PDA

View Full Version : I hate showboating, but the people who do it play to a bigger crowd than I do

qUE
20-12-2009, 10:49 PM
is it really a part of playing out now?

If only I had bigger tits.

DannyBlack
21-12-2009, 12:49 AM
how do you mean mate? When i play i like to bounce around and be a bit lively behind the decks.

Barely Human
21-12-2009, 08:34 AM
I love to bounce around like an idiot when playing. Just like I like to when I'm on the dancefloor.

I know a lot of DJ's who never dance. I find that strange.

Jay Pace
21-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I would dance, but my glasses steam up and my polo neck starts to chafe.

ritaheed
21-12-2009, 05:13 PM
nothing wrong with a jump about behind the dex..... all this hands in the air piish can do one tho!

stjohn
21-12-2009, 05:23 PM

YouTube - DJ Beauty @ KaZa???? 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZzusNWCbv8)

Luke_C
21-12-2009, 06:07 PM
YouTube - DJ Beauty @ KaZa???? 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZzusNWCbv8)

Nice tits, but ridiculous imo lol i like to dance and have a laugh like when i am at a gig, but i like to mix too! haha

teknorich
21-12-2009, 10:11 PM
She's dancing at leat twice as fast as the crowd behind her. What's that all about?!

The Overfiend
22-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I prefer to go from business, to intense looks, to heandbanging.
Working the crowd?
NO
The whole point is to hear the music, not to watch me in concert.

qUE
31-12-2009, 04:15 AM
To try and clarify. I'm quite an intense person anyway, I spend way too much time trying to be clinical about stuff what with being a computer programmer, etc. I find I can't find the time to even look at people bouncing around to music I play let alone wave my arms to what ever is going on with beat/sound progressions. I'm generally busy loading floppy discs (yes I still use those) into the sampler (roland W30) and the sequencer (my "ancient" Acorn A3000 computer) aand monkeying around with the mixer.

Of course I could always use a premixed audio file, play that and do the business. This as far as I know has been how the music industry does it. But personally it'd play on my conscience, and boy do I have a heavy conscience.

Now that you all know I have a heavy conscience, you can flame me now.

/me expects teh flame

umotek
31-12-2009, 04:51 AM

i reckon shes on it of some sort, she looks f***en ridicules though

In my opinion i think its important to have that crowd interaction, whether it be a simple punch in the air or bobbing up and down or even a simple eye contact. But there is a line that you have to draw and dj beauty is that line

Ive seen so many acts and djs who do absolutely nothing, not even a wave goodbye after their set, they are just snobs who's in it for the money...

DannyBlack
31-12-2009, 08:25 AM
DJ beauty.... while I would give her one, she annoys the shit out of me.

davethedrummer
31-12-2009, 12:26 PM

1. yes it is
2. and if only you did you would be famous.
3. get a job
4. stop complaining
5. wear your pants on your head next time you play and get a mate to video it

djfilthmonger
31-12-2009, 01:00 PM
1. yes it is
3. get a job
4. stop complaining

:lol:

Honeey
31-12-2009, 11:05 PM

Good Lord would someone please find that woman a bra!!!........and some talent.

DannyBlack
01-01-2010, 01:00 AM
good christ, watch the start of this HAHA

YouTube - DJ ????? BEAUTY :) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZETZQWvCFY)

Id pay top dollar to see DAVE or the liberators mime to tunes hahaha

umotek
01-01-2010, 01:57 AM
good christ, watch the start of this HAHA

YouTube - DJ ????? BEAUTY :) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZETZQWvCFY)

Id pay top dollar to see DAVE or the liberators mime to tunes hahaha

what a muppet!!!

DarkYoung
01-01-2010, 02:12 AM
happy new year guys

YouTube - Rod Stewart - I am Sailing w/ lyrics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1v60FITAfY)

MARK ANXIOUS
01-01-2010, 06:23 PM
showboating or 'putting on a show' is really important these days.

whether that's a wiggle of ya eyebrow or screaming 'come on you wankers!', its helps get a reaction from a crowd and that, folks, is the name of the game i'm afraid.

the 'line' in my eyes is the 'reason' why it's being done. if it's to get women to suck you dry and make the whole party about you, then that's where it becomes really horrible and cringeworthy to watch.

to me it needs to be done to 'add to' the experience of the music. once it takes over from the music, you've got a problem.

