PDA

View Full Version : Adams A7s vs Focal CMS 65 vs Tannoy Precision 8D

Si.
26-11-2009, 04:54 PM
On the market for a set of monitors... Was convinced to go for adams but doubts have entered my mind of late!

Anyone any experience as to how they compare to the Focals or Tannoys? Is there any other monitors in a similar price range that would be better?

Low end is important to me so thinking of Focals and eventually a sub...

The_Laughing_Man
26-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I`ve heard nothing but great things about the Focals for being very natural sounding.
Adams are great and the only monitors I have had experience of out of your list. They are very easy to work on but the bass response doesn`t go that low so you really have to understand them.

You best bet is to go and demo them all with material you know well.

rhythmtech
26-11-2009, 07:25 PM
focals all the way. no question.

BloodStar
27-11-2009, 08:25 AM
got a7s and they're not bad. bass doesnt go too low, but as i see tech specs of the Focals, bass will be more or less same.

Another must hear speaker is deffinitely Dynaudio BM6A. Would prefer them over all models you mentioned.

Si.
27-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Nice one for the reply lads! Will def have to compare adams vs focals. Used the adams before and found them crystal. Heard the focals are even better tho... Those Dynaudio look great but are out of the price range... Pushing it a bit with the focals!

Cheers

The_Laughing_Man
27-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah the Dynaudios BM6A are superb monitors for the price!!!

It`s a matter of personal taste, I don`t think the Focals will be "better" as it`s fairly subjective.
It all depends on what you want and what you prefer. Forward voicing, or natural or whatever.
Test em.

Si.
27-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Ye think it that price range there won't be a massive difference anyway... Will check em all out. Nice one again for the replies

loopdon
29-11-2009, 05:12 PM
I have the A7s. And i like them. The bass could go deeper but of course there's limits when the casing is so small.

The focals are supposed to be very good as well but due to the tweeters' material need an extra 'burn-in time'. Make sure you check the focals somewhere where they have been used for a while.

CTRLS
11-12-2009, 05:12 PM
a7s are nice but the hi end is so aggro. i've got p33s which have the same tweeter and the more experienced i get the more sick of it i become. its great for looking deep into the mix but it doesnt really sound that natural and after long sessions all that hi end hurts my (admittedly already damaged) ears.

i can vouch for the 'natural' focal sound as well as it being extremely easy to hear compression on them.

278d7e64a374de26f==