PDA

View Full Version : Joris Voorn on the future of DJing

SlavikSvensk
25-11-2009, 07:43 PM
interesting interview

*Do you still beatmatch?
No I don’t do any pitching at all. All my tracks have beat markers and the computer beatmatches for me.

*People say that’s not the true essence of DJing. Beatmatching is something DJs should do.
What is the definition of DJing?
That is a question that we, as a scene, are trying to answer now. I’ll admit it did feel quite awkward when I stood on stage for the first time after so many years of playing CDs and vinyl, and didn’t have to beatmatch. I suddenly had a lot more time on my hands. The weird thing is that people think DJing is beatmatching. But by letting the computer take care of timing, you can concentrate on the music.

*So what’s your definition of DJing?
DJing is playing music for people. It is knowing what music to play, and when to play it. It’s about being creative with the music you play and making it your own. It’s about making people dance, that’s it. Some things about DJing will never change. For instance, it will always have to be done in real-time. You will always have to plan two or three records ahead.

*Couldn’t the computer just do it all? You could just turn up and press ‘play’?
At the end of the day, you’re also there for your own fun. If you ever find yourself just pressing ‘play’ and not controlling the music in real-time, then you should probably find something else to do.

Joris Voorn Interview About the Future of DJing | DMb | Dance Music blog (http://www.dancemusicblog.com/318-joris-voorn-interview-about-the-future-of-djing)

davethedrummer
25-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Really good answers aren't they?
I know people moan and groan about the beatmatching thing
but he's right, essentially a DJ has to be able to do his thing in real time
and make those choices of tunes, and no, you can't program a computer to do it for you
there's just too many variables, you have to be there selecting it yourself.

the old dub dj's never used to mix , in fact they normally only had one deck :
play the vocal side
play a silly noise with a wozzle ( sound fx ) box whilst flipping it over
play the dub on the b side ( mc chats over the top at this point )

REWIND SELECTA !!!!!

CTRLS
26-11-2009, 01:09 AM
I essentially agree and i love a well done ableton/traktor set but i still think it's got ways to go as far as sound quality is concerned, and traktor/ableton mixes also tend to feel really stiff compared to nicely beatmatched mixes. Unless something really drastic happens, tempomapping/timestreteching/warping will always mean a loss in sound quality and i'm not a fan of how it tends to lock everything with an iron grasp to the tempo. its convenient but not very funky. Also, the fact that all the music (more or less) is being done on computers with digital plugins now means the highs are harsher then they were a decade ago, timestretching will only make this worse.

If you've got your gear in order, like summing through an allen & heath or something and knowing what fx generate evil highs and things like that, you can get things sounding pretty decent. that almost requires sound engineer/producer level skills though and most laptop djs wont have those. i've seen quite a few laptop sets that really fell short and i think we'll be seeing more of those in the future untill either experience or technology fixes that soundquality issue.

Darkmode
26-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I agree he made some very good points I'm turning to digital DJ'ing I know how to beat match & I know how to program a set I don't need to prove my self on the decks with vinyl

I'm looking forward to getting into digital DJ'ing as it looks like a lot of fun & looks very creative with what you can do with it

I know there is a lot of vinyl purists turn their noses up at digital DJ'ing saying it's not real DJ'ing or that it's cheating but it's best to let people like that get on with it as they will only get left behind

I'm starting to feel limited using vinly as there is loads of good music getting released that is digital releases only

Igneous
26-11-2009, 02:04 PM
I agree with most of what you've said Darkmode.

The last gig I played at, in feb, there were no turntables in the building. I had to struggle through my set on the latest pioneer cd decks which I'd only used once before.

I think these days, people should just try to ignore the format that people are playing music on & just judge the music on what they hear. If it sounds phat then it doesn't matter how the DJ is doing it. The last couple of parties I've been to the best set have been on the 1s & 2s funnly enough though.

The only slight consern I have is the cost of being a current DJ these days. Your looking at a couple of grand at least to get a Macbook, the software & hardware just to get started in digital. I just can't afford to spend that much on a hobby.

DannyBlack
26-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Playing music for people who want to dance. Format is no issue any more really.

The_Laughing_Man
26-11-2009, 04:43 PM
I agree with most of what you've said Darkmode.

The last gig I played at, in feb, there were no turntables in the building. I had to struggle through my set on the latest pioneer cd decks which I'd only used once before.

I think these days, people should just try to ignore the format that people are playing music on & just judge the music on what they hear. If it sounds phat then it doesn't matter how the DJ is doing it. The last couple of parties I've been to the best set have been on the 1s & 2s funnly enough though.