With that DJ Beauty, although she has incredible tits, it's all about her. And where is the attention to details on the mixes? I mean where did she learn those dance moves? On Top Of The Pops?

But then again I hear the type of music she's playing and it all falls into place....

Jake Conlon
01-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Peter Hook is my idol.

Honeey
01-01-2010, 11:31 PM
I love techno because you actually have to work it behind the decks :)

morbid
01-01-2010, 11:55 PM
DJ Beauty has incredible tits

Quick summary

The_Laughing_Man
02-01-2010, 03:51 AM
showboating or 'putting on a show' is really important these days.

whether that's a wiggle of ya eyebrow or screaming 'come on you wankers!', its helps get a reaction from a crowd and that, folks, is the name of the game i'm afraid.

PUTTING ON a show.
Putting on, as in pretense.
I would rather an artist be honest, than put on an "act".
I leave that for X-Factor.

Why is show boating important?
Important for what?
To what end?

Don`t play the game.
Subvert the game.
Destroy the game.
Circumvent the game.
Phuck the game.

Only the spirit of punk can save us from this bullshit.

-LETHAL-ONE-
02-01-2010, 05:37 AM
WTF!!! CHECK OUT THIS GUY.....

YouTube - (9) Alex M.O.R.P.H. "Purple Audio" Release & HeavensGate #150 Bochum 13/06/2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbqM8eKepmQ)

SOME PEOPLE TRY TOO HARD..... :confused:

.................................................. .................................................. ..

-LETHAL-ONE-
02-01-2010, 05:41 AM
PUTTING ON a show.
Putting on, as in pretense.
I would rather an artist be honest, than put on an "act".
I leave that for X-Factor.

Why is show boating important?
Important for what?
To what end?

Don`t play the game.
Subvert the game.
Destroy the game.
Circumvent the game.
Phuck the game.

Only the spirit of punk can save us from this bullshit.

+1,000,000 :yup:

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Darkmode
02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
I think your complaining about something that is not even worth complaining about

teknorich
02-01-2010, 01:20 PM
That Alex MORPH guy is exactly how I'd imagine Paul Gascoine would be if he did a DJ set. I'm absolutely amazed there wasn't a shower of bottles raining down on him from the crowd...

AWFUL!

:no:

DannyBlack
02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
its all the one really. you like to have a giggle behind the decks or you don't. Just don't be a cringy f*ck and you're sorted.

The_Laughing_Man
02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
+1,000,000 :yup:

That`s not to say you should wear a black polar neck and try to be a too-cool-for-school statue of indifference.
But you can tell when turntable monkeys are putting it on.

DannyBlack
02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
when reaches the point of looking like someones dad doing a wedding dance- stop.

until then bounce/ponce around and connect with the crowd.

qUE
03-01-2010, 03:15 AM
1. yes it is
3. get a job
4. stop complaining

Oi!

I'd rather be on the dole, it'd give me time to do my stuff rather than be paid to wipe peoples arses in an industry they suck up to and I don't. And, I'm british, it's my right to moan about inane things!

But TBH, Mark and yourself are right in terms of the general public's preception. It seems that if you make lots of bodily movements during a set people assume you're actually doing something, otherwise they get suspicious.

In my personal experience; I've heard from the grapevine, punters questioning if I've truely played live during my sets (which I have of course, why else would I bring a ton of gear and spend quite a while setting it up before hand). I still can't help but feel it would have probably been wise to stick a couple of sponge hands to my shoulders and bounce left and right :/

qUE
03-01-2010, 03:53 AM
Anyway, right, real reason I started this thread...

I saw Wolfgang Flur (who's now know as Yamo) from Kraftwerk last year in Bristol, whilst it was great listening to him do a reading/talk about his time in Kraftwerk, the music he produces now is really generic, and sure enough the set he played after the speech was a typical laptop affair and he was clearly shown how to do showboating (much dad dance). Now I know Wolfgang was mearly a percussionist in the band (not to discredit him as a member of it) and Kraftwerk made pop music. That gig coupled with seeing Chris Leibing for the second time doing his car parcel shelf nodding dog impression and probably countless other artists I've gone to seen in recent years, has tarnished something for me. They've all been a part of something I've respected and to see them play to crowds which TBH couldn't care less whatever they're listening to/paid to see, and the artist play accordingly to that, is slightly disheartening.

