PDA

View Full Version : Newbie don't laugh

blistanbul
11-04-2010, 05:55 AM
guys i owe me mini korg and some vinyls. i want to produce, i want to i-pod dj, i want to do what i want, but how?

how do you begin? should i buy idj and start djing, and produce how?

curly
11-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Welcome to BOA

If you want to start producing, my advice would be to go and buy a copy of computer music magazine, The CD that comes with it has all the software you need to get started and is full of tutorials. there is no point is waxing serveral hundred quid on software until you know you are going to stick with it.

as for DJ'ing, I cant help you there, i'm a little out of date having never done the digital mixing thing, but i would not advise going down the vinyl route as that is old hat, with a lot of music only getting digital releases.

blistanbul
11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
yeah i have a mini-korg which i play around with time to time and was contemplating buying a numark i-dj to dj. in terms of producing i have a copy of fruity loops but can i use the mini-korg with that and what do i need to actually start recording some tunes?

force
12-04-2010, 11:35 AM
If you get to know fruity loops, then you can make whole tunes with that.
Whats a mini korg?

Jay Pace
12-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Fruity loops probably has the most friendly learning curve out of all the DAWs, and once you get the hang of it its very powerful.

You can still use your mini korg, you'll just need to get it synched up with some midi cables, and then you can let your computer control the sounds on your mini korg, or use the mini korg as a controller to control the sounds on your computer.

if you want to use the sounds on your mini-korg, and sounds on your computer you'll need some sort of mixer. A dj mixer will do, but they tend to do slightly strange things to sound quality unless you buy a really expensive one. Still, a dj mixer is a handy thing to have, and cheap, so it might be the practical thing to start with.

Djing... if you want to "i pod dj" I'm guessing you want to do it with mp3 files. The two main platforms to do that with are ableton and traktor. Traktor is a lot more dj friendly IMO, and its a lot closer to traditional djing. Ableton djing is a sort of halfway point between production and djing, its not quite as flexible or fast as traktor djing, and has a different sound and feel to it. You can download both programs on trial and play around, find out which is best for you.

Jants
12-04-2010, 07:34 PM
so would it b better to go straight in to my amp for production rather than threw my mixer ?

Jay Pace
12-04-2010, 08:08 PM
it doesn't really matter until you start recording things - if you use your korg at some point you will want to record whats coming out of it into your computer. At that point, its best to not use your dj mixer, because it colours the sound.

But it doesn't matter all that much. Great music has been made with rubbish equipment, if you're just starting out I'd just plug everything in the easiest way possible and have fun with it. Sound quality is something to worry about a little later on.

Jants
12-04-2010, 08:20 PM
good oh !!

curly
12-04-2010, 08:21 PM
It might be worth just using FL on it's own for a few hours to see how it works before you incorprate the korg, just to see how things work. then add to korg to the setup, I think this may make things less complycated.

278d7e64a374de26f==