PDA

View Full Version : Out with the old, in with the new?

SlavikSvensk
01-01-2010, 07:28 PM
i think these things happened to techno over the past 10 years:

the good:
*it became much easier to afford the gear to make decently-produced techno, which meant the number of artists expanded greatly.
*the emergence of software like ableton greatly expanded what people could do, creatively and production-wise
*creative sub-genres (like minimal) and techno-friendly ones (like dubstep) emerged, and infused some life into techno as a whole
*digital labels emerged as a viable alternative

the bad:
*techno, generally, grew less popular
*a lot of established producers/djs achieved "superstar" status and milked it in annoying ways
*massive numbers of bricks-and-mortar record stores, labels and distributors have died, dealing a massive body blow to techno's economic model
*arguably, the glut of new producers has not resulted in a corresponding surge in creativity, but rather a larger mass of cookie-cutter music.

so what's going to happen to techno over the next ten years?

SlavikSvensk
03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
so where are we headed? end of techno? rebirth of techno? slow decline? renaissance?

The_Laughing_Man
04-01-2010, 02:31 AM
I think the spirit of techno lives on it`s it`s offspring.
New sounds and genres have developed from techno, due to experimentation, and these new sounds, although still techno in essence, differ too much from the norms most techno heads recognise as techno so new names are given to these new musics.

It would be nice if the brackets of techno opened up a little this year, and more people started playing with more diverse sounds, as a music very much obsessed with the cutting edge, some forward movement is always a prime necessity.

Personally I want to continue to explore and move and see what else can be done to dance music whilst applying a techno ethic. Try to find some ground that sits between the cracks.

The Overfiend
04-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I think you'll find our notables attacking with a vengeance.
The market will get flooded this year with producers who are frustrated with what's hittin' right now. We want our dance floors back!
Not to sit around shooitng thumbs ups to our pals after a 5 minute water torture fizzy sweep breakdown.
Even "Hip-Hop" commercial music sounds like 1991 Tyree Cooper now.

DarkYoung
04-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I think you'll find our notables attacking with a vengeance.
The market will get flooded this year with producers who are frustrated with what's hittin' right now. We want our dance floors back!
Not to sit around shooitng thumbs ups to our pals after a 5 minute water torture fizzy sweep breakdown.
Even "Hip-Hop" commercial music sounds like 1991 Tyree Cooper now.

hey i loved Tyree Cooper that was my era.

old skool hip hop. chicago house. going into acid house. alas.

my fav tune, Mr Lee - Get Busy ( the time i discovered i looked a prat dancing, and my black friends could dance like John Travolta :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLZqJfjQ6U

SlavikSvensk
05-01-2010, 04:09 PM
my prediction: recombination.

this is what happened with indie rock over the past decade, and i think it will happen with techno. new combinations of older sounds and ideas. "inventive nostalgia," for lack of a better term. for better or for worse, that's what i see happening. or rather, for better and for worse.

The Overfiend
05-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Kinda like when the Strokes came out with the garage approach.
Slavik, I hope your right, I can go for a lil Chi-Town bang, with newer production methods :)

SlavikSvensk
05-01-2010, 10:12 PM
yeah exactly. it's already started. you hear the new traxx album? or james t. cotton's recent "jakbeat" stuff? basically trax and dj international stuff updated and with a touch of irony.

but i think we'll also see new combinations. like berghain + detroit. actually there's already some stuff like that (motor city drum ensemble, etc.). but i think it will get more developed.

basslinejunkie
06-01-2010, 11:36 AM
i think the most detremental thing at the moment is the price of vinyl. even over at ds2 the cost of your above average tune nowadays is like £7.50 which is alot of money in this day and age.

i love buying vinyl but cant due to the cost. so im seriously considering moving over to digital / mp3's, whcih doesnt harm the scene as such as im still buying tunes and supporting the scene, however it harms the scene as the record shops have done more than most in the past.

DarkYoung
06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
i think the most detremental thing at the moment is the price of vinyl. even over at ds2 the cost of your above average tune nowadays is like £7.50 which is alot of money in this day and age.

i love buying vinyl but cant due to the cost. so im seriously considering moving over to digital / mp3's, whcih doesnt harm the scene as such as im still buying tunes and supporting the scene, however it harms the scene as the record shops have done more than most in the past.
i agree vinyl and postage costs make it v expensive.

i can't afford the new tunes i want

basslinejunkie
06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
exactly,which has a knock on affect, as the vinyl stockists / sellers have been at the core of the scene for years and imo are one of the most important parts, as few are more passionate about techno.

DarkYoung
06-01-2010, 12:23 PM
exactly,which has a knock on affect, as the vinyl stockists / sellers have been at the core of the scene for years and imo are one of the most important parts, as few are more passionate about techno.

well u have to buy everything online now, i know nowhere in s yorkshire selling new techno vinyl in shops. i wish i had ythe money for some top of range pioneer cd decks tbh, i would just rip of all the tunes off soulseek and that wud be that.

SlavikSvensk
06-01-2010, 03:33 PM
you don't need cd decks.

could go this route:

YouTube - TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO. What's in the box (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYhjYAZcuN0&feature=fvw)

$500 in the us, probably about 400 quid in the UK?

278d7e64a374de26f==