PDA

View Full Version : Reverb and Delay

Mindful
02-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Hi guys,

Im looking for suggestions for 'the ultimate' reverb and delay plug ins.

At the moment for reverb Im using Waves Rverb and PSP Spring verb... Im not that happy with any of them to be honest.

For Delay Ive been using The PSP 42 and 84, and Ohmboys... These delays are good but Im wondering if there is something better.

The reverb is what Im looking for the most. I quite fancy IK Multimedia Classik Studio Reverb but Ive found it impossible to get hold of 'the demo'

Any help would be appreciated cheers

The_Laughing_Man
02-02-2010, 11:18 PM
IKM CSR is very good.
Also Breverb is very nice.
Hit me on msn big boy, and I¬ll love you long time.

Delays I really dubstation, TAL dubdelay, NI spectral delay, filterscape, ohmboyz

Mindful
02-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Cheers Steve.. I just got hold of the demo for IKM verbs.. just had a quick mess with them and INSTANTLY can tell they are high quality. Think they will be my go to verbs for a long time.

Delays I really dubstation

There seems to be a missing verb there.... like 'I accidentally the whole thing' :D

Will check out you delay suggestion now mate

or better still I can get on msn.. Im having a problem getting on msn messenger.. it keeps telling me to install a new version but then wont install. I looked on ze net and this seems to be a common problem. I installed messenger 7 yesterday and it worked at first but now I get the same message... well frustrating!!!
Dont suppose anyone can help with this while we are at it?

The_Laughing_Man
03-02-2010, 12:07 AM
I really dubstation, and now it is stuck, is this bad?

For the TAL dub

VST TAL-DUB-II (http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-DUB-II)

there`s now a dub3
I`ll have to try that

DannyBlack
03-02-2010, 12:13 AM
for reverb try Audio Damage Eos. Drool worthy. A CPU eater though.

The_Laughing_Man
03-02-2010, 12:29 AM
ah, now the IKM CSR is pretty efficient

Mindful
03-02-2010, 12:48 AM
That TAL dub is a freebie??

sorted my msn btw

The_Laughing_Man
03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
yeah it is
good quality too

rhythmtech
03-02-2010, 01:40 AM
reverb

if you have 1800 to spare then the new lexicon bundle :lol:

theres a new lex 480L emu coming soon thats meant to nail the lex sound for a fraction of the lexicon bundle

the UAD 250 and 140 are stunning too.

for realism id go for liquidsonics reverberate. the true stereo mode with modulation is stunning with a good impulse.

delay

soundtoys echo boy is the best delay i ever bought. nothing comes close IMO

audio damage dubstation is slick

softube tube delay is dirty as hell

fabfilter timeless 2 for when you just wanna go into space :biggrin:

BloodStar
03-02-2010, 08:51 AM
My favourite delay units are Audiodamage Dubstation, TAL Dub II, and then my most favourite GS-201 which is sw clone of legendary Roland RE-201 SpaceEcho.

As for reverbs, I am often using Bootsy Epic Verb it's free and it is very very good especiallz on early reflections, then for very long spaces Smartelectronix Ambience is very good, it's freebie. Then from commerical plugins D16 Toraverb sounds nice and the Redline Reverb is good too. I dont count the Lexicon bundle at the moment, even it is a step ahead of the others, but the price is hmm, how to say it,... 1200Euros for sw verb is hmhm

rhythmtech
03-02-2010, 10:11 AM
I dont count the Lexicon bundle at the moment, even it is a step ahead of the others, but the price is hmm, how to say it,... 1200Euros for sw verb is hmhm

i think the words you're looking for are "interesting business decision" :lol:

i have a demo license for it on my ilok and im gonna start it up in a few days as ive got a mix job for a indie/pop band. im 99% sure its gonna be stunning and i'll probably fall in love with it.

sometimes i really wish i hadnt gone legit :lol:

BloodStar
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
haha, yeah that's the right words.

better not try it, you know your life won't be the same then, dont you? :-)

music sw pricing would be probably good thread to discuss as this pricing strategy is beyond me.

teknorich
03-02-2010, 11:20 AM
A mate of mine got the Lexicon reverb pack recently, and I was amazed at the price (around £1,100). He said it is so expensive as it contains the same algorhythms as their hardware does, hence giving the same quality sound. So, if they sell the software cheaply, then no f*cker is gonna buy the expensive hardware, so they'd be doing themselves out of sales!

