PDA

View Full Version : England v. USA

SlavikSvensk
09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
who wins?

DannyBlack
09-06-2010, 05:33 PM
England. The USA are not strong enough a Team just yet.

SlavikSvensk
09-06-2010, 06:22 PM
USA is a bit streaky. could lose 3-1 or win 3-1 against anyone and i wouldn't be shocked. i also think england is, once again, overrated. crashing out in the quarters to a familiar chorus of "how could this have happened" seems pretty predictable to me.

so i think the US will surprise england with their athleticism, fundametals and speed. BUT, i don't think the US have enough skill at the key positions to out and out win this one. so i'm guessing a 1-1 draw, just like what usually happens when england plays less talented but better conditioned sweden :lol:

DannyBlack
09-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Perhaps. I don't know though, England seem to have a pretty strong team at the moment. I canit see a draw on this one at all. 1-0 to England.

SlavikSvensk
09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
never a good idea to draw too many conclusions from friendlies, but...england looked horrid in its recent friendlies :lol:

i've no doubt they'll make it to the knockout stages, probably win the group, and i think they're unlikely to lose to the US.

but i don't think it's really that great of a team. the backbone is the same as before, only older and slower. i think early on, when everyone's cautious and uncertain, a young, athletic team like the US could steal a point from this match. of course, like i said, i wouldn't be shocked if the US lost 3-1 either. or won, even though i think that's the least likely scenario. a draw seems most plausible to me right now.

the problem is, it would do a fat lot of good over here. americans don't understand draws, and unless the US actually beats england, it's not likely to get people excited about the sport.

drift9
09-06-2010, 07:12 PM
americans don't understand draws, and unless the US actually beats england, it's not likely to get people excited about the sport.

and even if they did win, it would be unlikely to get people interested in the sport here. frankly i want the us to lose. it will dramatically decrease the chances of my ass getting kicked by angry britts in amsterdam in a few weeks.

DannyBlack
09-06-2010, 07:22 PM
and even if they did win, it would be unlikely to get people interested in the sport here. frankly i want the us to lose. it will dramatically decrease the chances of my ass getting kicked by angry britts in amsterdam in a few weeks.

You're going to Techno matey :-) No soccer thugs at Techno. Besides, you have a large Irish group going, stick to them and you'll be fine.

@Slav: I think experience will win out on this occasion. The USA, although they're fit, don't have the experience required for a win.

djfase
09-06-2010, 07:59 PM
2-1 england but only just.

Will still have to get used to altitude

DannyBlack
09-06-2010, 08:05 PM
And the new ball.

force
10-06-2010, 11:12 AM
England generally play better against the 'better' teams imo.

0-0 at half time against Andorra a while back......WTF

And then go to Croatia and beat them 5-1

SlavikSvensk
10-06-2010, 04:42 PM
so is the US one of the 'better' teams?

i'd put the US in the same category as sweden and denmark...very tough to play against, but not elite.

C.O.Prodigy
10-06-2010, 05:12 PM
so is the US one of the 'better' teams?

i'd put the US in the same category as sweden and denmark...very tough to play against, but not elite.

Yes.

And it's getting better all the time.
I think power wise it's up there with Italy and France, not with the mentality cause it will never have that but with power certainly if not more powerful.
Power and stamina are a big part of today's game, and the USA has no shortage of football savvy plus they have developed their own style. Any lack of respect towards the US will result in a goal for the US.

Capello knows this, it will be a crucial game.
If I had to pick a winner it would be USA, if I had to pick a result it would be a draw.

ps.

England is capable of losing this game and still winning the tournament. Although I'm sad that Ashley Young isn't in the squad.

SlavikSvensk
10-06-2010, 05:27 PM
US is definitely younger and more athletic, while england is older and slower. but england also has more skill at the key positions.

i think you're right on the playing style, C.O. it might throw the english for a loop. but i just don't see the US having enough firepower up front to finish the job against the english defense. but hey...it's the world cup, so you never know!

my prediction for this group is a draw here, but england win the group on goal differential.

DannyBlack
10-06-2010, 05:38 PM
main thing is- SOMEONE- i dont care who, has to beat the shit out of them french wankers.

C.O.Prodigy
10-06-2010, 07:18 PM
but i just don't see the US having enough firepower up front to finish the job against the english defense. but hey...it's the world cup, so you never know!

