PDA

View Full Version : FAO Mac users!

tonyc2002
21-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Please help if you can...

I have a file that is 8.5Gb in size on my PC and want to transfer it to a Mac yet unfortunately the Mac uses the FAT file system and therefore can't handle anything larger than 4.3Gb.

So my question is this.....How do I transfer this data to my FAT formatted portable drive and then from that onto the Mac?

HALP! :hissyfit:

rhythmtech
21-11-2009, 09:13 PM
what kinda file is it?

you could split it over 4 zipped files and transfer.

tonyc2002
21-11-2009, 09:16 PM
its a .dmg (disk image). Would that work? Would I be able to reassemble it on the Mac?

rhythmtech
21-11-2009, 09:23 PM
yeah it would work.

have a look into how to create a "split archive" with stuffit.

tonyc2002
21-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Ok mate thanks I shall have a look into that......I currently have Winrar on the PC but I think Stuffit requires purchase. Do you know if RAR archives are compatible with Mac OS?

Cheers again for ya help! :wink:

rhythmtech
21-11-2009, 09:57 PM
ive no idea if rar works on mac but i presume so as ive often downloaded rar files that have dmg aswell as exe installer in them.

but double check first.

MARK ANXIOUS
22-11-2009, 11:28 PM
rar does work on the mac. you need unrarx - it's a super bit of freeware

i use split and concat to split files on my mac.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/

perhaps you could connect an external drive to ya mac, use split and concat to split it, then transfer it to ya mac hd, then concat it.

ps why the hell is ya mac hd formatted fat anyway? is it cause you wanted to be cross platform when you bought your mac? you might as well use a program called macdrive to do that mate. your mac hd should be mac os extended (journaled) in most cases. perhaps you could reformat or convert?

MARK ANXIOUS
22-11-2009, 11:45 PM
actually i've just re-read your first post and my suspicions are that it isnt your mac that is formatted in fat, like you suspect. the issue is caused cause your external drive is formated in fat, cause this is the only way you THINK that you can get your pc to read it.

macdrive will solve all your problems. format the external hd via ya mac disk utility HFS, install macdrive on ya PC then bam, you're done. best £40 ever. it's the best way i've found that's out there for cross platform transfers bar none....

mind you if you havent got £40, try the split and concat route cause i'm pretty sure that would work for now.

rhythmtech
22-11-2009, 11:57 PM
+1 for macdrive here. i use it all the time for moving sessions from college studios (mac) to home studio (pc)

278d7e64a374de26f==