PDA

View Full Version : Party review - SPLIT @ Trunmills 7th feb 2004

tioneb
08-02-2004, 10:27 AM
(typos unchecked)

Almost eleven here and I m stuck on this computer. The fact that its currently playing good music makes me forget in only slept 1h30 in the plane. So ehre is this Saturday nite review.

The pizza and the two espressos which has spent the nite on my messy table just remind me we were a bit speedy to get the plane to London. Enough time though to make me wear my special « non-haircut ». All the girls around me know that will allow me not to get a girl tonite, which will make me more enjoy the music.

At the airport we chaeck without any problem, perfectly knowing the mate im travelling with has his ID which is not valid since one year (oo old). Then we realized that we slept a bit too much in geography class : UK isnt in Shengen zone, and the admission is really restrictive. My mate stays stuck at the airport… too bad… and worse when i arrive in London becasue the ID checking is almost inexistant….

In 10 minutes i manage to get out of the plane, change my money, buy train ticket and get to the train. Kewl im earlieras planed and i arrive at Turmills 4th in the queue. Five minutes later there are 50 people behind me. The nite will be packed. Its sold out.

By some kewl hazard the girl next to me in the queue is French. Shes kinda VIP freak with her poker card to enter ( ???). At least that allows me not to have problem to enter. I want to say her thanks wheni see ehr 10 mniutes laster in the club, but shes already tashing herself at the bar. I remembered she told me she is half Irish so nothing schocking. Peace to the really nice sweetie she is.

Just have the time to pull off my coat that the HOG tshirt kids recognize my Emergence T shirt. Ampassassin will give me so Birmingham accent lesson while im trying to teach his grils how to kiss on cheeks to say hello. Chris Finke is playing and the music is definitely good.

Time to talk about music : Paul Mac and Mark Broom are doing the thing in the other room. Genuine Detroit stuff, minimal techno, acid house.The people dissing them for making silly srummy tracks should have been ehre to hear they have a huge musical culture. Congrats !!! But Chris Finke, and then Ben Sims, do it harder at the other room… People started screaming from 11 or so, so guess that when I was at the Broom vs Mac teh venue (what i should call « the labyrinth ») was totally full. Was like tube corridors at peak hours. Time to say hello to Sam Horam and seeing my understanding of English is definitely bad when ther is music in the background.

But we all understand music. Oliver Ho does his live in the main room. Im happy to see that someone uses Ableton Live in a clever way, with a midi controller. Really nice melodic tribal stuff. Definitely a good live. Told to be boring by some people, but the fact i was often going to other room made me enjoyed so much the parts ive heard, a true good techno live act in my opinion.

Derrick May takes the decks and after an SMS battle i finally meet Max Duley. Really nice guy !! Ben Sims and Chris Fike walking around say hello. Amp was right to tell me Finke is nice, ahhaha hes the living proof that i am not that much talkative guy !! Poeple close to me wouldnt beleive tehre a guy on this planet more talkative than me, but he is definitely… And well i guess taht a promoter is always happy to see someone travelling from abroad just for his party heheheh.

Thean this is Derrick May time.

Chicken lips is funny. A Guy Called Gerald is groovy and funky. But thats in the other room you have to be. Derrick May. A first hour of a bit boring tribal again and again, but with ENERGY. The funk is here and invades all the room. Impossible to move on the dancefloor. Iam so tired that i feel second, so im just moving a bit staring at this « dancing breasts » girl. Everywhere i was she was there too, you could see the top half of her breasts maintained by some kewl bacl top, but she was dancing in a way they were constantly jumping. Derrick May time, my mind is out of control. Impossible to understand Sam trying to explain me we can use Soulseek. The Avril remix of French Kiss…. Back to the floor after some short visit of the gloomy corridors.

May plays Jimmy Sommerville « You make me feel ». I couldnt have left with this signature of the guy. But its time to leave. I will miss Surgeon, but I dont wanna miss my plane. I forget 5£ in the cab, which was already expansive. Train. Plane. Bus. Home. It smells pizza here. Grrr took me half an hour to write this, and this Dave Ellesmere album is going to its end. Ths Jeff Mills DVD is staring at me, next to the finished IKEA candle.

Defnitely London is a nice city for clubbing. Good atmosphere, good music and pretty girls all the way. My haircut had succes, i got no handjobs in the gloomy corridors, i guess Surgeon spanked all the girls who left alone that night.

jock
10-02-2004, 02:32 PM
No idea what that post is saying to be honest, but here is my 10pence worth.