There was once a time when electronic music was exotic, faux pas and cutting edge (way before "Techno"), why should it lose this?

Why has it become normal for artists to play really dumbed down music and pretend orchestrate the sound with bodily movements?

And more importantly why do the general public want and accept this???

And I'm not ****ing confused.whatever, **** television to.

/me launches TV through window

Jake Conlon
03-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Live Performance in the Age of Supercomputing (http://monolake.de/interviews/supercomputing.html)

&

Live Performance in the Age of Supercomputing II (http://monolake.de/interviews/hitchhiker.html)

The_Laughing_Man
03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
It seems that if you make lots of bodily movements during a set people assume you're actually doing something, otherwise they get suspicious.

This is it in essence.
Well done.
It`s all about the illusion of activity.
If the whole DJ as god hype never came about, DJ`s would be able to do their jobs, and play records and not have to bother with the pretense and all the other crap. Unfortunately X-Factor pop marketing took DJing to a point where the DJ became the star and not the music and it trickled down into the underground eventually, and then expectations of performance crept in.

Now you have turntable monkeys having to jump through hoops and balance a ball on their nose like a performing zoo animal, just to make sure they still get their fish.
It`s why I abandoned Dirty Bass. I didn`t like how the more commercial side of techno had changed.

Techno isn`t underground any more, it`s already been through it`s commercial peak. Now it`s just unpopular.
I still love it more than any other music though.

Jake Conlon
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Techno isn`t underground any more, it`s already been through it`s commercial peak. Now it`s just unpopular.
I still love it more than any other music though.

10 years ago to the hour, many trance mans probaly said exactly the same thing. :lol:

The_Laughing_Man
03-01-2010, 04:10 PM
10 years ago to the hour, many trance mans probaly said exactly the same thing. :lol:

The difference being trance always had a larger commercial potential, so when it settled after it`s peak, along with mainstream house, it still remains the mainstream of dance music.
Techno was always niche, it reached it`s niche peak and then returned to it`s post hype mean.
It still absorbed enough of the ugliness of the commercial scene though.

Mnml is massively popular, but it`s so close to house it`s interchangeable.

But blah blah anyway, back to the subject.

Acting like a performing monkey is necessary for mainstream popularity, if that is what you want.

DannyBlack
03-01-2010, 05:01 PM
hold the ****ing phone lads....

There's a lot of bitter sounding bitching here. Let me get this right, a DJ plays some tunes and if he dances (because he likes it) and connects with the crowd in any way he negates the whole thing?

Bollocks.

Or is this about the boring music people seem to be playing?

Why not stop Techno all together? Why not start wearing tight cardigans and thick black rimmed glasses and become a trendy indie kid?

This thread is bullshit.

DannyBlack
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I love to get up there and bang out tunes that people dance to, I love to throw my hands up in the air and bounce around like a tool, because im feeling the buzz of it all. (i dont go over the top)

One thing i hate is someone that stands up there lifeless, its f*cking boring. You may as well throw a CD on.

The_Laughing_Man
03-01-2010, 05:15 PM
hold the ****ing phone lads....

There's a lot of bitter sounding bitching here. Let me get this right, a DJ plays some tunes and if he dances (because he likes it) and connects with the crowd in any way he negates the whole thing?

Bollocks.

Or is this about the boring music people seem to be playing?

Why not stop Techno all together? Why not start wearing tight cardigans and thick black rimmed glasses and become a trendy indie kid?

This thread is bullshit.

I think the point is the pretense.
You can tell the difference between someone playing music and digging it themselves, having a groove on, and then X-Factor performing monkey bollocks.

On is natural and honest.
The other is an act.
If someone is playing music and feel thay have to, rather than want to "perform" then it is gash.

DannyBlack
03-01-2010, 05:19 PM
very true. well yeah i get it from that point. Tiesto and that gormless shite guetta spring to mind.

SlavikSvensk
03-01-2010, 05:30 PM
i like seeing djs get excited by the music. but that only matters if a) the music is good; and b) the performance, i.e. the mixing, is good.

there's nothing sillier than seeing a dj ham it up and take a bow when doing absolutely nothing.

The_Laughing_Man
03-01-2010, 05:30 PM
If the DJ is shit hot and playing good tunes, they probably won`t have time to do silly Jedward dance moves anyway.

