PDA

View Full Version : Do you think good solid techno is dead

Soitiz Info
29-12-2009, 10:51 AM
In the UK as far as events are concerned , all that seems to be around in the uk is MINIMAL , yes there still is your ACID , but a lot of the nights now who were Techno & still put techno on there flyers , have MINIMAL djs headlining there events , like ATOMIC JAM .
There dont seem to be nights or events on that just have techno , im talking bout likes of RUSH , BONE , ANDREAS KREMER , A PAUL , COUNTERPART , BORIS S , ARRON THE PIMP , OSCAR CROMA , JEROME BAKER just to name a few
i spend a lot of time on the net looking for events . nights for my own website , but over the last few months it seems to be less n less , i know there is a credit crunch on , is it effecting the techno scene as well :yup:

DannyBlack
29-12-2009, 11:42 AM
It's just really hard to get people out unless it is a free in gig and even then it's still tough.

Every little thing adds up- posters, the venue, insurence, bouncers then the talent. too much of a risk to get it going these days. That's why I'm not bothering for a while.

Soitiz Info
29-12-2009, 12:35 PM
It's just really hard to get people out unless it is a free in gig and even then it's still tough.

Every little thing adds up- posters, the venue, insurence, bouncers then the talent. too much of a risk to get it going these days. That's why I'm not bothering for a while.

yeah good points ...
if they can bring in the big djs playing minimal , why not bring in the techno heads , that is my issue :angry:

fils_here
29-12-2009, 01:35 PM
there's a few nights in rhyl & bangor still having it, haven't really had any massive name's on, up n coming on the scene etc...
but i think the ole credit crunch has hit a few of us hard like :-(

djfilthmonger
29-12-2009, 01:48 PM
In Waterford Ireland thers been a grand flow of decent techno djs this year, technasia, ben sims, billy nasty , dave the drummer , juan aktins, derrick may to name a few

Winds
29-12-2009, 01:49 PM
yeah good points ...
if they can bring in the big djs playing minimal , why not bring in the techno heads , that is my issue :angry:

I dont think theres a big enough following for the tougher techno nowadays to pay for massive line ups.

DannyBlack
29-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I think a restart is where we have come to now. Local talent and unknown names seem to get the biggest crowds these days. Big names are out of reach for the promoter for now.

fils_here
29-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I think a restart is where we have come to now. Local talent and unknown names seem to get the biggest crowds these days. Big names are out of reach for the promoter for now.

you could be right, it's a lot of money getting a big name from abroad, flights etc...

DannyBlack
29-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Defo. Sometimes it's mearly a case of the DJ that you want not being particularly well known- decent price for the job he/she is doing but it is still a financial risk because the people don't identify with the name.

The_Laughing_Man
29-12-2009, 05:45 PM
It`s dead in UK mostly.
As in proper techno anyway.
There`s some nights still doing it proper, like Detached in Leeds, and there`s better clubs abroad, but 2009 has been the year that techno finally lots it`s balls AND spine. The last few techno artists I respected, who I thought had integrity, finally folded to make trendy plodding house shite (or mnml techno if you want to call it that). Comfortable, middle class, middle aged music, for comfortable, middle class, middle aged people.

I wouldn`t mind mnml so much if it wasn`t so safe. about 1% of minimal producers are doing something different or ballsy, the rest are just using the same sounds, same tones, same shuffles and blending in with the hope of popularity.
It`s worse than phucking X-Factor. At least those cunts sell out for a potential big money score and a good 15 mins of fame.
These mnml sell outs are selling their souls for about 1 second of vague recognition and some pocket money.

Detestable.

End of year rant over.

Happy New Revolution.

rhythmtech
29-12-2009, 05:55 PM
It`s dead in UK mostly.
As in proper techno anyway.
There`s some nights still doing it proper, like Detached in Leeds, and there`s better clubs abroad, but 2009 has been the year that techno finally lots it`s balls AND spine. The last few techno artists I respected, who I thought had integrity, finally folded to make trendy plodding house shite (or mnml techno if you want to call it that). Comfortable, middle class, middle aged music, for comfortable, middle class, middle aged people.

I wouldn`t mind mnml so much if it wasn`t so safe. about 1% of minimal producers are doing something different or ballsy, the rest are just using the same sounds, same tones, same shuffles and blending in with the hope of popularity.
It`s worse than phucking X-Factor. At least those cunts sell out for a potential big money score and a good 15 mins of fame.
These mnml sell outs are selling their souls for about 1 second of vague recognition and some pocket money.

Detestable.

End of year rant over.

Happy New Revolution.

:clap:

and thats probably being nice about it all.

Siege
29-12-2009, 06:09 PM
bravo!!

The Overfiend
29-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I dont think theres a big enough following for the tougher techno nowadays to pay for massive line ups.

Steve has good points, I also believe this hits the nail on the head as well.

ds2
29-12-2009, 09:13 PM
try this..

