PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Music - Decks or PC?

dungeon
25-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Seeing as the site has so many DJs on it i figured where else would be ebtter to discuss the merits of mixing music using decks and also by using software on PC.

Here is my take on it,

Whilst software is no substutute for real decks it is a valid tool in the arsenal of any DJ. Whilst i am fully aware of how to mix on decks i have never really had the opportunity to practice and therefore i would prolly suck but because PCs are now so accessable to everyone software mixing is a great way to learn about the concept of mixing, the same basic rules and principles apply to it and i taught myself eveything i know using pc software.

That said the use of software will never fully replace decks as you would lose the control element, decks and a mixer allow you to things that software can only dream of doing, even with the help of external mixers and vst plugins/effects and whatnot. I also firmly believe that even the best mixing softwares sound "fake" when mixing, they struggle to really get two beats over thew top of each other and faders and kill switches sound wierd (as they are emulating an analog device using digital).

I personally prefer Atomix Virtual Dj as whilst it isn't the most feature packed software it is aimed squarley at home users and it doesn't require a software degree to work out how to use it.

I would love to know what you guys think on this topic, and also what do you use when you are doing your mixes?

DannyBlack
25-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Good topic mate!

Personally I prefer decks. The feel of it, the struggle to keep a track mixing and the general aresing around you can do. That is not to say I don';t enjoy a good ableton dabble every now and then. I like the possibilities that ableton brings to the table.

SlavikSvensk
25-11-2009, 03:59 PM
i'm just getting into digital mixing, so i can't really comment fairly, but i do love traditional djing.

ableton is great too but it's not really the same thing at all.

278d7e64a374de26f==