The_Laughing_Man
03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
My favourite delay units are Audiodamage Dubstation, TAL Dub II, and then my most favourite GS-201 which is sw clone of legendary Roland RE-201 SpaceEcho.

As for reverbs, I am often using Bootsy Epic Verb it's free and it is very very good especiallz on early reflections, then for very long spaces Smartelectronix Ambience is very good, it's freebie. Then from commerical plugins D16 Toraverb sounds nice and the Redline Reverb is good too. I dont count the Lexicon bundle at the moment, even it is a step ahead of the others, but the price is hmm, how to say it,... 1200Euros for sw verb is hmhm

well if you are looking at algorhythm verbs like the lexicon and don`t want to splash out the cash (and to be honest I don`t think it is worth it) then the overloud breverb is an extremely good algorhythm based verb.
It`s actually got amazing reviews and I rate it`s performance.
With lexicon you are paying for the name as much as the reverb.

DannyBlack
03-02-2010, 12:00 PM
telin you lads, audiodamage eos. thank me later.

The_Laughing_Man
03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
processor hog, you said it yourself

DannyBlack
03-02-2010, 04:37 PM
My CPU and RAM is shite though. plus I realised what I was doing wrong. I had about 15 of them open.... oops.

rhythmtech
03-02-2010, 06:15 PM
its just "ok" danny. when you compare it to UAD plates you start to see where it is lacking. theres no real depth to it and its very static sounding. a well coded reverb should react to the input and move with the sound.

DannyBlack
03-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I disagree, Baz. I found it smooth and really, really warm. I am only comparing it to stock FL verb and free ware though, so I can't really say for sure if it's the best out there.

I shall have to check out the others mentioned in the thread. Not the €1200 one, bit rich for my blood.

The_Laughing_Man
03-02-2010, 07:08 PM
the trick is to get what you want out of a reverb, if it gets what you want, then it`s a good reverb.
There`s too much gear masturbation in the industry and not enough creativity IMO

DannyBlack
03-02-2010, 08:02 PM
This gives me what I need and that little bit extra. I'm in love with this plugin.

vinvanman
03-02-2010, 09:33 PM
the trick is to get what you want out of a reverb, if it gets what you want, then it`s a good reverb.
There`s too much gear masturbation in the industry and not enough creativity IMO

Hear, hear

rhythmtech
03-02-2010, 09:55 PM

im of the opposite thinking. IMO theres way to much shyte out there and we need more top quality, high end stuff. especially in the reverb market which is saturated with crap.

Mindful
03-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys. Will be checking out some of the delay suggestions.
As far as reverb goes I'm well happy with the IKM

The_Laughing_Man
04-02-2010, 03:59 AM
im of the opposite thinking. IMO theres way to much shyte out there and we need more top quality, high end stuff. especially in the reverb market which is saturated with crap.

There are plenty of good reverbs out there.
There`s some beautiful music coming out with lush reverb on by people using just ableton verb (not that I like ableton verb that much).
Gear wanking has and always will be endemic to production culture, but 50% is bullshit.
I`ve been a member of the record producers guild The Music Producers Guild - the record producer organisation (http://www.recordproduction.com/music_producers_guild.htm) (now called the music producers guild check the site for loads and loads of interesting stuff) since I was 19, and who have been disseminating the bullshit for years. Some of the blind product testings they do every year yield very interesting results with producers. I`ve seen some crazy unexpected results over the years (especially in areas of the analog/digital debate).
It`s very easy to get caught up in the crap and convince yourself (or be convinced) of things that when blind tested are proven totally false.
There`s far too much elitism within the studio production community (mainly from those fresh to it) and it does nothing to proliferate creativity and experimentation.