The only slight consern I have is the cost of being a current DJ these days. Your looking at a couple of grand at least to get a Macbook, the software & hardware just to get started in digital. I just can't afford to spend that much on a hobby.

You don`t need a macbook
A well set up pc will serve you just as well.
I`ve never had my set up crash and I`ve been playing live pa`s for years.

SlavikSvensk
26-11-2009, 04:51 PM
i thought the interview was really interesting, and he has a major point to make...if you don't have to beatmatch anymore, why bother?

i get it and i agree, in many ways. most djs, particularly those who are concerned primarily with record selection and smooth mixes, are better served by digital media and technology than traditional turntable mixing. not beatmatching frees you to do a lot of other stuff, and to expand the experience you give the audience in many ways.

that said, there is a certain spontaneity and energy that i've only ever seen with a dj using turntables. jeff mills circa "live at the liquid room," derrick may when he's not bored, clade young, ben sims, etc. taking that "danger" out of the set saps the energy. so i think there will always be a place for traditional turntable mixing, and i will always get a special enjoyment out of seeing a truly masterful dj.

Darkmode
26-11-2009, 08:02 PM
At the end of the day it don't matter what you use as long as you play good music & get people dancing

years ago when the electric guitar first came out people who played with acoustic guitar slated the electric guitar saying it wasent real guitar playing

also the same when the synthesizer came out people said music made with a synthesizer wasent real music

which is a bit simular to people who saying DJ'ing with a laptop isn't real DJ'ing

musical instruments & music technology has changed & moved forward through the years to which gives artists the tools to be more creative & I don't see anything wrong with it at tall!

markandrew
26-11-2009, 08:41 PM
At the end of the day it don't matter what you use as long as you play good music & get people dancing

been saying this all along digital djing is where its going but vinyl is gettin phased out tho if you think beatmatchings important theres Digital Vinyl Systems if it aint then ableton alot of venues don t have 1210s anymore just cdjs

basslinejunkie
27-11-2009, 09:20 AM
i find it hard to take anything he says seriously,considering he once was an excellent techno dj and now plays borderline house. and shit house at that.

lunatrick
27-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I think the guys very talented - frankly he can play how he likes - esp as he's probably playing a lot of his own productions anyway, in which case the lines between a dj set and a live PA are blurred.

However when I see Rithie Hawtin mixing on four decks with no headphones on just playing a bassline here and a beat there and f*cking about with effects (badly imo) it does make you wonder....but perhaps thats just Ritchies problem. :)

I've moved to Traktor scratch and there's no way I would go back, I use it in vinyl emulation mode so I'm still mixing live. The effects are good and also it's much cheaper as I'm only forking out for one track for £1.50 instead of 6 or 7 quid for maybe only one track I want. Also there's no problem with getting parcels delivered - just so much easier. I can spend ten or 15 quid and feel like I've got half a new record box.

@Igneous - I use a Dell laptop and once you tweak it (switch the wireless card off and play about with the latency) it works fine.

has anybody heard the rumours that Technics are stopping manufacturing of 1200's/1210's soon?

Darkmode
27-11-2009, 10:56 AM
i find it hard to take anything he says seriously,considering he once was an excellent techno dj and now plays borderline house. and shit house at that.

So basicly your saying you can't take him seriously because he don't play as much Techno as he used to?

if that is the case that is being a bit narrowed minded

would you take him more seriously if he was playing more Techno?

Igneous
27-11-2009, 11:14 AM
@Igneous - I use a Dell laptop and once you tweak it (switch the wireless card off and play about with the latency) it works fine.

Cheers for the tip. I've got a Dell laptop, might have to look into getting some software & hardware. I had Final Scratch for a couple of years which was good but the software went haywire on my puter so I got rid.

basslinejunkie
27-11-2009, 01:12 PM
So basicly your saying you can't take him seriously because he don't play as much Techno as he used to?

if that is the case that is being a bit narrowed minded

would you take him more seriously if he was playing more Techno?

basically yes. how can you take somebody seriously when they are following the money, rather than the love of what they do?

im not gona get into the minimal debate for the millionth time, but people like voorn,carrola etc used to make and play great techno,now they make and play sub standard shite.why? money.imo of course. whcih is fair enough, exploiting a new market,all got to earn a living etc.however that does mean i like the direction they have gone.

lunatrick
27-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Cheers for the tip. I've got a Dell laptop, might have to look into getting some software & hardware. I had Final Scratch for a couple of years which was good but the software went haywire on my puter so I got rid.

you do really need to dedicate the laptop to it to get the best setup...but even one a few years old should handle it esp. if you get the external audio-8 interface which is excellent.

