PDA

View Full Version : Kurly - Succubus Partol

curly
30-03-2010, 06:39 PM
This is something that started with me just messing around with some samples I had recorded and inspired this. I actually ending up writing it twice, due to stoned stupidity on sunday evening, after spending all day writing, I saved a new project with the same name, and totally overwrote the original. I was well pissed of at myself but rewrote it again.

I am hoping to learn from my mistake, if i dont i deserve shit like that to happen.

Kurly - Succubus Patrol - SoundCloud (http://soundcloud.com/kurly/succubus-patrol)

teknorich
30-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Mate, that is pure evil! Dark, distorted, moody... I like it! :yup:

DannyBlack
30-03-2010, 08:01 PM
**** me thats bloody good.... ****!

curly
30-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Mate, that is pure evil! Dark, distorted, moody... I like it! :yup:

Cheers teknorich, I have been wanting someone to describe my music like that for years, im well chuffed :smile:

curly
30-03-2010, 09:33 PM
**** me thats bloody good.... ****!

cheers Danny

Gratz on the release. Have you written much lately, not heard one of you tracks in a while.

btw how was the mixdown on that track? ive been changing my room around, and am still unsure of the sound.

DannyBlack
31-03-2010, 01:33 AM
cheers mate!

I have written a few things, and have another just waiting completion. really dank, dark stuff which im not too sure id get any real interest from- but i like it.

the mixdown sounds spot on from what I can hear. The effect you have on the vocal is splendid, really clean. bloody good work.

curly
31-03-2010, 06:37 PM
@ danny, well i would like to hear it when you are ready

judas_beast
31-03-2010, 07:38 PM
That's ****ing relentless mate. Can't comment on the mix-down too much, as I listening on cans.

The acid stab type noise is a bit static for me. Really like the synth line, its mental! Sometimes I feel the track gets a bit loopy - maybe try some variation on various percussion parts occasionally. It's ****ing evil mate, really ****ed up! :D

Little_Fella!
04-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Ahaaaaa...

Curly how's it going mi sausage ?...? >>> ... got yourself all sorted finally with your set up yeah? ... cool :cool:

Oooooh ... this is a nasty nagging track - and I thought you were a nice boy :briggin: .... ok .. I'm on headphones at worky so accuracy is limited

ummmm... I aint done this in a while so am wondering where to start - ummm... at the beggining is a good place !

I do like the intro part up to the first break - that sliding mournful atmo 'lead' sound does the job nicely >> production >>

problem here is it sounds like you are using the reverb from the kick to create your bottom end rumble layer or something with similar frequency range - this is scraping against the bottom frequencies of the sliding atmo as it filters around - edges of mud appear - so add sub to the rumbly and high pass the top off at say 90hz - make it rumble - low pass the slidey at 120hz (perhaps - see how much it thins the sound out to what you will accept - fiddle with rigidness 6db - 12db etc.) .. have a listen n see if I'm right - - I might not be (!)

more>>

Little_Fella!
04-04-2010, 02:05 AM
ok .. the hat pattern tikka tikka sound 30sec seems too verby pushing it back in the mix - twould be better tikkin' more in your face in this instance - keeping that change in intensity idea throughout the track at well thought out places would be good too... also chopping the pattern, spreading it out n making it go against the flow at odd moments, in line with the slidey atmo, will throw a bit more confusion factor in there :dark:

I think the screamy vox loop should be the only element to have obvious reverb... as this is a sample you need some effect which you can wet/dry some movement with using Lfo filters with different shapes and rates - have you got Buffer Overide (stereo) in your vsti effects bank? .. this is a handy tool for this type of scenario if you can tame it right...

Structure needs to change >> you have broken beat techno but with a 4x4 structure - be nice to hear the beat while the guy is still talking - then break it off & just leave the vocal on it's own for two bars - then back in earlier than expected .. broken beat for me is more about experiencing that surprise moment but without the tune being too structurally glitchy to the point it becomes annoying...

I'd take the vocal scream away a bit earlier and let the track play out with vocal snippets form that guy again - this will enhance mood - especially if you gradually make the guy's vocal less n less discernable as the track is playing out... :rupuke:

Good to see you back producing mate... good promising dark as f*** stuff :ruevil:

Little_Fella!
04-04-2010, 02:28 AM
Sorry yeah .. meant to say that you can add some sub to your kick ... also here is the finished version of that track we worked on matey >> tis not mastered but I have normalised it in Sound Forge - which is sacrelige but I got away with it (!)

The sub on this is pretty much at the right point - for referencing - although I would be quite sure that the mix is far from perfect (!) he say's looking for Steve :runinja: :rurazz:

Emotional Robot - 'Emotional Robot' Soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/bendevianttechno/emotional-robot-emotional-robot)

curly
04-04-2010, 09:09 AM
BEN!!! good to hear from you. Will pm you later, I have to go out now so will chat later.

Thanks for putting the effort in you have into listening and writing about this track. When i get home at lunchtime, I will work my way through all your points and let you know how i get on.

nice one for posting a link to the other track, I will listen when i get home as I try not to piss the neighbours off play playing music at 8:30 on a sunday morning.

curly
06-04-2010, 09:16 PM
@little fella,

did write quite a long post here about emotional robot, but never posted it, doh, I will have to rewrite that when i have more time, but in short, you done a good job and put in a lot of work after i left.

you were spot on about the sub, It is not coming from the kick, but a seperate track, I had the filter set far far far too high, causing me a multitude of problems, including the muddyness with the other line, and also not alowing me to push it hard enough in the mix.

The verb on the top end, yeah had way too much of that as well.

The top end loop already has tones of modulation going on, think i will have to spend more time on this as i agree that although the sound changes it is not drastic enough.

cheers for all your pointers, they are a great help as always

278d7e64a374de26f==