PDA

View Full Version : Deviant - 'I will minimalise...' (you be the Judge)

Little_Fella!
06-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Ummmm..

This track started as a play around with the idea of blending a kinda minimal approach but with the ethos of making it quite hypnotic rather than making the listener focus too much >> perhaps the middle ground between techno & minimal is what I'm trying to achieve...

Anyways, someone liked it and wanted to release it so I pulled mi finger out instead of juss archiving it as an experiment >> production pointers and ideas most welcome :coolio:

Deviant - 'I will minimalise...' (you be the Judge) (http://www.mediafire.com/?dmdz3dyjotb)

curly
06-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Nice one Ben. Minimal with a proper kick drum,

Well this is the first time I have tried to write something constructive about someone else's work properly in months. unfortunaley it apears not to be the done thing here anymore. forgive me if you think what is write is bollox but like you said it might start a chain of thought.

I like the weight of the bottom and of the kick, something that i find missing from so many tunes in this style. it fits so well in the mix with the synth part you have playing from the start. The bass is nice, with a riff that gives it room to breath.

Your hats that come in @bar 65 sound like they have too much verb, with no definition of the transients. on the contrast to this @bar 105 you have some hats that in my opion are too dry but have a nice gritty sound to them, unfortunaly they get lost under the ride, maybe try eqing some more off the bottom of the ride.

You have a nice mid stab with i belive some delay on, starting @bar 17 i think, Im not sure but could do with being a db or 2 louder. Also there is a nice synth fx @bar 145 that may be a tad too loud, a good test i use for this is to turn the speakers right down, untill you can just make out the diffrent parts, then turn them down a little more, if any elements jump out at you they are probably too loud.

The synth playing the top end percussion @49..... sounds really lush and clean, sits well in the mix . my favourite sound in this is the lead @97 that i can only describe as a wobble board.

Btw good job as i had to listen a good few times to this to be able to comment this much on the production,

Are you still using orion? and am I being too cheaky if i ask if i can do a remix?

Little_Fella!
06-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Awwww.. .. sugary >> I've done another mix before I checked for feedback - some points there I dint address - which I will have a look at next I get chance

However, if you could do me the favour of listening to this mix and in particular the synth fx@ bar145 for volume as I'm struggling to get it right - I burnt my ears out mixing in headphones yesterday as all mi house mates were not well from the Easter froloicks - so I didn't bang bang all the afternoon - you know the crack lol :rupuke:

Deviant - 'I will minimalise...' (http://www.mediafire.com/?n4o5tmol2jm)

Cheers for that Curly >> I'm glad some one is putting soe adviices forward :exclaim:

Oh yeah... will always use Orion and no probs on the remix >> I will pm you and we can work out what you have - to send you the Orion song file

BloodStar
07-04-2010, 01:59 PM
gonna check in the evening, when i am home. :]

curly
07-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I think that synth @145 sounds fine,

DannyBlack
07-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I really like this. I can't comment on production because I'm not very good yet- but listenability is 100%. I would buy this and play this.

Little_Fella!
07-04-2010, 10:14 PM
@Vlasta : mekk sure you listen to the second offering pleases matey .. Ta

@Danny : cheers for the encouragement there >> you should still try to say something - have a look at what other's have written and track through to see if you can recognise and identify what is being pointed out (apart from Steve's tuition that's how I used to pick up on stuff) // then see if you agree with what's been said

@Curly: yeah nice one - I checked today and the vol is ok @145 - one issue I noticed with what you mentioned is there isn't a hat what comes in @bar65 - I think it's the echo effect coming in on the mid range pulse/delay sound that is there from the start which is creating a weird ambience, which is what I wanted - the tune is trapped in my lap top so not had chance to check bar numbers properly

Good comment on the slightly dry hat @bar105 - I deliberately did this so that it separates it's self from the ride >> have another listen as you will find that it does remain defined when the ride comes in ... do this on fresh lugs :dj: heh

BloodStar
08-04-2010, 06:08 PM
sooo. nice funky minimalistic tune,this. that sub bass rumble has proper laidback groove :] i am liking those little vocal snipets. working fairly good with the groove.
really love that part which starts around 4 minutes. it sounds well complete there,. pad in 4:27 mark adds really nice depth and flow. you may introduce it bit earlier,maybe?! some smart edits here and there on top of it, and it brings it all to next levels. :]

production is nice. well balanced sounds,. kick has nice punch. some of those leads could be tad dirtier to give it more bite,.bass is sweet, another layer with more grit played at some parts would be good, too.
overall i would try to incorporate more verbs and some kind of spatial modulation tools, to bring some new life in those sounds. add bits here and there to sweeten it up would be my last touch as other than that this is proper tune content/production wise.

not on orion, but would also love to give it a remix try. export some loops or stems and stick a pack somewhere. :-)

278d7e64a374de26f==