I`m not saying that the Lexicon stuff is bad at all, it isn`t, it`s good, but no longer as ahead as it was years ago, and good results can be gleaned in other ways with good technique.

It`s amazing the unexpected and unconventional gear that some truly iconic music has been made with and on.

rhythmtech
04-02-2010, 07:49 AM
There are plenty of good reverbs out there.
There`s some beautiful music coming out with lush reverb on by people using just ableton verb (not that I like ableton verb that much).
Gear wanking has and always will be endemic to production culture, but 50% is bullshit.
I`ve been a member of the record producers guild The Music Producers Guild - the record producer organisation (http://www.recordproduction.com/music_producers_guild.htm) (now called the music producers guild check the site for loads and loads of interesting stuff) since I was 19, and who have been disseminating the bullshit for years. Some of the blind product testings they do every year yield very interesting results with producers. I`ve seen some crazy unexpected results over the years (especially in areas of the analog/digital debate).
It`s very easy to get caught up in the crap and convince yourself (or be convinced) of things that when blind tested are proven totally false.
There`s far too much elitism within the studio production community (mainly from those fresh to it) and it does nothing to proliferate creativity and experimentation.

I`m not saying that the Lexicon stuff is bad at all, it isn`t, it`s good, but no longer as ahead as it was years ago, and good results can be gleaned in other ways with good technique.

It`s amazing the unexpected and unconventional gear that some truly iconic music has been made with and on.

i think you're reading me the wrong way. im sure the lexicon is beautiful. havent a clue yet till i start this demo. not that it makes a differance to me at that price.

what im saying is that a lot of the verbs are shyte. you can dispute that if you want but down in the studios im in we have a real plate and a number of lex units and to compare the sound to the average vst verb is a joke. theres very very few plugin verbs that ciould stand anywhere near the real thing, theres just no disputing that.

its unfortuate as im all about ITB here but i cant get beyond the UADs, breverb and a good IR rev.

hopefully that will all change with the new 480... or ill find 1100 on the street for the lex.

DannyBlack
04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I think you're both too long at this game lads. Ye's have lost the joy of discovery.

tee hee

stjohn
04-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Wizoo Reverb has been doing the job for me for a while. and I love how you can shape the tail, although things can be a bit phasey sometimes

Space Master in reaktor is nice. Toraverb is grungy and fun, but i wouldnt call it hi quality

As for delay, the Waves Supertap 6 is great for a tight spatial ping!

teknorich
04-02-2010, 01:08 PM
The reason my mate wanted the Lexicon isn't that it's the best overall (though he said it is very good) but more psychologically that it has been one of the industry standards for years, so a lot of well known songs, movies, adverts etc have used it, and as such, the reverb sounds it produces feels more "right" to people as they have been hearing it unknowingly for years, and so they appreciate the reverb sound more.

The_Laughing_Man
04-02-2010, 11:31 PM
I think you're both too long at this game lads. Ye's have lost the joy of discovery.

tee hee

not at all, it`s easy to get caught up in sound nerd bullshit when you have been around for a while.
Getting anal over stupid things like reverb.
Then you hear a beautiful piece of music made with shit cheap crap, or done just with ableton or something, and realise it doesn`t matter.
IF you can get it to sound good, then it sounds good, electronic music moves the goal posts, and "natural" isn`t always what is required.
I get caught up in it myself (I own a 7 grand compressor for ****s sake), and yet I still get more pleasing results sometimes with free software.

It important to understand the rules, and then even more important to bend the **** out of them.

278d7e64a374de26f==