PDA

View Full Version : first aid to techno !

dfndr
30-01-2004, 09:59 PM
here it is...
all the record labels should put out new releases every 2 months!
not every 2-3 weeks like prime did!
ok some labels are doing like i sed but...
the more you wait the more you respect the quality!!!

killarava2day
31-01-2004, 09:23 AM
They are aren't they. Prime were bad but they certainly did slow up during '03, in fact '02 was similar. Most of my favourite labels are lucky to release 6 or 7 a year these days. Like Planet Rhythm, SUB, Heroes et al haven't had a busy release schedule at all.

I thought that the industry as a whole slowed right up to tread the water as to say last year. That what I was told anysway.

jonnyspeed
31-01-2004, 11:30 AM
There ain't no such thing as too little music. If a label wants to release every day you don't have to buy it - tunes aren't like collecting comics - you don't have to buy it just cos its on a label you like.

basslinejunkie
31-01-2004, 01:44 PM
2 right.quality over quantity any day.

The Overfiend
31-01-2004, 01:59 PM
JUST BUY WHATS GOOD.
THE FANCLUB STUFF HAS TO STOP FOR PEOPLE TO LOOK AT NEW TALENT INSTEAD OF "BIG" NAMES.

dan the acid man
31-01-2004, 02:19 PM
the way i see it is the more releases then the more choice as everybody hasnt got the same tastes, what i think is a good tune somebody else may not. I have to admit though, some of my favourite labels only release 6 or so records a year and most of those records i love. iv'e just totally contradicted myself there have'nt i :roll: but i think what im trying to say is a good mixture always helps, have some labels knocking out the releases every month or more and have some every couple of months

tioneb
31-01-2004, 05:08 PM
the fact is that most of the prime labels had issued so much crap that i didnt listen to them in the sops ...

as i good surprise i got today this joel mull remix on primevil which sounds really good ... just see that the shoop had to sell it 4.50 e so that somebody bothers listening to it ...

that was the problem with prime

Dustin Zahn
31-01-2004, 07:01 PM
The problem with Prime was poor money management. You can't blame any distributor for putting a ton of records out, you need to blame the label and/or producers. Distributors are a business, and they need to keep their doors open as much as anybody else. They're not going to be able to keep their doors open selling obscure stuff that only a portion of the techno heads will dig.

If big time producer x or label y gives them the test presses for their next release, of course they're going to distribute it to the shops and sell it. It's unfortunate, but thats business. Obviously, if these labels manage to stick around someone has got to be buying the releases. Its classic supply and demand. While I agree its a bummer that most of it is bullshit, you have to suck it up and accept it.

dfndr
31-01-2004, 08:11 PM
if techno records ( not like UR or some other detroit stuff-reall underground baby ! :clap: )
were more "hard to find" we would have more "pure" sound...

Dustin Zahn
31-01-2004, 08:21 PM
I wish I could say I agree with you, but I don't. If the distributors didn't put out so much shit music the only difference there would be is there would be less shit we have to sift through. :) The music, the crowds, the attitude, everything about techno has changed so much that its really hard to say if any of us are right anymore. I just choose to accept it and move on. I end up finding some really great techno when I search for it.

There's great stuff out there, you just have to search for it...and when you find it I think it makes it all that much better because you appreciate it more. Thats just my opinion though.

dfndr
31-01-2004, 08:26 PM
good one man... :rambo:

SlavikSvensk
31-01-2004, 08:29 PM
i used to be the record buyer for a techno and hip-hop store near detroit, and what would happen is we'd order 50 records a week and watch the prime records sell first and best. why? because the packaging was so good. nice sleeves, thick vinyl, good mastering. we'd get a bunch of UR, direct beat, purpose maker or black nation records and they were all warped...half would sell to detroit-lovers, the others would sit. and grow more warped.

...so what's the message in this? it takes investment to sell, not just good music. it's sad but true...as long as vinyl is expensive to produce, we need bigger companies to distribute a product people want to buy.

that said, there has got to be a happy medium, and a distributor-in-the-making who will put out interesting records rather than yet another sound-alike primate release. but we as consumers must ensure that this remains economically viable for them to do. labels, i think, should have their signiture sound, but every once in a while take a chance on something different that pushes the genre forward. djs should be more adventurous in what they spin.

but now i'm ranting...

Dustin Zahn
31-01-2004, 08:45 PM
no, you do have a great point that almost belongs as another topic itself. Has anyone ever noticed that a lot of the time (but not all) that the records that sell the most often have a nice product all-around? Nice packaging, thick records, good sound quality etc. I think that as a label owner if you put the professional flavor into your operations that you will succeed with time.

Like you said with a lot of those Detroit records...some are classics but a lot of that stuff including dance mania and whatever else were really horse shit products. Terrible mastering, pressing, packaging, etc. Labels need to take pride in their music!!

SlavikSvensk
31-01-2004, 08:54 PM
your point is right on the money for both detroit and chicago. in "techno rebels" there was some bulls*** about nsc having such great mastering techniques, but that's just a load of crap. their records sound muddy, warp easily, and don't even get me started on the head-scratchingly bad idea of putting two tracks on one side groove after groove, rather than song-after-song. i don't know how many times someone's bumped the decks and dj bone's "turn the lights off" has suddenly become the mediocre electro song on the same side in mid mix...and off tempo!

dfndr
31-01-2004, 09:00 PM
hahahaha...so many painfull memories...

Dustin Zahn
01-02-2004, 12:33 AM
your point is right on the money for both detroit and chicago. in "techno rebels" there was some bulls*** about nsc having such great mastering techniques, but that's just a load of crap. their records sound muddy, warp easily, and don't even get me started on the head-scratchingly bad idea of putting two tracks on one side groove after groove, rather than song-after-song. i don't know how many times someone's bumped the decks and dj bone's "turn the lights off" has suddenly become the mediocre electro song on the same side in mid mix...and off tempo!

I know this all too well! The first time I ever acquired records years ago like that I seriously thought I was on drugs cause the side would keep changing everytime until I got my story straight. NSC is clearly one of the worst plants and I can't believe people still use it to this day.

SlavikSvensk
01-02-2004, 12:55 AM
i think they do that because many detroit people are detroit-o-centric to a fault. not that they are the only ones who think like that in this fractured electronic landscape, only that that is one of the reasons i think detroit techno stagnated after giving us so many amazing records...people there have a hard time seeing quality outside of the city limits. and, on occassion, parts of germany.

basslinejunkie
01-02-2004, 12:31 PM
good point :clap: people often buy using there eyes,particualry when they dont recognise the producer/artist involved.

Ritzi Lee
01-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Yes but why do these Axis cuts sound so great?
As you know this is also manufactured by NSC.

SlavikSvensk
01-02-2004, 06:25 PM
don't get me wrong...i love MANY nsc-made records. hell, red planet's "journey to the martian polar cap" is probably my all-time favorite techno track, not to mention "reverted," etc. i just think that has more to do with the individual talents of the producers than the people cutting the vinyl.

The Overfiend
01-02-2004, 07:16 PM

Because they can afford to ;)

Ritzi Lee
02-02-2004, 10:49 AM

Because they can afford to ;)

good point. ;)
and offcourse they're friends for a long time.
tralala :lol:

duncandisorderly
03-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Has anyone ever noticed that a lot of the time (but not all) that the records that sell the most often have a nice product all-around? Nice packaging, thick records, good sound quality etc.

this is because good records get picked up by good distributors (like prime was) and distributed. this is why prime was one of the leaders of the field and why i still think it was a very bad thing that they went under.

278d7e64a374de26f==