PDA

View Full Version : Notable Techno cities

tonyc2002
10-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Ok, so Detroits an obvious one but what other cities in the world do you think are synonymous with techno and why?

DarkYoung
10-11-2009, 09:32 PM
well i think Sheffield has some tradition.

SlavikSvensk
10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
a lot of techno from birmingham, of course. surgeon, etc.

berlin should be on any list too.

london, as a hub for all electronic music.

rotterdam, i'd say. or the whole netherlands.

stockholm, particularly from the mid-90s on.

for other US cities, i'd suggest minneapolis (woody mcbride, etc.).

TechMouse
10-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Nottingham used to hold it's own.

Been a bit quiet recently, but I understand plans are in the works.

I hear good things about various places in Spain, Portugal, and Eastern Europe.

Izz
10-11-2009, 10:19 PM
LEEDS! Held host to some of the greatest names in techno and a few producers. The Orbit put techno on the map up north and Detatched continues to push things forward and excite.

Lucky ****ers us yorkies :smile:

TechMouse
10-11-2009, 10:21 PM
That's massively true.

I really need to get myself to a Detatched.

teknofilth
11-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Bogota has a wicked techno scene at the moment - lots of stuff going on over there, really exciting vibe there imo

djfilthmonger
11-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Frankfurter
Waterford Ireland even tho it may not be on a big scale as the rest mentioned but for Ireland it has done well over the years

DannyBlack
11-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Waterford was once a GREAT techno 'City'.

djfilthmonger
11-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Waterford was once a GREAT techno 'City'.

still is IMO look at the acts we have had all year. and more to come soon, Billy Nasty , Ben Sims left this year i believe

Jay Pace
11-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Brighton always punched above its weight for a little sea side town.
Luke Slater, cristian vogel, dave clarke... lots of innovators and people who took a different take on things. Big free party scene and there used to be loads of good record shops. BLOC started off in brighton in the same little club we still use, always been a strong following for weirdness and people pushing boundaries.

SlavikSvensk
11-11-2009, 04:05 PM
cologne

Athar
12-11-2009, 11:01 AM
berlin

stjohn
12-11-2009, 11:02 AM
still is IMO look at the acts we have had all year. and more to come soon, Billy Nasty , Ben Sims left this year i believe

theres a difference between booking a few has-beens, and being a place that contributed to the global scene...IMO. but i think Ireland still has its best to offer..

stjohn
12-11-2009, 04:25 PM
theres a difference between booking a few has-beens, and being a place that contributed to the global scene...IMO. but i think Ireland still has its best to offer..

sorry that sounded a bit negative! :D Waterford is great! hey i got arrested there!!

djfilthmonger
12-11-2009, 05:41 PM
sorry that sounded a bit negative! :D Waterford is great! hey i got arrested there!!

ha ha i think i remember you mentioned that on here before.

tonyc2002
13-11-2009, 09:06 AM

good times then! :lol:

FuK-NuT
14-11-2009, 06:40 PM
edinburgh...not as good as it has been was home to many a great night...pure, sativa, ;) jakn, dogma, air bourne etc etc

tekara
15-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Montreal used to have a great techno scene, but I havent been back there in years so I don't know if its still any good.

SlavikSvensk
15-11-2009, 05:05 PM
yeah it did, back in the 90s. toronto too.

TheRev
22-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Maybe not as much today as it once was, but New York definitely has made its contributions to Techno.

Joey Beltram
Frankie Bones
Adam X
Tony Rohr
Steve Stoll
Lenny Dee
Function
Abe Duque

To name a few.....

Radic
22-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Melbourne's had a very good techno scene for a very long time now. The best in Australia for sure. The last couple 3 - 5 years have been up and down but it's still alive :)

Technologic
23-11-2009, 01:15 AM
Ok, so Detroits an obvious one but what other cities in the world do you think are synonymous with techno and why?

Detroit, Chicago, Sau Paulo, Berlin, Frankfurt, Rotterdam, London, Sheffield, Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester, etc etc

Technologic
23-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Melbourne's had a very good techno scene for a very long time now. The best in Australia for sure. The last couple 3 - 5 years have been up and down but it's still alive :)

Perth was good before the millenium but the rave scene went D&B and the club scene went electro house. The free parties are often psy-trance but you'll get the occasional bit of techno thrown in.

There's still the occasonal parties but is by no means what it was, it's generally the inter-state parties and label tours you're likely to hear any big names in techno.

Saying that though I think Adelaide are throwing some big independent parties at the moment as well and YES i agree Melbourne has a good reputation as a clubbing capital.

Tokyo should probably be on the list as well.

tonyc2002
24-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Some good choices on here....now uhm...if you could all write up a 500 word synopsis on your chosen city that would be spanking :cheese:

umotek
31-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Perth was good before the millenium but the rave scene went D&B and the club scene went electro house. The free parties are often psy-trance but you'll get the occasional bit of techno thrown in.

There's still the occasonal parties but is by no means what it was, it's generally the inter-state parties and label tours you're likely to hear any big names in techno.

Saying that though I think Adelaide are throwing some big independent parties at the moment as well and YES i agree Melbourne has a good reputation as a clubbing capital.

Tokyo should probably be on the list as well.

yeah perth techno scene used be huge, all the top acts and djs came on a regular basis, joel mull, devilfish adam beyer and cj bolland , god i so miss those days...

Microdot
02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Manchester.
808 State were one of the first UK acts producing Techno.

And in more recent times, Manchester has had some of the best Techno nights in the country.

278d7e64a374de26f==