PDA

View Full Version : software compresors make it impossible to cut?

miromiric.
03-02-2004, 11:57 PM
i got an advice from a respected member of techno community to never use software compressors over my tunes cause it will unecessarily make audio engineer`s job who ll cut it to vinyl harder.
it can sounds good in digital format, but when cut to vinyl it suffers badly.
now i presume this is true, since this advice was given to him by one of the leading cutting engineers in europe and i wanted to hear your experiences with this matter.

since i have no hardware compressors i just have to use software, simply cause i cant get some stuff sounding as i want it to without compressing.

p.s.
this is also one reason more to use FS.

Komplex
04-02-2004, 01:49 AM
I assume he means putting compression over the final mix. He is right, you should not put any compression over the mixdown if u are taking it to get it pressed.

Take two copies, one uncompressed and one with whatever personal mastering u want on it. That way he can use your copy as a reference but the final cut will be done by him, properly.

DJZeMig_L
04-02-2004, 03:15 AM
I guess his tip has more to do with the abuse some1 can make with a digital comp, multicomp. or other mastering progs, generally digital compressors with out it behing so easily identifiable. But In general if u use some good sense u won't screw yer tracks so much!!

Z

Basil Rush
04-02-2004, 10:26 AM
If it sounds good it probably is good, don't matter if it's software or hardware.

That's not to say the cutting engineer won't have a nicer compressor than you, he might have one that costs more than your car.

I reckon, sell your car and lease out the wife and get the model up from your cutting engineer :)

miromiric.
04-02-2004, 10:33 AM
i cant even drive, i live in downtown so i dont really need it.
i compress as i make musick, on the fly (bass+kick etc). in this way i get it sounding properly. and i have this one track that i m really proud of, it sounds mighty and just about right to me, but he just said it will suffer when on vinyl. i ll just send to engineer my personal mastering copy and uncompressed track...

Basil Rush
04-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Yeah - go to the cut if you can, definitely

DJZeMig_L
04-02-2004, 11:52 AM
I guess if the compressor is an integral part of yer sound then u should keep it... of course u should always b careful, but then again if we all followed all rules we wouldn't b making techno would we?!? :P

Maybe U should leave the finished version uncompressed... I guess like said b4 the worst damage is generally donne over the final master stereo track!

Z

herman
04-02-2004, 05:45 PM
this is partly to do with digital formats being able to handle a much larger frequency range as well as a much wider stereo field. Some compression plug ins when they are heavily compressing the sound seem to create a broader stereo field as well (not sure why this is but im sure someone will know) the problem then arise's when you come to cut the vinyl and have to mono some of the signal to get it within the ranges vinyl can deal with (this is a very common process) when you do this sometimes if the compression has pushed the stereo field too far a lot of your mid and top will disapear.
best solution is to try and check the mix in mono as well as stereo when mix it down if it still sounds cool chances are you wont have a problem.

tioneb
04-02-2004, 06:01 PM
i see a lot fo interesting when producing on your computer , you want to master the recorded track so taht each frenquency sound correct ... thats what im doing aswell

as i know i a suck a lot in mastering, i just keep the master for me and playing at home with trator, ad im sure your favourite albel you will release on has some good engineer around him who does proper thigns with hardware ... ;o)

miromiric.
04-02-2004, 06:07 PM
**** vinyl.

DJZeMig_L
04-02-2004, 07:07 PM
nah m8.. u should go ... :love: vinyl! :)

Z

Komplex
04-02-2004, 10:11 PM
**** vinyl.

word.

SlavikSvensk
05-02-2004, 04:21 PM
this brings up an interesting question...everything is soo compressed nowadays. personally i tend to like that, but sometimes records sound unecessarily muddy. is there too much compression in techno lately?

miromiric.
05-02-2004, 04:23 PM
i guess so, ppl have software compressors and generally do not know how to use them like me. thats why ****ing final scratch is so much better - i make it how i want it to sound like and play it, dont have to adjust it for the cutting needs.

Dustin Zahn
05-02-2004, 06:17 PM
but sometimes records sound unecessarily muddy. is there too much compression in techno lately?

People just can't mix down their tracks for shit. :(

Komplex
05-02-2004, 10:21 PM
it comes down to personal taste i'd say.

observer
05-02-2004, 11:06 PM
but sometimes records sound unecessarily muddy. is there too much compression in techno lately?

People just can't mix down their tracks for shit. :(

It´s a damn shame

miromiric.
05-02-2004, 11:20 PM
dustin is a smartass.

audioinjection
05-02-2004, 11:31 PM
i like the compressed sound actually, sounds phatter in my opinion, i think compression is good w/ techno.

SlavikSvensk
05-02-2004, 11:40 PM
i like it too, generally, but sometimes i think people go a little overboard. sometimes space is a good thing...

Basil Rush
06-02-2004, 01:12 PM
a compressed turd is still a compact poo.

anyone use Waves C4 a lot?

278d7e64a374de26f==