Good point.

I think that the US style doesn't require world class type strikers for their quality to show. They are very well capable of shooting from distance with power we talked about earlier. England always has a problem with goal keepers, especially with David James, everything is possible.

But If England dominate the midfield and control the ball and the game enough, then it's going to be that much tougher for the US, leaving only a counter attacking solution for them.
This is the world cup, every defense in the world will crumble before the elite strikers we have on show this cup. The trick is to be the team that concedes the least goals.

main thing is- SOMEONE- i dont care who, has to beat the shit out of them french wankers.

Don't worry about them Danny, the french coach will be their downfall.

blistanbul
11-06-2010, 05:12 AM
2-1 England, with the US scoring first.

DannyBlack
11-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Don't worry about them Danny, the french coach will be their downfall.

:-) heres to hoping my friend!

SlavikSvensk
12-06-2010, 08:15 PM
well, some poor defending and great play from gerrard makes it 1-0 early. US looks good in the middle of the pitch though. hopefully can make something of that.

SlavikSvensk
12-06-2010, 08:17 PM
US defense looks atrocious so far though.

but...

1-1!!!!!!!!!

SlavikSvensk
12-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Ha! I was right, 1-1. Really exciting match. England dominated the second half, but the US had the best scoring chance...

of course, a draw against England is like a win for US.

force
12-06-2010, 10:08 PM
feel sick.

Jay Pace
12-06-2010, 10:22 PM
that was lame lame lame
head in a bucket of shame
butter fingers green needs glue on his gloves

SlavikSvensk
12-06-2010, 10:27 PM
he did make a nice save on the late altidore strike, though. that should have been a goal.

in any event, england should still win the group

eppertheleper
12-06-2010, 10:52 PM
That goal was pathetic, but as a wise man once said, "I'd rather be lucky than good."

Burningherb
12-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Was a rather rubbish game lol

Thought the England goal was well worked and well taken but after the first 10 mins the USA started to get into it and it started to come in to the game

Goal for USA was a shocker lol, that position for England is cursed lol

Thought that greens save later on in the game was fairly basic if not made a meal of it lol, if you see the reply from behind the striker his hands are in the wrong position and should have pushed it out round the post for a corner, was rather lucky it bounced off the post and never landed at an Americans feet or even off the back off green and into the net

Still think England should top the group but leaves the question does Fabio stick with green or ditch him and more or less end his international career????

Has been funny so far, the star players in each of the games have been really quiet (for their standards)

Still my money is on Spain to lift the cup and become the first European team to lift the cup outside Europe

eppertheleper
12-06-2010, 11:22 PM
I did see an interesting bit on ESPN before the game that reminded me of a longstanding argument that arises every four year or so.

What if the United States' best athletes played futbol?

If you were to rank sports by their level of importance to the U.S., I think it would look something like this:

1. Football (American)
2t. Basketball
2t. Baseball
4. NASCAR
5. Golf
6. MMA
7. Hockey
8t. Tennis
8t. Football (Soccer)

With the lack of a following and respect that the sport gets here, it is little surprise that our country's best athletes choose more lucrative and glamorous sports.

I know the skills don't translate directly, but what if Chris Paul, Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush, LeBron James, Rajon Rondo, Darelle Revis, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Chris Johnson, and Chad Ochocinco had been playing their entire lives. Meanwhile, Dwight Howard has been working on diving stops on goal with his 7'5" wingspan since he was four years old.

It's always fairly pointless to play the "what if" game, but as the U.S. team is more of a punchline than a contender, games like this are more fun to play than actually devoting emotional capital to the outcome of these matches.

Burningherb
12-06-2010, 11:39 PM
not sure how the press over there was talking bout it but the press here was talking about the game being a walk over and that it should be a fairly easy game

still go by my earlier prediction in the other topic and say that the USA could be the surprise team of the cup

eppertheleper
13-06-2010, 12:59 AM
That's how they were looking at it here, too. Alexi Lawlas aside, a 1-1 tie was the best chance I heard any announcers give the U.S.

Even with all the media push it's still the third story. Then again, I'm in the midwest and college football is imploding right now as at least three major conferences are re-aligning and one will probably die next week, so that's taken a bigger portion of the sports news hour. Here it's third behind the NBA finals and the college conference shakeup story.

