PDA

View Full Version : Plugin reviews - Softube

rhythmtech
06-01-2010, 07:26 PM
right guys, first plugin reviews up. i'll keep this sticky until we get a dedicated sub forum.

first up, Softube!

FET compressor
Vendor: Softube
Copy protection: iLok
Platform: Windows: PC & Mac OSX
Plug-in formats: RTAS, TDM, Vst and Audio Units.
Licences available: There is only one commercial license available. There is also a fully functional 20 day demo available, although an ilok is needed to utilise the demo
Availability: The software can be bought from many worldwide dealers as well as Softube’s own web store.

Softube’s FET compressor is loosely based on the Urei 1176 hardware unit.
Features:

Modeled analog compressor, input and output stages.
Modeled "All buttons in" mode
Continuous ratio (even between 20:1 and ALL.)
Fast attack time.
Input and output stage distortion.
Parallel compression.
Detector low and high cut filters
External side chain
Lookahead
Stereo with synchronized gain reduction
Very CPU friendly

The softube FET compressor for me was one of the greatest leaps in analog modeling software of the last year. The compressor is a stunningly accurate recreation of the original Urei compressor but with added digital features that bring it right up to date.
The most important aspect of this compressor is the input and output modeling stages. Up to now most analog emulated software compressors have relied on the attack/release curve to try to bring their sound close to their hardware counterparts. The FET on the other hand models the actual distortion stages of the original unit.
This compressor has become my goto for snares, vocals and drum buss compression but is at ease handling many different sources.
The GUI is stunning to look at, and while not an important factor in the sound is clearly a major selling point in these times when retro design is what the market is after.
I can honestly say that I can find no downside to this compressor (except maybe that its not an actual hardware unit!)

http://rekkerd.org/img/articles/softube_FETCompressor.jpg

rhythmtech
06-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Tube-Tech CL1B compressor
Licences available: There is only one commercial license available. There is also a fully functional 20 day demo available, although an ilok is needed to utilise the demo
Availability: The software can be bought from many worldwide dealers as well as Softube’s own web store.

Features:

Classic Tube-Tech sound in your computer
Created together with the designers at Lydkraft/Tube-Tech
Each and every component carefully modeled
Fix./man. mode for breaking traditional compression boundaries
External sidechain control
A seriously great looking GUI!
Very CPU friendly

The softube Tube-tech CL1B compressor continues softubes vintage modelling series with stunning precision. The original CL1B is, in my opinion, one of the greatest yet under rated compressors of our time and this softube emulation really brings the sound to our DAWs.
As with the FET, both input and output stages are faithfully recreated in the plugin as well as the varying attack/release controls.
In use I have found this compressor to be stunning on vocals and bass using the fixed attack/release and flipping over to the manual attack/release opens things up for source material with more defined transients.
One downside to this compressor is the tone it imparts on source material. While the emulated tube sound can be stunning when used in the right places, it can also give everything a slightly vintage feel which isn’t always wanted when working on modern material.

http://rekkerd.org/img/200910/softube_TubeTech-CL1B.jpg

rhythmtech
06-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Passive/Active Eq
Licences available: this product is three separate software EQs but only available as one bundle. There is only one commercial license available. There is also a fully functional 20 day demo available, although an ilok is needed to utilise the demo
The Passive-Active Pack is a collection of three very different equalizers, each with its own character and quirks. The equalizers contain emulations of real workhorse equalizers, used on thousands of recordings from past to present.

Features:

Authentic component modeling
Fully automatable parameters
Output gain and output metering
3-D rendered photo-realistic user interface

Features Passive Equalizer

Three bands with an extremely wide and open sound
Excellent treble control without any "digital harshness"
Warm low end and a sparkling top

(http://www.softube.se/passive_active_pack.php?p=pap_introduction2)

Features Active Equalizer

Tight and focused sounding filters
Low- and High cut
Three parametric bands with:

Selectable gain in 2dB steps (-/+ 16 dB)
Selectable frequency with overlapping, but non-interfering, bands
(50-500 Hz, 380Hz-3.8kHz, 1.8-18kHz)
Select between a sharp or blunt peak (Q) for each band

(http://www.softube.se/passive_active_pack.php?p=pap_introduction3)

Features Focusing Equalizer

Built-in one knob saturation with metering
Selectable saturation type
Choose between Passive or Active EQ character
Three-band EQ that automatically and musically changes with Low and High Cut

(http://www.softube.se/passive_active_pack.php?p=pap_introduction4)

Since purchasing the passive/active EQ pack they have quickly become my goto EQ for adding frequencies to material. They all contain very musical sweeps and the saturation modeling on the focusing EQ sounds beautiful.
Downside with this eq pack is that its pretty much useless for corrective eqing where tight frequency bands are needed.

http://www.sonicftp.com/news/images/softube_passiveactivepack.jpg

DannyBlack
06-01-2010, 07:32 PM
They look tidy, Baz. Whats the price damage on them Baz?

Jay Pace
06-01-2010, 07:35 PM
excellent stuff barry

On the EQ.... I'm a bit of a pleb, and tend to just use waves REQ. But truth be told I wouldn't have a clue what the other one's offered, beyond a zippy GUI

Do they really make that much difference? How do you "hear" the difference - what quality are they adding?

I've tried to limit plugins, for fear of "death by plugins" syndrome (vast collection of tools, no idea about how to use any of them, let alone why and when)

Cheers dud

rhythmtech
06-01-2010, 07:40 PM
They look tidy, Baz. Whats the price damage on them Baz?

$279 for FET

$449 for CL1B

$199 for passive/active

try tony belmont at Plugin Discounts - The Best Prices on All of Your Plugin Related Needs (http://plugindiscounts.com/) for best prices

rhythmtech
06-01-2010, 07:42 PM
excellent stuff barry

On the EQ.... I'm a bit of a pleb, and tend to just use waves REQ. But truth be told I wouldn't have a clue what the other one's offered, beyond a zippy GUI

Do they really make that much difference? How do you "hear" the difference - what quality are they adding?

I've tried to limit plugins, for fear of "death by plugins" syndrome (vast collection of tools, no idea about how to use any of them, let alone why and when)

Cheers dud

jay, theres not going to be a huge differance between waves and this eq. especially not in the passive or active versions as it just really down to the eq curves employed. obviously there is some sonic differances due to the hardware modelling aspect.

the real differance you'd hear is with the focusing eq. this is a way of eqing i'd not used before and mixed with the saturation it can really fatten up the weakest of sounds.

rhythmtech
06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
heres a track ive recently mixed with softube stuff (ok its not techno but its all ive mixed with this lot so far)

Download doubt master v2.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way (http://www.sendspace.com/file/c5bgbi)

snare, toms and drum bus use FET (listen to the attack on the snare and toms!!)

overheads and room mics use CL1B (stunning on overheads!)

bass uses CL1B

guitars use FET

synths got a mix of both - CL1B for the slower pad stuff and FET for the spikey arpeggiated ones.

vox use a mix of FET and CL1B - lead uses CL1B to limit the peaks followed by FET for shaping, bk vox use Cl1b to smooth them out and set them away from the lead.

passive/active eq used on all tracks for shaping with a surgical eq after.

master uses CL1B

i personally think the CL1B is the most open and analog sounding software compressor ive used to date. simply gorgeous!

278d7e64a374de26f==