Mills is a good example, gets on with his job, smashes the place to bits (when he is on it, obviously), doesn`t put on an act.
Surgeon is another good example. Good at what he does, doesn`t need to have an act.
Leave all that shit for the Tidy DJ`s
http://www.famemagazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/yoji1.jpg

Isn`t that why we have lasers, strobes, smoke machines, gobo scans, LED panels, projections etc?

SlavikSvensk
03-01-2010, 05:35 PM
well, mills also does his little shake dance while he's at it. that's not showboating, and it's not what makes him a great dj, but it is part of the performance. that's a good example of what i'm talking about...performers getting down as they do their thang. i enjoy seeing that.

that guy in the leather vest is an uberdouche

davethedrummer
04-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Live Performance in the Age of Supercomputing (http://monolake.de/interviews/supercomputing.html)

&

Live Performance in the Age of Supercomputing II (http://monolake.de/interviews/hitchhiker.html)

wow ! a whole page to justify the fact that he can't play an instrument
learn the piano mate

The_Laughing_Man
05-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Isn`t this thread about snowboarding anyway?

Jake Conlon
05-01-2010, 10:11 AM
learn the piano mate

I think that's what he was trying to get at. Piano players understand Piano, whilst the rest of the world just her plinky plonk but still relate the actions.

Computer music people generally know whats going on in a live performance for example an Ableton effect is able to be picked up by the knowledgeable listener. The listener who doesn't have a clue or care wouldn't associate that effect without anything as they haven't seen anything action to associate it with.

This is where all the showboating fandango comes in. Seen as 90% of a club don't give a toss, they need something.

(I would have explained this better but I am typing on a netbook where one key is half the size of my fingr.)

CTRLS
05-01-2010, 06:42 PM
well, mills also does his little shake dance while he's at it. that's not showboating, and it's not what makes him a great dj, but it is part of the performance. that's a good example of what i'm talking about...performers getting down as they do their thang. i enjoy seeing that.

this. octave one are so enjoyable to watch, massive amounts of energy to the crowd. same with may. i guess the trick is to find a dance you can do while you're performing :lol:

some of my favourite jazz players look like complete spengs when they do their thing, i always believed that immersion is what makes them so good.

crime
05-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Ha! The first time I read that I thought it said "PISS your pants next time you play and get a mate to video it" :D

crime
05-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I remember the days when it wasn't about looking at the DJ, but at the other people dancing around you.. probably where it all started to go wrong with paying attention to what the DJ was doing visually, sod that, it was about the music...

Jay Pace
05-01-2010, 08:47 PM
http://electroyhouse.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/tiesto6.jpg

This is your god.

Kneel before him, maggots.

DarkYoung
05-01-2010, 08:52 PM

This is your god.

i hate nights like that, i don't think i've done one period. talk about sheep.

DarkYoung
05-01-2010, 08:54 PM
I remember the days when it wasn't about looking at the DJ, but at the other people dancing around you.. probably where it all started to go wrong with paying attention to what the DJ was doing visually, sod that, it was about the music...
innit. i used to go the headcharge nights and havok nights (in sheffield) about 3 times a month back in the day.
the djs were amazing, but everyone was too off their head, having a good time to be really noticing anything the dj was doing, they may aswell have been invisible.

well that's not strictly true, i think i'd be the one always trying to shake the dj's hand.
and dave the drummer got me removed from the side of the dj booth for being in some catatonic trance staring at him.

try doing that at one of those parties like watching U2 or summat.

-LETHAL-ONE-
06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
and dave the drummer got me removed from the side of the dj booth for being in some catatonic trance staring at him.

Funny stuff man.....

qUE
06-01-2010, 12:51 AM
innit. i used to go the headcharge nights and havok nights (in sheffield) about 3 times a month back in the day.
the djs were amazing, but everyone was too off their head, having a good time to be really noticing anything the dj was doing, they may aswell have been invisible.

well that's not strictly true, i think i'd be the one always trying to shake the dj's hand.

Ha ha, I'm sure we've all been there doing DJ watching.

Only time I've asked people to politely step away is when they're off their heads and they've got a pint in their hand, hovering over computer monitors or other mains fed kit :/
It's more for their safety than anything, most of my computer kit is salvaged :)

qUE
06-01-2010, 12:57 AM
learn the piano mate

Bear in mind they're responsible for Ableton;

ableton live (http://www.monolake.de/technology/ableton_live.html)

SlavikSvensk
06-01-2010, 01:37 AM

&

really interesting articles!