SlavikSvensk
27-11-2009, 03:29 PM
what someone plays and how they play it are two separate issues IMO.

years ago when the electric guitar first came out people who played with acoustic guitar slated the electric guitar saying it wasent real guitar playing

also the same when the synthesizer came out people said music made with a synthesizer wasent real music

which is a bit simular to people who saying DJ'ing with a laptop isn't real DJ'ing

musical instruments & music technology has changed & moved forward through the years to which gives artists the tools to be more creative & I don't see anything wrong with it at tall!

interesting analogy. of course, acoustic guitars have remained relevant musically, so i'd argue traditional DJing will as well.

koma
27-11-2009, 04:37 PM
has anybody heard the rumours that Technics are stopping manufacturing of 1200's/1210's soon?

its not a rumour, manufacturing stops february 2010

Hoth System
27-11-2009, 04:48 PM
So do digital DJs still want to have their own stuff released on vinyl? Seems to me that vinyl releases on quality labels (Token, Audio Assault, Naked Lunch, Warm Up, BOA of course) are still held in pretty high regard, an indication that the format is still holding its own.

koma
27-11-2009, 04:48 PM
but people like voorn,carrola etc used to make and play great techno,now they make and play sub standard shite.why? money.

i dont think its money. i think its natural that after xy years you are changing your approach towards music, your preferences etc, people change, and so is their music

and i wouldnt really call everything joris plays house music, there's plenty of techno in his sets, only slower

besides, so much music out there is so hard to categorise and if its good i dont really feel the need to do it anyway, i'll rather spend my time enjoying it... its really bad/sad to be limited to only electronic music, or even one subgenre... imo limited people shouldnt be dj-ing anyway

ps. interesting how people were hating on richie when he said his computer does beatmatching for him, but not a single word when joris mentioned it hehe

koma
27-11-2009, 05:54 PM

lol, seems like i need to correct myself.
rumors arent true
they're taking 1200/1210 MK5 off market in NZ & that is all

Darkmode
27-11-2009, 08:18 PM
basically yes. how can you take somebody seriously when they are following the money, rather than the love of what they do?

im not gona get into the minimal debate for the millionth time, but people like voorn,carrola etc used to make and play great techno,now they make and play sub standard shite.why? money.imo of course. whcih is fair enough, exploiting a new market,all got to earn a living etc.however that does mean i like the direction they have gone.

I saw Joris play in Newcastle last year & he played an amazing set he played Techno which deep & Detroit style & some good House music not cheesey House music so the stuff he was playing was certinly not sub standard shite!

SlavikSvensk
27-11-2009, 08:30 PM
i haven't seen him in years but i heard a few recent sets that i thought were pretty good

qUE
28-11-2009, 02:50 PM

You've got my vote! :)

I hear V-Tech are bringing out a laptop DJing system, now even the kids can get in on this wonderful world of "DJing".

markandrew
28-11-2009, 08:02 PM
I saw Joris play in Newcastle last year & he played an amazing set he played Techno which deep & Detroit style & some good House music not cheesey House music so the stuff he was playing was certinly not sub standard shite!

am with ya theres nothing sub standard about joris voorn his essential mix this year was quality don t give a **** what he mixes with :smile:

Jay Pace
28-11-2009, 09:49 PM

I don't think its necessarily about money. Times change, and people move on.

SlavikSvensk
28-11-2009, 09:55 PM
joris voorn has always played house records. he's one of those djs who doesn't really see the point in separating techno and house, provided they are good.

basslinejunkie
28-11-2009, 11:40 PM
hmmmm.last set i heard was poop. i know hes always had a different style to most,used to love it.

Koenig
01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Saw him at Space 3 months ago with Del May and Carl Craig.
He was spectacularly shit (epic buildup/dreabkdown rubbish), even Carl Craig made a fool of him, and he cant mix for toffee.

teknonotice
02-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Joris will be in Malta early next year playing Sky Club...will cast my votes then..

As for how a DJ makes people dance...Im sure there are many clubbers that dont analyse how a DJ produces/delivers a set..By a clubber I mean a punter that doesnt produce or DJ...obviously those that do are much more analytical of how/what/why

Personally I still prefer the touch of vinyl..the loudness, the quality. Feels less mechanical and much more natural. Personal tatse though and fair play to those that integrate numerous new, and old technologies to get poeple moving. Thus said IMO beatmatching provides a rush and energy into a set; the visual element of seeing the record I also find of benefit.

IMO Kids today cant afford vinyl..some kids here in malta arent even strong enough to cart round a big bag of rubber..they actually moan about it. The upcoming DJs here who perform 2-3 times a week cant access much vinyl either due to no shop..even if we did have a record shop they cant afford a new set each week..

