PDA

View Full Version : in place editing in ableton

Jay Pace
25-03-2010, 05:12 PM
can't figure it out.
can it be done? Used to rely on the ability to edit samples in situ with cubase, but ableton doesn't seem to have this functionality.

Am i supposed to use an external sample editor? Help!

Also - anyone else find that certain plugins spike CPU ridiculously? Albino 3 has loads of presets that spike my fairly beefy CPU something stupid, as does nebula. Both plugins worked without a squeak in cubase.....

Bah. Having just got used to producing in ableton, going to get irked if it won't behave properly...

curly
25-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Only just started using live 8.1, but was using live 5 for a few years. So I might not be taking full advantage of any new features, but when it comes to editing samples I use an external sample editor, just set up in the preferences, when you save and exit the external editor ableton automaticly updates.

As for albino 3, are you running the latest version (3.1) version 3.0 was not working properly with ableton.

I was having trouble with it the other day though, when ever albino was playing I was getting no signal to the master bus, but the rest of the tracks were showing on there channel VU meters, just not on the master, when I stopped albino playing everything started working correctly.

I dont get any cpu spikes though on my machine and cant remember getting the cpu meter above about 35% on my quad core 2.7 running windows 7.

I have found live 8 to be unstable on my machine and there are lots of reports of this on the ableton forum. tbh am much as I am loving live 8 and the apc 40, they are causing me some headaches.

stjohn
25-03-2010, 08:56 PM
for edit you can set up an external editor to open your samples, and then they will reload in your Live project when you save. i rarely use one tho, i can basically do everything in arrangement view with clip envelopes and consolidating.

BloodStar
26-03-2010, 02:13 PM
i rarely use one tho, i can basically do everything in arrangement view with clip envelopes and consolidating.

+1

Jay Pace
26-03-2010, 05:31 PM
What about simple things like normalising?

curly
26-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I dont normalize as such, I just adjust the gain, each clip has it's own gain in the sample box and the graphic of the clip adjusts as you do this so you can see visually what you are doing.

Fade in and out of samples I do using volume envelopes.

removing silence or unwanted noise for the start of sounds I do by adjusting the start and end points

One handy hint is if you set the seg. BPM to that of your project you can have warp activated to allowing the setting of start, end and loop points, but with out the warp engine messing with the sound.

The best part of this is it is non destructive, so there is no need to have multipul copies of the same sample with diffrent fade in for example.

I hope some of what I said helped. If you are unclear I will try to explain in more detail.

Jay Pace
26-03-2010, 07:25 PM
All makes sense.
Guess its just a matter of getting used to a different process & workflow
Cheers for all your input guys
J

curly
26-03-2010, 07:47 PM
The work flow in ableton took me ages to get my head around, but i have found it very worth the effort, it's non linear approach i feel is it's major strength.

278d7e64a374de26f==