Jake Conlon
06-01-2010, 05:43 PM
really interesting articles!

Yeah, Robert Henke definitely isn't one of the guetta style showboaters but his article makes you realise why some people need that to latch onto.

kiddie school simple concept tbh, but this is techno and we have to chin about everything.

The_Laughing_Man
06-01-2010, 06:56 PM
There is a reason why the most undercomplex, most generic music often works best for DJs - a sound design that has been tested in thousands of clubs most likely work in yet another club too. However, this does not serve the evolution of music, and it is quite boring. We know that a Roland TR-808 bassdrum works in a club. Fine, lets find a less overused sound. How can we do so, if we cannot hear it?

Club music could be far more advanced if the creators would have more control over their work. However, this means investing time and effort in convincing promoters and PA guys. And it means questioning the usual routine. Do I need to be on stage? Do i need to have monitors? Can I find a space in the middle of the room? Am I comfortable not to be seen as the untouchable star far away?

Got to agree with this 100%
All my best PA`s have been when the promoters have allowed me to set up on the dance floor, or in front of the DJ set up, so that I can work from the PA and not from the inevitably useless stage monitors.
Not only that it gives the audience more of a chance to see me actually playing live, and I get the chance to be with them.
I hate being on stage, the fun is on the floor.

davethedrummer
06-01-2010, 08:23 PM

I'm sure you deserved it.

by the way I nearly had a fight with a bloke in Austria
who insisted on ****ing about with the mixer while I was playing,
every time I went for a new record he would get stuck in
cutting and fading and eq'ing really badly and all out of time needless to say.
I basically said to him after asking politely about a million times:
" do that again and I'll smash you're f*cking face in !!"
and he smiled at me like:
" hahaha, look at the funny man, mummy, he looks angry."
you can't really hit someone after that can you?
I just showed him the door of the booth
and it turned out that was exactly what he had been looking for anyway.
goodbye muppet !
and off he went on his merry way,
face intact ( lucky boy )

davethedrummer
06-01-2010, 08:24 PM

This is your god.

I am AMAZING !!!!!!!!!

DarkYoung
06-01-2010, 08:44 PM

goodbye muppet !

yeah i deserved it, i was kind of watching you mixing and then i couldn't actually move because i was so pretty twatted. i think you had a cold actually it was roundabouts april 2004 maybe, at headcharge, you were full of cold you could tell.

DannyBlack
06-01-2010, 08:46 PM

goodbye muppet !

I had someone ask me if I had any Rhianna whilst belting out schranz in a little pub in Tramore.

If it had been a fella Id have chewed his arms off.

Prole
08-01-2010, 12:38 PM

I had someone ask me if I had any Rhianna whilst belting out schranz in a little pub in Tramore.

If it had been a fella Id have chewed his arms off.

I remember playing a little bar in some mining town in the arse end of CZ, banging out the hardest of techno toons. It was an odd gig, competing with an enormo-screen right above
my head showing CZ playing in the world ice hockey finals. Kinda disconcerting when every time hands went in the air and whoops were hollered I had to check over my shoulder to see if they had scored a puckin goal, or were diggin the latest tune I had just dropped.

Final straw was two outrageously pissed chavettes insisting that I put their Michael Jackson CD on, my turntables. **** OFF!!!!

qUE
08-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I remember playing a little bar in some mining town in the arse end of CZ, banging out the hardest of techno toons. It was an odd gig, competing with an enormo-screen right above
my head showing CZ playing in the world ice hockey finals. Kinda disconcerting when every time hands went in the air and whoops were hollered I had to check over my shoulder to see if they had scored a puckin goal, or were diggin the latest tune I had just dropped.

Final straw was two outrageously pissed chavettes insisting that I put their Michael Jackson CD on, my turntables. **** OFF!!!!

Michael Jackson + Bluntboy Wonder :)

djfilthmonger
08-01-2010, 01:38 PM
When i was playing in Clonmel there boxing day /stephens day . i was horsing out some old Glenn wilson and some cluster records and some guy asked me did I have any minimal. i was wearing one of does suf bored of minimal t-shirts aswell :lol:

@ Danny yeah that night in Tramore they were like 17/ 18 year olds that wandered downstairs from the night club upstairs. funny times

278d7e64a374de26f==