Si the Sigh
02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
These would be wise words if Joris could mix well.

However, he can't, so that's just a load of shat chat.

BranLanen
02-12-2009, 03:07 PM
I hear V-Tech are bringing out a laptop DJing system, now even the kids can get in on this wonderful world of "DJing".

:lol:

BranLanen
02-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Personally I still prefer the touch of vinyl..the loudness, the quality. Feels less mechanical and much more natural. Personal tatse though and fair play to those that integrate numerous new, and old technologies to get poeple moving. Thus said IMO beatmatching provides a rush and energy into a set; the visual element of seeing the record I also find of benefit.

+1

CTRLS
03-12-2009, 07:13 AM
and no, you can't program a computer to do it for you
there's just too many variables, you have to be there selecting it yourself.

you seen those radio sites that learn your musical taste? they're getting pretty good at it. in theory if you collect enough data to predict a club crowd... worryingly, you probably can program a computer to perform an alright set, selecting tunes and mixing by itself, in a few years. sorry to hijack but can you imagine going out to see a computer spin? i don't know whether to be scared or excited :lol:

qUE
04-12-2009, 10:56 PM
you seen those radio sites that learn your musical taste? they're getting pretty good at it. in theory if you collect enough data to predict a club crowd... worryingly, you probably can program a computer to perform an alright set, selecting tunes and mixing by itself, in a few years. sorry to hijack but can you imagine going out to see a computer spin? i don't know whether to be scared or excited :lol:

You are way too close to the truth. I'm a developer of live music production systems, fortunately the only things I allow for pre-production wise are pre-note/sound sequencing, maybe human impossible effecting and nothing else. I personally feel you're cheating an audience if you make it so you can literally press a key and everything happens. Ableton/equivelent currently allows you to do this with sounds and effects, it's far too easy to sit there with pre-sequenced loops and effects and just wave your arms then maybe press a key. The only thing missing at the moment is switching the laptop on, pressing a key and going and jumping around in the audience. Maybe next? If not now?

The fact is, who has the name, who's making the money? It's as far from underground as you can get.

Technologic
05-12-2009, 04:10 AM
Playing music for people who want to dance. Format is no issue any more really.

This.

The prefered format is entirely down to the artist, some love vinyl, some love, CD's etc etc, just personal preference really and when it comes to the crunch, it doesn't really matter as long as people are having fun.

teknonotice
05-12-2009, 07:59 AM
YouTube - Bionic Events Promo Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ldBeJXyqg&feature=player_embedded)

quite a differnce eh?

davethedrummer
05-12-2009, 04:17 PM

only the mk5's
the mk5v2's with the blue lights and the originals are still in production.
apparently

( sorry just read the other post about this , when will I ever learn eh ? )

davethedrummer
05-12-2009, 04:18 PM
am with ya theres nothing sub standard about joris voorn his essential mix this year was quality don t give a **** what he mixes with :smile:

yeah I saw him at apokalypsa a couple of years ago and he was wicked

davethedrummer
05-12-2009, 04:26 PM

like the "genius" on itunes you mean ?
unfortunately at the moment , because all my tracks are either promos or underground techno tracks
the old itunes "genius " still can't work out what the **** I am listening to.
every time I've tried it (for a laugh )
it's said something along the lines of: "sorry mate but if you started listening to PROPER music I could help you"

but I'm sure it won't be long before we can all upload our curret chart to the event website
and they can program an automatic "dj BOt" to mix it all for us

the worlds first automated rave?

the only thing is you don't have to pay the DJ
or put up with their shitty attitudes or drunken behaviour.

next step : get rid of the need to have people at the event at all.

MITA
05-12-2009, 04:35 PM
plug ur brain n partee

CTRLS
05-12-2009, 05:49 PM
like the "genius" on itunes you mean ?
unfortunately at the moment , because all my tracks are either promos or underground techno tracks
the old itunes "genius " still can't work out what the **** I am listening to.
every time I've tried it (for a laugh )
it's said something along the lines of: "sorry mate but if you started listening to PROPER music I could help you"

but I'm sure it won't be long before we can all upload our curret chart to the event website
and they can program an automatic "dj BOt" to mix it all for us

the worlds first automated rave?

the only thing is you don't have to pay the DJ
or put up with their shitty attitudes or drunken behaviour.

next step : get rid of the need to have people at the event at all.

i didnt even know itunes had one. there are ones that handle drum'n'bass pretty well at least. i'm a dj as well and am not crazy about robots taking over my job but arent you at least curious to see how good a computer can dj and if its potentially better then humans? i am.

278d7e64a374de26f==