PDA

View Full Version : PLus 8 - The Remixes

SlavikSvensk
09-01-2010, 05:24 PM
just listened to this, and got to say, i'm incredibly disappointed. i loved the idea...new artists re-examining plus 8 's classic back catalog. but few of the tracks, IMO, bring anything interesting to the table.

sure there are a few gems: marcel dettmann's remix of "technarcy" is great, while mark broom's version of "substance abuse" and the JPLS THX of "theychx" are fun. but most, IMO, is pretty boring, and does not succeed in adding new color to old favorites.

so...assuming you agree that something went wrong here, what was it? are these kinds of retrospectives problematic from the start? can they be done right?

Jake Conlon
09-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I was thinking the same, very obvious remixes. :(

cossinnelle
09-01-2010, 08:22 PM
not all canadian old classics remixes turned bad :

YouTube - Plastikman - Spastik (Dubfire Rework) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEV5HlsPn64)

(spastik, dubfire rework)

CTRLS
10-01-2010, 03:28 AM
I liked the ken ishii and dettmann rmxs a lot but am not really too familiar with the old plus 8 classics.

teknorich
10-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I agree with you Slav; I liked the idea when I saw it, but the results aren't great... I had high hopes for the "Kriket" remix, but it's not great. The mix of "Pull Over" is reasonable but it just sounds like a fairly run of the mill pumping minimal track. Overall nothing really stands out, which is a real pity as this could have been a great remix collection :hmmm:

basslinejunkie
10-01-2010, 12:42 PM
if its not broke,dont fix it.

basslinejunkie
10-01-2010, 01:00 PM
mark brooms remix is excellent,as youd expect really, all the others ive heard stink of averageness.

i think they are trying to bring old classics ' up to date ' as in the plus 8 sound of today, which again is completely average imo.

like most remixes though of classic tracks,your always gona end up disappointed as 9/10 its not a patch on the original.

The_Laughing_Man
10-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Just a quick fix money maker with some "names" to justify it.
No quality control at all, just commissions from the right names, it almost seems like the content was irrelevant.
Hawtin is all about the business now.

SlavikSvensk
10-01-2010, 05:11 PM
that's what it seemed like to me too. very lazy IMO.

dettmann's "technarchy" was great, though.

DannyBlack
10-01-2010, 05:49 PM
if its not broke,dont fix it.

or in this case, if it's crap leave it alone and do your own thing.

drift9
10-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Hawtin is all about the business now.
sadly, i agree. the guy used to bust heads in this game and now seems to be just phoning it in. i guess i can't look down on him as he seems to be wildly successful at what he's doing. but the new plus 8/m-nus stuff does zero for me. i keep holding out hope that they'll turn it around sometime soon.

the originals of this remix compilation are exactly what got me into techno to begin with back in the 90s. a shame this turned out the way it did. it could have been epic.

teknorich
11-01-2010, 06:16 PM
In a similar vein, the new Drumcode release:

Adam Beyer - Remainings III Remixes on Drumcode :: Ibiza Voice News :: Hype, Lies & Gossip (http://www.ibiza-voice.com/story/news/2143)

"... it seems the past decade has only succeeded in making techno more polite and less daring."

Any thoughts?!

cossinnelle
11-01-2010, 06:28 PM
new drumcodes are very average in general anyway they all sound the same... as minus and plus 8... but they have success! understand?

SlavikSvensk
11-01-2010, 06:38 PM
new drumcodes are very average in general anyway they all sound the same... as minus and plus 8... but they have success! understand?

i like the last one, the jesper dahlback remix, but the rest is just...so...boring...

Jay Pace
11-01-2010, 06:42 PM
"... it seems the past decade has only succeeded in making techno more polite and less daring."

Any thoughts?!

Its a fair point.

More techno like this please....YouTube - Don't Take More-tresor 65 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeVlgq6td-I)

teknorich
11-01-2010, 07:02 PM
The original was so much better; it's not just that the new versions are slower, they have really lost the rough, dark vibe of the original. They just feel really watered down in comparison, but then again a lot of what is called Techno nowadays feels the same. These new mixes are certainly "more polite and less daring" than this:

YouTube - Adam Beyer - Remainings III Drumcode 20,5 - a1(rmx 1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEuvaDJmoLQ)

:yup:

SlavikSvensk
11-01-2010, 07:12 PM
while we're on the topic of energetic old classics, let me throw this into the mix

YouTube - Kosmic Messenger - The Deathmarch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z39o_gllEKw)

...but all that said, there is good techno being made today...just not generally by the superstars of yore.

this is a cracking track

YouTube - Holger Zilske - Olho Gordo (Original Mix) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtj7924DCGk)

The_Laughing_Man
11-01-2010, 07:20 PM
sadly, i agree. the guy used to bust heads in this game and now seems to be just phoning it in. i guess i can't look down on him as he seems to be wildly successful at what he's doing. but the new plus 8/m-nus stuff does zero for me. i keep holding out hope that they'll turn it around sometime soon.

the originals of this remix compilation are exactly what got me into techno to begin with back in the 90s. a shame this turned out the way it did. it could have been epic.

No different to someone like say, U2.
As they become more and more commercial and comfortable they become less relevant.

The_Laughing_Man
11-01-2010, 07:21 PM

Any thoughts?!

More middle aged essentially.

eppertheleper
11-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Funny you mention this. I got very excited yesterday when I saw this while shopping for music for the first time in a while. I immediately dropped it into my cart, stated listening to the tracks, and headed off to look for more freshness. I just assumed it would be something I'd enjoy, but as more and more of the minute-long samples played, I grew more blasee about it. Finally, I dumped it altogether.

Very disappointed. :no:

basslinejunkie
11-01-2010, 09:43 PM
or in this case, if it's crap leave it alone and do your own thing.

not quite sure what you mean tbh.

there are some old corkers on plus 8, so if you think it was all farts and squeaks in the past like it is today,you be very mistaken.

for instance the original substance abuse track is a 100 classic and still sounds just as gd today.

SlavikSvensk
11-01-2010, 10:47 PM
not quite sure what you mean tbh.

there are some old corkers on plus 8, so if you think it was all farts and squeaks in the past like it is today,you be very mistaken.

for instance the original substance abuse track is a 100 classic and still sounds just as gd today.

plus 8 is responsible for some of my favorite records of all time. "the wipe," "substance abuse," the first two plastikman albums, etc

278d7e64a374de26f==