PDA

View Full Version : windows 7

ritaheed
05-11-2009, 03:06 PM
been thinking about getting windows 7 as ave heard good things about it and a hate vista....

take it a would need to wait for an update for my soundcard for it to be compatible?? or would it maybe run ok?

tonyc2002
06-11-2009, 05:37 PM
been thinking about getting windows 7 as ave heard good things about it and a hate vista....

take it a would need to wait for an update for my soundcard for it to be compatible?? or would it maybe run ok?

I would guess (but its an educated guess ;) that if it works on Vista it will work with Win 7 because they are based on the same underlying code. At least I think....

DVNT
06-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Weirdly had my first encounter with Vista today. Sister popped round with my baby niece and bought her laptop to fix. Took Vista off as I couldn't even work out how to turn on the Ethernet port which was turned off as well as the wireless card.

Installed Windows 7. Job done, piece of piss. Still hate Windows thou. Back to OSX I go like the fan boy I am. ;)

aNaLpLeAsEr
09-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Vista for music production?

teknorich
09-11-2009, 02:35 PM
http://rainrecording.co.uk/windows-watch/

(the Windows 7 section has only just been added, which is why it is blank atm)

From what I've heard, if your hardware had Vista drivers, they will work with 7, but obviously now that 7 is released officially (not just beta) manufacturers will develop and releae their own Windows 7 drivers too.

aNaLpLeAsEr
09-11-2009, 02:42 PM
and software developers? The small little companies that make audio software....there is always a delay. Just not worth being at the front of the queue.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything just out of beta. There is always still shit to iron out.

teknorich
09-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Yep, that's true. There will definitely be teething problems, and it's often best to let others go through all that crap, and then just step in once it's all settled and enjoy a smoother ride. I didn't bother with the beta of Windows 7, and am waiting a little while to get it now that it's out. The student offer is valid until January, so I'll grab it late december some time, by which time there should be full working drivers released for everything I need.
Saying that, I think that fact that 7 is so similar to Vista (except it works...) means that there's not a lot to iron out which the manufacturer's don't already know about. Take a look at this from the Cakewalk (Sonar) site:
http://blog.cakewalk.com/how-windows-7-will-effect-your-music-production/

aNaLpLeAsEr
09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
I built my PC specifically for music. I am running XP PRO.

teknorich
09-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Nice one. Building your own custom machine is definitely the best way, if you know what you're doing. I bought a couple of different laptops, which were crap for audio for different reasons, so in the end I went for this:

http://rainrecording.co.uk/products/livebook/

I know it's overpriced, but at the same time XP Pro is nicely tuned, all components are compatible and it's never given me any problems at all. I get low latency, with no f*cking around, and Traktor runs smooth as. :-)

(Also nice to have the support, as I've always got questions!)

aNaLpLeAsEr
09-11-2009, 03:51 PM
the link says it got 8GB ram...with XP?

teknorich
09-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, it's built on the MSI GX620, which can physically hold up to 8GBRAM, but unless you're using a 64bit version of XP, it won't use it. I got 4GB RAM in mine.

aNaLpLeAsEr
09-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah, it's built on the MSI GX620, which can physically hold up to 8GBRAM, but unless you're using a 64bit version of XP, it won't use it. I got 4GB RAM in mine.

Good....Xp (32bit) doesn't really use much more than 3GB so no need for more than 4GB if your using dual channel.

tonyc2002
09-11-2009, 10:58 PM
I got Win 7 Pro installed on my Dell lappy. Its a fairly beefy machine (Centrino Duo & ATI Mobility X1300) but only a 1 gig of ram and I'm running it with all the Aero bells and whistles, desktop gadgets etc and its fine..

Over the next few days I'm gonna get my Audio Kontrol installed with Vista drivers, get Ableton up and running and get all my VSTs on the go so will report back on how it goes ;)

Barely Human
10-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Just got a copy of Ultimate. Gonna do an upgrade from Vista premium so I'll let you know how it goes.

Barely Human
11-11-2009, 08:08 AM
The upgrade was pretty painless. Made a usb and ran the setup. Everything seams to be working as it should. Not had chance to test any audio apps on it yet though.

278d7e64a374de26f==