM
dammit steve, always on about the details, f4cking up the music for the rest of us...

it`s a curse, and quite clearly not normal behaviour.
But I never put much credence in normal

The_Laughing_Man
23-10-2009, 06:11 AM
good music is timeless.

Oh I agree, for sure.
Techno has always been a very transient artform though.
I think it is so closely related to the zeitgeist (or at least it should be) it can become irrelevant pretty quickly.

Yes my perspective is different, I`m very much into all aspects of music, in being so deep into the mechanics of it, it`s very hard to not pull things apart and look at them from the inside, which often gives an extreme nerd perspective to the outsider.
My belief is you you find your passion and you have the ability, then go all the way, get right inside.

The_Laughing_Man
23-10-2009, 06:20 AM
plenty of classical minimalism is about small vocabularies of relatively "unaltered" tones, e.g. john cage's "string quartet in four parts," (which is really worth checking out, if you don't already know it), or shifting patterns of short repeated tones, like "in c" or "music for 18 musicians." that's exactly what rob hood was doing, albeit in a far more superficial way than said composers. but hey...all techno is superficial compared to the giants of contemporary classical. by the bar set by classical minimalism, virtually all "minimal" electronic music is "kiddie minimalism." but nothing wrong with that...just the nature of the beast.

not really, there is plenty of electronic music that more captures the detail and ethic of minimalism fairly effectively, yet still within the post african rhythm context.
More so in the last 10 years than before.
Hood was just an early explorer (only comparitively, within his own niche of electronica)
What he did is like a an old Ford Model T in a museum compared to a Koenigsegg CCX Edition (In black of course).

gunjack
23-10-2009, 11:00 AM
so anyway, ahem, dan bell....

basslinejunkie
23-10-2009, 11:22 AM
that first tune slav posted is quality, been wondering the name of that for ages, heard it on sets in the past. gotta love them people jiveing also!

BloodStar
23-10-2009, 11:35 AM
yeah, Daniel Bell, Seventh City Detroit,. liking his stuff alot,. heard him for the first time around 2000 on one vienna radio station called FM4. showcase is called La Boom Deluxe, not sure anyone of you will know it, but for us middle european people FM4 played big role back in the days. at least for me it did, hahaha.
really likining Dan Bell tunes, easy listening minimal music with soul and emotional energy, not like the lettradethe808samplepack mnml crap which coming out these days. thumps up.

SlavikSvensk
23-10-2009, 05:10 PM
not really, there is plenty of electronic music that more captures the detail and ethic of minimalism fairly effectively, yet still within the post african rhythm context.
More so in the last 10 years than before.
Hood was just an early explorer (only comparitively, within his own niche of electronica)
What he did is like a an old Ford Model T in a museum compared to a Koenigsegg CCX Edition (In black of course).

but it is kid stuff, really, and not a lot more. there's certainly a place for that, and it has value, but it's like comparing graffiti art to dan flavin. minimal electronic music should be appreciated for what it is, but pretentions to transcendence are misplaced, and obviously so when compared to classical minimalism.

SlavikSvensk
23-10-2009, 05:20 PM
yeah, Daniel Bell, Seventh City Detroit,. liking his stuff alot,. heard him for the first time around 2000 on one vienna radio station called FM4. showcase is called La Boom Deluxe, not sure anyone of you will know it, but for us middle european people FM4 played big role back in the days. at least for me it did, hahaha.
really likining Dan Bell tunes, easy listening minimal music with soul and emotional energy, not like the lettradethe808samplepack mnml crap which coming out these days. thumps up.

i agree with a lot of this. it's simple, but its 90s techno stripped down to its most functional parts. some sounds dated (in a "i wouldn't really play this out anymore" way) now, some still rocks like it always did.

here's one i always loved that threads that needle...

http://samples.beatport.com/items/volumes/volume3/items/0/500000/0/4000/300/60/504367.LOFI.mp3

...and a more experimental tune...sounds awfully weird to listen to now

http://samples.beatport.com/items/volumes/volume5/items/0/500000/0/4000/300/50/504355.LOFI.mp3

Jay Pace
23-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I love dan bell stuff.

But I kinda suspect a lot of his stuff - if it was released today - would get dismissed as crap by a lot of the same people who hail it as genius.

teknorich
23-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I think one point to note is that most of his tracks have a good fat drum under it which gives it the extra attitude and vibe. I think that's lacking in a lot of modern day mnml; the bass drums are often quite weak and lightweight. Bell's tracks can sound a bit dated, or a bit too basic, but at the same time they can also have a really ballsy, confident sound to them which really boosts them.

SlavikSvensk
23-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I love dan bell stuff.

But I kinda suspect a lot of his stuff - if it was released today - would get dismissed as crap by a lot of the same people who hail it as genius.

well, it's quite primitive by today's standards. things that were groundbreaking then are commonplace, or in some ways, cliche now. his music also reflects a different time when there was a different prevalent mentality in techno. it was much more open and less compartmentalized, and there was just less stuff to take in. but there was also less cumulative knowledge about what things "should" be like. as i see it, that knowledge has both a positive and a negative side to it. it's just a different climate now.

i think when people today celebrate someone like dan bell, they are doing so both because he made some great music, and because he broke ground in a way that helped set the stage for lots of quality stuff that came later.

The_Laughing_Man
24-10-2009, 12:29 AM
I think one point to note is that most of his tracks have a good fat drum under it which gives it the extra attitude and vibe. I think that's lacking in a lot of modern day mnml; the bass drums are often quite weak and lightweight. Bell's tracks can sound a bit dated, or a bit too basic, but at the same time they can also have a really ballsy, confident sound to them which really boosts them.

The thing with minimal stuff of today, is that the kicks are less obvious at home, as they tend to be compressed 808 type stuff.
No obvious bang bang that knocks your speakers at home, but those soft sounding 808`s have a big lump of sub in them, then a little click on top. Once they are pumped out on a good stack of 18`s or 24`s they shake the room to bits. You just need to give them room.
Immersion (or henry) used to use those kind of kicks to really amazing effect on pounding grooves.
I`ve kinda got bored of the 909 thump myself, but it does have more immediacy for sure.

Bell seems to have gone silent for the last few years production wise, is he using a pseudonym now?

SlavikSvensk
24-10-2009, 12:45 AM
he hasn't put out a new record in years, as far as i know. martin will probably talk him into a dust science record eventually, like he did with fred giannelli...at least i hope so.

gunjack
24-10-2009, 07:02 AM
where are the dogs when you need them?

SlavikSvensk
24-10-2009, 06:21 PM
lurking.

really enjoyed that free release of theirs...

278d7e64a374de26f==