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/forum/events/68324-leeds-detatched-valentines-party-13-02-2009-a.html

CTRLS
30-12-2009, 12:04 AM
i was kinda hoping that ping pong minimal wave would've come and gone by now but they seem to have things on pretty serious lockdown. but it must also be hard for outsiders to get into the harder stuff now that everything is so segregated. instead of only having audio assault style destruction on one night, minus nights the next and purist detroit snobbery on another, it'd be nice to see somebody mixing it up and creating some progression throughout the night via different styles.

because on the other hand i definitely wouldnt want things to go back to the early 2000 washed out 140bpm sound either. there were sooo many generic and cheesy dancefloor tracks released at that time. i'm still sick of the disco samples, 909 beats and tribal loops combo.

but there's hope! robert hood and slater are back on form and it was a big year for the ostgut ton/berghain sound. that's a definite step in the right direction as far as i'm concerned.

Mindful
30-12-2009, 12:42 AM
Detatched Detatched Detatched Detatched Detatched Detatched Detatched

DannyBlack
30-12-2009, 01:20 AM
I went to Detatched and all I got were these dodgy retinas.

qUE
30-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Soo glad I saw Robert Armani when he was in the UK. That was the last thing I heard here :(

Personally I haven't played Chicago style Techno in quite a while. Been mainly doing my live stuff and that's very leaning towards experimental. It's still banging but more complex.

That's not to say I don't like simple solid beats anymore, I'm still very fond of that sort of music. If I had the money and he'd be up for it, I'd book Robert Armani to play in the UK again in a second :)

The_Laughing_Man
30-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Detatched Detatched Detatched Detatched Detatched Detatched Detatched

Although detatched is a shining gemstone in a sea of rotting faeces, one club can not save a scene.

The_Laughing_Man
30-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Steve has good points, I also believe this hits the nail on the head as well.

Who needs massive line ups, what you need are GOOD line ups, playing good music.

Variety and diversity is paramount, not cult of personality.

djfilthmonger
30-12-2009, 02:06 PM

I think Waterford / ireland are doing alright at the moment with the hard stuff. i played in Clonmel there on Stephan's day (boxing day) fairly hard techno not bloody schranz. but good auld glenn wilson / cari lekebusch stuff and the crowd are well into and the others that played kept it hard and in your face also.

Tbh i havent heard many minimal nites in waterford at the min, but between myself and few of the other lads we have kept above the broad techno wise.
in fact im heading to see sum techno tonight and the lads will bang it out.
you dont need big names just good djs.
Like in the uk do ye go to local djs or just for the names. becoz its very mixed here at the moment.

Jay Pace
30-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't think its dead, its just not as popular as it once was in the UK, and the people who are good at it are probably better off getting booked to play in europe for 3 times the fee.

Mindful
30-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Who needs massive line ups, what you need are GOOD line ups, playing good music.

Variety and diversity is paramount, not cult of personality.

Word to that. 'massive line ups' and 'huge' headline acts are part of the reason the scene became so stale I think.

To mention Detatched again... I think this is the secret (one of them) to why its a successful night. Paul has never been afraid to book 'unknown' names because he knows that they are quality acts and the music has always come first. The people who go know that no matter whos on that the music will be top drawer, presented well and ahead of the game.
Not to mention the quality of the residents who are all happy to take a back seat to the headline acts and music being played... providing a real solid foundation to the night.

Too many nights have residents that think they are the stars of the show and pound it out scared to lose the floor (not giving a shit about who follows or how the night progresses as a whole before or after they play)... and too many nights are scared to book anyone but the same big names Ive seen on flyers for the past decade *yawn*

But who's to blame? The promoters, The residents, The punters even (confused in equal amounts when the music is challenging as they are as to why they are unfulfilled by the 6 or 7 hours of pounders they expect where the highlight of the night is some headliner who they have seen a thousand times before)
Certainly isn't the headline acts to blame.... They are booked to play and mainly do their jobs as expected.

I expect some kind of backlash from the underground after a year of watered down rubbish, 'personalitys' and popularity contest. Not that any of that shit matters... the underground keeps moving along at its own pace regardless of what the rest of the world is doing.

Bring on 2010 and all that shite.

Audible frequency
30-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Theres still a few Good purist style Nights Booking quality acts in the north i.e Detatched in Leeds who always put on a good show!Colour@sankys,Locked Manchester,Atomic jam Birmingham (im sure youve heard of most of these?)And our event Defunkt will also still be flying the flag in 2010 for the darker harder styles in said Genre too with some Good headliners and talented Residents!

I think as long as the music is being produced(as it is on quite a large scale still!) there'll always Be a need for a few solid techno events in the uk,granted there aint many and some are few and far between but the ones that are still going are good!

Soitiz Info
30-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Theres still a few Good purist style Nights Booking quality acts in the north i.e Detatched in Leeds who always put on a good show!Colour@sankys,Locked Manchester,Atomic jam Birmingham (im sure youve heard of most of these?)And our event Defunkt will also still be flying the flag in 2010 for the darker harder styles in said Genre too with some Good headliners and talented Residents!

I think as long as the music is being produced(as it is on quite a large scale still!) there'll always Be a need for a few solid techno events in the uk,granted there aint many and some are few and far between but the ones that are still going are good!

