PDA

View Full Version : The Button Pressing Machine

Lag
25-12-2009, 03:02 PM
when i first started making music i didnt think about sound engineering at all. ofcourse i thought about effects as processors which, when abused properly, can transform the sound beyond recognition, but i didnt pay attention if this kick or that pad will sound good in a club or anything like that. as soon as i realised the significance of engineering (good eqing, compression, reverbs, good mixdown etc) i started enjoying making music a bit less, as engineering can get tedious. then after actually putting effort into the tunes i was making i also started to think about such shallow things as if the tune is playable in a set, is it likable, is it releasable etc.. now, these thoughts are obligatory for a modern producer, but as i miss just making music and not caring at all i decided to make a new alias and make "crap songs" under it.
"crap songs" means most of people will find them crap, but i love each one of them.
here are some tracks...

this one is an attempt at one of those techno styles i really miss. oversaturated as ****, simple and basic melody which actually had something to it - some kind of weirdness which actually makes it quite enjoyable for a certain kind of minds.
tbpm - The Button Pressing Machine - Balls Of A Swan - SoundCloud (http://soundcloud.com/tbpm/the-button-pressing-machine-balls-of-a-swan)

this is the first track i made under this alias. it was supposed to be an attempt at oldschool oversaturated electro (like I-F used to do) but kinda went elsewhere. anyway - people used to have patience. not every set had to be all hits and all bam bam. the thing i miss a lot about both oldschool sets and songs is that they used to have intentionally boring parts so when the fun stuff comes in its much more driving. this one has the boring main synth which brings out the awesomeness in the high one when it kicks in (atleast thats how i percieve it)
tbpm - The Button Pressing Machine - Penis Of A Snake - SoundCloud (http://soundcloud.com/tbpm/the-button-pressing-machine-penis-of-a-snake)

again, one of the techno styles i miss. todays techno mostly has "serious" melodies (or no melodies at all, cause were all too cool to listen to something enjoyable by commoners, right?). i just miss cheesy 3 note melodies with predictable filter changes, and the relaxing obviousness of arpeggio synths
tbpm - The Button Pressing Machine - Egg Of A Dragon - SoundCloud (http://soundcloud.com/tbpm/the-button-pressing-machine-egg-of-a-dragon)

what the **** happened to breakbeat? 3 years ago every city used to have atleast 2-3 semi-famous (atleast on local level) breakbeat djs. the rythms were simple yet dancable, they had cheesy melodies and of course - the movie quotes. then came the nubreakz and other "advanced" forms of breaks made by "streatz-are-rough" adolescents and i guess everybody stopped giving a shit. i miss oldschool breaks.
please excuse my lousy rythm works, i have never made breakbeat before.
tbpm - The Button Pressing Machine - Teat Of A Linx - SoundCloud (http://soundcloud.com/tbpm/the-button-pressing-machine-teat-of-a-linx)

when i started listening to non-mtv electronic music savage loopy techno was pretty much in. back then u couldnt really buy a mp3 recorder which works well for 30e so most recordings of sets were very ****ing bad. they were distorted so much that u could only hear the melody when the kick and bass go out. i used to be on 56k dial-up back then, so when i finish downloading a set from my favorite superstar dj (which usually took whole night - i used to wake up at 6 am to disconnect so my parents dont figure out ive been wasting telephone impulses) and realise the recording is crap - i wouldnt delete it. id actually listen to it! this led to developing an affection for a certain kind of aestetics in music and im not the only one! undoubtedly this is one of the reasons schranz came to life! anyway, i miss those crappy recordings of savage techno. today im spoiled like everybody else so id probably delete the set if i heard it distort, but i wanted to remind myself of that sound through a song so here it is...
tbpm - The Button Pressing Machine - Ass Of A Rhino - SoundCloud (http://soundcloud.com/tbpm/the-button-pressing-machine-ass-of-a-rhino)

dont take these seriously. its a joke project and each of the tracks is done under 2h except for the teat of a linx which took a bit more cause ive never done breakbeat before. the names are semi-funny when translated to serbian - they are either phrases, or they ryme in a stupid way or they are just nice images.

judas_beast
27-12-2009, 08:46 PM
listening to Ass Of A Rhino - it's rough as hell but I quite like it. It deffo reminds me of dodgy mixes grabbed of Napster back in the day!

Lag
27-12-2009, 11:49 PM
you want the wav? :D

ritaheed
31-12-2009, 12:53 PM
yeah ass of the rhino is quality :)

SlavikSvensk
31-12-2009, 07:20 PM
i prefer balls of the swan lol.

seriously, it's about time techno had a serious lo-fi movement. not trying to knock good production, but a lot of techno producers seem to care more about the sound architecture than whether or not they're creating a lasting piece of music.

the lo-fi rock you heard in the 90s (e.g. guided by voices, pavement) really kicked the glossy shit in the nuts. didn't kill the search for production values, but added some much-needed spice...

acidsaturation
14-01-2010, 12:36 PM
A man after my own heart.

I'm always thinking this, particularly with my love of hardware. Half the time I think it has sooo much more energy straight out the box, than when I record and piss about with it all. Obviously I'm not a genius at production, but I grew up with my techno a bit rough round the edges...

Lag
03-01-2011, 05:06 PM
after a long time of not making music i just finished two more joke project tracks
im actually pretty fond of this project as i approach every track with a concept in mind.

this one i made a week ago. finished it in 2-3 hours, and i was basically trying to recreate the old proggy feel. i really used to love proggy as it flawlessly combined house, techno and trance to create a groovy, out-of-this-worldish feel packed with energy drive. sadly, i have no experience making either house or trance so i guess techno got the biggest part in this one.

tbpm - The Button Pressing Machine - Grey Mans Sweat on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free (http://soundcloud.com/tbpm/the-button-pressing-machine-grey-mans-sweat)

this one took me more time. started making it on NYE (with some assistance from my gf hehe) and finished it just now. i still dont like some things about it but enough is enough.
anyway, i wanted to make some groovy savage techno. i kinda miss this kind of club music. yes, reekos savage releases bring tears of joy to my face, but his production is flawless (not a bad thing!!) and i miss the slopiness of older techno, like the older mega-awesome max duley releases (for example onslaught II).

tbpm - The Button Pressing Machine - Carpe Penem on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free (http://soundcloud.com/tbpm/the-button-pressing-machine-carpe-penem)

hope u enjoy. if anybody wants an mp3 feel free to pm me, but these are likely to change a bit in a week or two (my poor ears are tired now).

hny boys

Elvio Neto
06-01-2011, 05:44 AM
"The Button Pressing Machine - Carpe Penem" sounds good

its your best track for sure , good work ;)

Lag
07-01-2011, 12:16 AM
thanks for the comment man and thanks for listening
btw, my more serious tracks can be hear here
soundcloud.com/lag

278d7e64a374de26f==