PDA

View Full Version : Fruity-tekno hi hats-quanitized?

Veber
15-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Hi.

First, I'm finally able to be in this forum and I'm very excited! glad to meet all of you!!!
I'm suprised this forum isn't subtitled (Fruity / Cubase / Reason / Abelton....etc)
Ok,

Tekno tracks have a rythmic/fast hi hat(open/closed) pulsing through tracks. When I try to replicate this in fruity, will I be quantitizing them? I say no? cuz, for every four steps, It seems like (in the traks i hear) there is like 5 or more hi hat hits per 4 step sequence? Do i use paino roll for this?

not sure what the pattern even looks like.

thanks
A

BloodStar
15-04-2010, 08:19 AM
1/32th notes is what your talking about., however i guess majority of hi hats loops, grooves etc are basically 1/16th notes.

curly
15-04-2010, 05:45 PM
welcome Veber,

can you post an example of this please,

Veber
17-04-2010, 04:08 AM
Bloodstar - Im not learning with loops. Im learning to create my own loops...

curly- here ya go...

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7662/boa12.jpg

The piano roll options do not cut up the time spaces either.
Maybe I'm not translating what I hear correctly? I've never seen an actual techno track in a DAW before, only the trance samples they give.

PS. i havent learned how to post images in forums yet.

Veber
17-04-2010, 05:46 PM
well...i was viewing premade loops, and i actaully saw what i want to do in paino roll. it was a tiny slice.

Thing is, I've tried doing this. I've used the ZOOM tool to view them upclose to break em aprart - but the zoom doest do that (like cubase)?
and Ive tried selecting it and using the "shuffle,randomize" tools, with no result

Radic
18-04-2010, 11:28 AM

curly- here ya go...

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7662/boa12.jpg

The piano roll options do not cut up the time spaces either.
Maybe I'm not translating what I hear correctly? I've never seen an actual techno track in a DAW before, only the trance samples they give.

PS. i havent learned how to post images in forums yet.

you can use the piano roll if you like but there's nothing wrong with using the step sequencer in the picture you provided. Naturally when you put your hats on each 16 steps of the sequencer they will be hard quantised basically. this is no good as it creates that sterile no life feel. You have to make slight variations to most of the samples to give it a more human feel. In the top right of the pic you provided you see 2 squares. select the square on the left and find the 'shift' edit mode. manually move notes around and adjust their timing. find the velocity edit mode and make slight adjustments there as well. find the 'pitch' edit mode and make slight changes there as well if you like. Things like that will make your 1/16 notes more interesting.

You can do all this in the piano roll editor. There's an option to turn off the grid edit pattern and just manually paste notes in there and still make the other changes as well (velocity, pitch) if you like. Remember that notes slightly before the kick drum will give more push to a groove and notes slightly after a kick will give a more relaxed feel. It takes a while to work it out but it's worth it.

Another thing you can do is sample a loop at the start of a track that you like. load it into the fl studio slicer plugin. Let the slicer chop up the samples. The samples should now be all chopped up and notes showing in the piano roll. Take a real good look at where all the notes are starting and you will notice that there not all on the 1/16 grid. You should be able to then copy this note pattern and use it as a template for your own tracks with your own sounds if that makes sense. These are just one of many ideas of course.

DannyBlack
18-04-2010, 12:22 PM
you can use the piano roll if you like but there's nothing wrong with using the step sequencer in the picture you provided. Naturally when you put your hats on each 16 steps of the sequencer they will be hard quantised basically. this is no good as it creates that sterile no life feel. You have to make slight variations to most of the samples to give it a more human feel. In the top right of the pic you provided you see 2 squares. select the square on the left and find the 'shift' edit mode. manually move notes around and adjust their timing. find the velocity edit mode and make slight adjustments there as well. find the 'pitch' edit mode and make slight changes there as well if you like. Things like that will make your 1/16 notes more interesting.

You can do all this in the piano roll editor. There's an option to turn off the grid edit pattern and just manually paste notes in there and still make the other changes as well (velocity, pitch) if you like. Remember that notes slightly before the kick drum will give more push to a groove and notes slightly after a kick will give a more relaxed feel. It takes a while to work it out but it's worth it.

Another thing you can do is sample a loop at the start of a track that you like. load it into the fl studio slicer plugin. Let the slicer chop up the samples. The samples should now be all chopped up and notes showing in the piano roll. Take a real good look at where all the notes are starting and you will notice that there not all on the 1/16 grid. You should be able to then copy this note pattern and use it as a template for your own tracks with your own sounds if that makes sense. These are just one of many ideas of course.

+1. I use the piano roll too. Allows me to put my notes anywhere I want and allows a human feel to the hats. mess around with velocity, basically everything that Radic just said.

curly
18-04-2010, 03:36 PM
sorry for the late reply, I was after an audio example, but it looks like you have had more help from people that use FL, I could have only expalained the principals not how to do them in fl, so the above post will be of far more use.

Veber
20-04-2010, 04:17 AM
RADIC -
thank you!

you can use the piano roll if you like but there's nothing wrong with using the step sequencer in the picture you provided. Naturally when you put your hats on each 16 steps of the sequencer they will be hard quantised basically. this is no good as it creates that sterile no life feel. You have to make slight variations to most of the samples to give it a more human feel.

----ive done this and stilll working on how to make this sound better. I'm trying to limit my effects so i dont clog up my machine on just learning......

In the top right of the pic you provided you see 2 squares. select the square on the left and find the 'shift' edit mode. manually move notes around and adjust their timing. find the velocity edit mode

--im tryn this...

You can do all this in the piano roll editor. There's an option to turn off the grid edit pattern and just manually paste notes in there and still make the other changes as well (velocity, pitch) if you like.

---neat, didnt know that

Remember that notes slightly before the kick drum will give more push to a groove and notes slightly after a kick will give a more relaxed feel. It takes a while to work it out but it's worth it.

----thanks for the tip..ill use it

---I did learn this in the meantime. I also noticed that you can use the "cuter" tool to snip up the hits into smaller pieces-just what i was looking for. I did relize that goin back to -- the 16 step sequencing is still important.

THANKS GUYS> problem solved!

Radic
20-04-2010, 12:13 PM
----ive done this and stilll working on how to make this sound better. I'm trying to limit my effects so i dont clog up my machine on just learning......

some people work it out quick others may take a lot longer. It all depends on your creativity in the end. Personally i like to keep things subtle with my changes.

Yeah the knife tool in the piano roll is cool if you wanna get that squarepusher machine gun sound thing happening.

BloodStar
21-04-2010, 08:08 AM
wtf.?! i am saying, that hi hat grooves (no matter if you create it or take it from some cd, it doesnt matter) are made of 1/16th or 1/32th NOTES,,,,,..

splitting 1/16 note on another 5 is silly idea, but yeah it is your choice, so go for it,..

use smart shuffling/humanizing for bringing more action and life in it.

Veber
24-04-2010, 12:37 AM
blood star your right - I didnt mean to direct that towards ya..oops...

Veber
24-04-2010, 05:37 PM
played with the slicer - learning so much...

Thanks again guys!

278d7e64a374de26f==