A/jam is ok , but the last event was crap , nothing banging going on there , think they live on there name , fair play it is a good name

Some well good points brought up in this topic , , cash been one of the main things ,
As said you dont have to be a big name tp be able to play stomping techno , , with minimal churning out relentless tracks , events , its what seems to be out there for the punters :{

its like the word techno on its own has become a wrong word for promoters to use , :confused:

Audible frequency
30-12-2009, 10:02 PM
A/jam is ok , but the last event was crap , nothing banging going on there , think they live on there name , fair play it is a good name

Some well good points brought up in this topic , , cash been one of the main things ,
As said you dont have to be a big name tp be able to play stomping techno , , with minimal churning out relentless tracks , events , its what seems to be out there for the punters :{

its like the word techno on its own has become a wrong word for promoters to use , :confused:

Thats because most people use it these days to generalise the dance music style their in to!As im sure we all know The first recorded use of the word techno in reference to a genre of music, was in the late 80's.Many styles of techno now exist,Thats why folk use it for many genres of dance music(A friend of mine plays tech house and calls it techno)!

Detroit,Acid and euro style techno especially in the mid 90's was referred to or thought of when the"Techno"word was mentioned in the uk but underground dance music has changed and evolved alot in the last few years as it always has before as you and everyone else on here well know!Techno is seen as the foundation upon which a number of subgenres have been built,these days and maybe in the future who knows??

SlavikSvensk
31-12-2009, 03:35 PM
i don't know about uk events, but when it comes to records i think 2009 was a pretty good year for techno. yes, most falls under the category "minimal that's not actually minimalistic," but that makes it "good, honest techno" in my book.

albums by ben klock, locke, monolake, planetary assault systems; eps by dvs1, tony lionni, jona, function, atlante group, etc.

sn0rkmaiden
01-01-2010, 09:37 AM
I personally believe that the techno scene is redeemable if nights like Atomic Jam stop booking trance crackers like Chris Liebing :D

There is so much good techno in the UK at moment that allows bookings with a reasonable budget. I am involved in a techno night in Birmingham and I am always pushing for something a bit harder and intelligent, however I feel a lot of my peers are falling into the trap of this leisurely paced sterile sounding techno. It's a real shame!

Also I don't know about everyone else but I am so bloody sick of Planetary Assault Systems and James Ruskin, why are people still playing the same tracks after 6 months of circulation?! There's no excuse with all the brilliant techno about at the moment!

CTRLS
01-01-2010, 04:15 PM
i don't know about uk events, but when it comes to records i think 2009 was a pretty good year for techno. yes, most falls under the category "minimal that's not actually minimalistic," but that makes it "good, honest techno" in my book.

albums by ben klock, locke, monolake, planetary assault systems; eps by dvs1, tony lionni, jona, function, atlante group, etc.

agree! there's hope and i think things are moving in the right direction.

Soitiz Info
03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
I personally believe that the techno scene is redeemable if nights like Atomic Jam stop booking trance crackers like Chris Liebing :D

There is so much good techno in the UK at moment that allows bookings with a reasonable budget. I am involved in a techno night in Birmingham and I am always pushing for something a bit harder and intelligent, however I feel a lot of my peers are falling into the trap of this leisurely paced sterile sounding techno. It's a real shame!

Also I don't know about everyone else but I am so bloody sick of Planetary Assault Systems and James Ruskin, why are people still playing the same tracks after 6 months of circulation?! There's no excuse with all the brilliant techno about at the moment!

yeah that is so true , i run a massive techno database {www.soitiz.info} . most of all the hard stomping techno i get sent is from abroad various countries , not a big pile from the uk , tons of Minimal

DarkYoung
03-01-2010, 06:22 PM
yeah that is so true , i run a massive techno database {www.soitiz.info}.
yawn

force
03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
yawn

Behave DY.

We're only 3 days into 2010 ffs!

DarkYoung
03-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Behave DY.

We're only 3 days into 2010 ffs!

is that all you have to say to me?

force
03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
is that all you have to say to me?

Sorry,
happy new year

DarkYoung
03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Sorry,
happy new year
happy new year dude!!!

the only person on here who is actually illuminated. (u)

slimboy
04-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Re. Brum... Atomic Jam still has alot to offer and House of God has a stonking line up on Feb 5th.

NGC-5128
04-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi!
Should agree with this one, there are only couple of gigs in London worth visiting quality techno wise. Like Lost, Tilted Disco and couple else. It`s also about a venue and vibe, because I`ve been to event last year in Fabric 4 example, where lineup and music was really quality, but the crowd does not give a shit about music, just getting drunk+drug+ sex in toilet :) . So it`s not art, even not art of partying. Just partying and selling tickets.
Also there is not _so_ many real quality techno releases lately imo, which actually results in less parties.

The Overfiend
04-01-2010, 06:24 PM
DarkYoung officially has the best avatar.

DarkYoung
04-01-2010, 06:32 PM
DarkYoung officially has the best avatar.
you knows it dred

278d7e64a374de26f==