PDA

View Full Version : Running a night/event

tonyc2002
07-01-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm sure theres many of you out there that have dabbled in this game!

General tips, do's/don'ts, what to look for in a venue, sound systems, promotion techniques etc etc etc

:biggrin:

BloodStar
07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
1.dont do it
2.read point 1

tonyc2002
07-01-2010, 04:31 PM
1.dont do it
2.read point 1

:lol:

That was unexpected ;p

BloodStar
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
tried to save you ca$h on better stuiff than winding them on the night which can end up in big dissapointment,. i know from my experience ;-]

but yeah if you like to live under heavy stress, then book some big name and go for it :]

tonyc2002
07-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Its something I've had an interest in for ages but not a great deal of experience. Plus I haven't yet found the courage to put my money where my mouth is and give it a go.

Jay Pace
07-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Hmmmmm.

Choose your club carefully. Pick a small one and build up from it. Make sure you get on well with the owners, it really matters over time.

Make sure you have a big crew. If its you on your lonesome, its near impossible. Having mates sort stuff out, and them having mates to bring along gives you a stable base of people you can build from.

Put money into it. If its worth spending time and energy, its worth spending money. Too many nights fail because people are willing to donate kidneys for the cause, but are afraid of spending a few hundred quid.

Tread the fine line between what you are interested in, and what everyone else is interested in. Too many promoters put on a "birthday party" and just choose all their personal favourites. Know your audience, and what you can get away with.

Be patient. Can take years to build up a good reputation.

Blag everything not nailed down. Don't pay for anything that can be borrowed. Sound System, flyering, printing etc

Get good residents. A headliner might bring in a crowd, but a resident sets the tone of the night. Shit amateurish residents make a night look rubbish. No amount of headlining acts will save you. The residents need to warm up the night, not grab their moment of glory. Its more about playing for the crowd than battering them to death with peak time aspirations.

Be prepared to lose money. Do it for the love, or not at all :)

tonyc2002
07-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks Jay, thats some really good advice.

Have you done much promoting over the years?

Jay Pace
07-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Yeah, fair bit over the last 10 years. Black Box is in its 5th year down in Brighton and still going strong. Before that it was free parties, and before that nights at uni.

It can be stressful, but it can be great fun as well, and it can really open a lot of doors for you.

tonyc2002
13-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah, fair bit over the last 10 years. Black Box is in its 5th year down in Brighton and still going strong. Before that it was free parties, and before that nights at uni.

It can be stressful, but it can be great fun as well, and it can really open a lot of doors for you.

Sounds awesome mate, fairplay to you. I'm definately gonna have to have a go at it sometime soon I think although the hardest part around here is finding a suitable venue.

DannyBlack
17-01-2010, 01:14 AM
unless theres a couple of you, dont do it.

TechMouse
17-01-2010, 02:37 AM
Be prepared to lose money. Do it for the love, or not at all :)
^^ This.

Past that, just do your best to put on the kind of night you would want to go to.

278d7e64a374de26f==