I thought it was ****ing brilliant. I haven't been out since ILT in october and so was pissing my pants at this line-up. After an eventful trip down we got to tunrmills as soon as it opened, got in and Chris Finke was on till 11:30, playing more house tunes than techno but still very very good, sound was a bit low.

Had a look round, saw Ben Sims and Mark Broom at bar, then Ben came on at 11:30 till 1, class set, still warming up really but the dancefloor was very busy. Playing some quality stuff like Alarms, Freash People, Women Beat Their Men, all the stuff you wanna hear Ben play!!!

Oliver Ho was on for an hour after, thought he was dead funky at the start and kept the crowd going, chilled it out a bit towards the end which i expected, had a listen to Paul Mac & Mark Broom but couldnt really get into things in that room.

Derrick May was very dissapointing, poor tune selection IMO and his skills, although good, made him sound like he was trying to be too clever, and it just stopped things flowing again IMO. When he played that Jimmy Somerville record near the end there was a guy next to us who looked utterly disgusted!!!! :clap: :lol:

Surgeon was ****ing unbelievable though, 2 hours of the most brutal yet perfect sounding music I have ever heard. Throwing all kinds of tracks about that were mixed, using his laptop instead of decks, perfectly each time. This guy is by far the No.1 Techno dj and producer at the moment I think, every time i see him just gets better and better. We were all stood at the back going mental, then his encore just blew the socks off everyone!!!!!

Overall I think the night was a massive success. I like the club but everyone knows it was too busy, over capacity and they have said they will sort it out for the next one (May 1st vs Atomic Jam!!). The sound i thought was fine, bit quiet at the start but when ben and surgeon were on it sounded pretty good where we were stood. Loved the way ben locked the door at the end so the security couldnt get in the booth, just so surgeon could **** around even more!! :clap:

Anyway, great night, cant wait for May!!! :)

split
10-02-2004, 07:15 PM
a big big thanks to all who turned out, especially those who travelled from far away, it was a very successful night and obviously there's a couple of issues we'll bear in mind for the next one but overall it was an extremely positive start to the project and we're happy.

watch out for....
split vs atomic jam. may 1st.
retro_vert 005. june 12th
plus some special one off nights in the summer.

thanks for your support.
split/rv crew.Â*

ampassasinbirmingham
10-02-2004, 07:31 PM
there was deffinantly some fanky gals shacking their shit at the front all night. Extemeley nice meeting you benoit:):)

tioneb
10-02-2004, 09:25 PM
oh by the way i have to correct it, this is the orginal tune and not the jimmy sommerville remake darrick may spinned ...

this endless chat seems to have finally found its right answer .... years of arguing with my mates got solved (thanks paul !)

tioneb
10-02-2004, 09:27 PM
there was deffinantly some fanky gals shacking their shit at the front all night. Extemeley nice meeting you benoit:):)

shave your hippy hair and youll look like my favourite fattie... this is the only way youll definitely get into dark techno amp

ampassasinbirmingham
11-02-2004, 12:19 PM

shave your hippy hair and youll look like my favourite fattie... this is the only way youll definitely get into dark techno amp

may span sylvesters version. i think its a trade mark of his. he has done it every time ive seen him

Patrick
11-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Well, finally getting round to checking in after the weekend. Top night, well done to Split.

Top sets from Sims, Ho and Surgeon. Well good. Surgeon is on it at the mo !

Derrick May, as has already been said by others, was really disappointing imo. No point in repeating it as Jock has already summed up exactly how I felt about it.

Not sure about Turnmills as a venue. That was my first time there. Outrageously expensive. Staff are rude, obnoxious cunts. But the layout is weird. I mean, I like all the little rooms and areas, but I think the dancefloor is too small in relation to the overall size of the venue, so it always seems too cramped with too many people bumping into you all the time. And the sound isn't what it should be for a club of that size and reputation.

Still, all in all a good night.

T
11-02-2004, 01:12 PM
some mates of mine went and had a good night, was gutted not to be able to go to this....retro/verts splits are the only techno nights in london I've been to over the last year and i've really enjoyed all the ones I've attended.
Will look forward to blowing the cobwebs away later in the year at their next one!

Techno-warlord
12-02-2004, 12:28 PM
And just as everyone was loosing breathing power, they opened another room .................... which was promptly shut as soon as everyone looked nice and comfortable again. Why ?

I hope the issues are addressed for the next one.

Good night though......

MARKEG
13-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Gutted. Sometimes I get so pissed off missing nights like this in London. Need to stop DJing. Hahaha.

278d7e64a374de26f==