I'd bet it's bigger on the coasts. Then again, the Pac-10 is part of this re-structuring so the West coast may be just as focused on the story as they are here. Slav, are you hearing more about the World Cup or the Pac-16 out there?

C.O.Prodigy
13-06-2010, 01:27 AM
who wins?

Your whole opening question became retarded because it was a draw. :)

The question was accidentally misleading as to the true result of the game.

Silly stuff.

he did make a nice save on the late altidore strike, though. that should have been a goal.

Not really his save, the ball hit him then hit the post, doubly whammy. Altidore surely wants that goal chance back.

C.O.Prodigy
13-06-2010, 02:03 AM
I did see an interesting bit on ESPN before the game that reminded me of a longstanding argument that arises every four year or so.

What if the United States' best athletes played futbol?

If you were to rank sports by their level of importance to the U.S., I think it would look something like this:

1. Football (American)
2t. Basketball
2t. Baseball
4. NASCAR
5. Golf
6. MMA
7. Hockey
8t. Tennis
8t. Football (Soccer)

It's always fairly pointless to play the "what if" game, but as the U.S. team is more of a punchline than a contender, games like this are more fun to play than actually devoting emotional capital to the outcome of these matches.

Number 8 is pretty good, tied no less. What was it's placement say 16 years ago or 6?

It's ahead of Swimming, Volleyball, tied with Tennis, WWE, Indy Car, I think 8 is doing just fine for Soccer.

I saw the US squad had fun while playing tonight and made a lucky against a crucial opponent, luck which they created for themselves (I would like to believe). Soccer moms all over are trowing surf party USA tonight.
Your countrymen are having a good time and succeeding, building their emotional capital and self esteem in the process.
I enjoyed watching them tonight.

England are under immense amount of pressure. Pressure brought on by the Beckham-era, and which I think is largely unfair to the players. 1-1 is not bad, but the tournament is just starting to roll and form is of the essence. Still would have liked to see Carlton Cole up front, even though Heskey was a pro.

SlavikSvensk
13-06-2010, 03:54 AM
not sure how the press over there was talking bout it but the press here was talking about the game being a walk over and that it should be a fairly easy game

still go by my earlier prediction in the other topic and say that the USA could be the surprise team of the cup

the press was saying that we had a chance, but that england had a better one. before the game began, alexi lalas said he thought we'd win, steve mcmanaman said he thought we'd lose and ruud gullet said he thought it would be a draw.

win for the dutchman, and...well, kind of a win for us :)

SlavikSvensk
13-06-2010, 03:56 AM
England are under immense amount of pressure. Pressure brought on by the Beckham-era, and which I think is largely unfair to the players. 1-1 is not bad, but the tournament is just starting to roll and form is of the essence. Still would have liked to see Carlton Cole up front, even though Heskey was a pro.

let's not forget that, every single tournament, england are expected to play under the weight of unrealistic expectations.

BloodStar
14-06-2010, 03:46 PM
i had a dream england will not do it out of group phase !

DannyBlack
14-06-2010, 04:39 PM
buggery. Fair play USA, ye did alright. Well, only because the goaly is actually made of baby oil.

SlavikSvensk
14-06-2010, 04:59 PM
everyone's playing under the same conditions. england had a huge advantage with the crowd and both teams had to deal with the ball and the pitch.

force
14-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Nope, it was totally unfair!
You had a decent goalkeeper

C.O.Prodigy
14-06-2010, 06:33 PM
In any event, the USA were celebrating that night.

YouTube - Hank Williams -- On Top of Old Smoky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGTCZJ-RBPw)

SlavikSvensk
14-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Nope, it was totally unfair!
You had a decent goalkeeper

:lol:

what the hell's the deal with english goalkeeepers anyways?

Jay Pace
14-06-2010, 06:56 PM
They don't understand the relationship between the ball, the net, and their responsibility to keep the two away from each other.

snooch
15-06-2010, 06:03 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f383/MrMentallo/lolercaust.jpg

xes
15-06-2010, 08:45 AM
England V USA in Lego.
World Cup 2010: Brick-by-brick fussball - England 1-1 USA | Video | Football | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2010/jun/14/world-cup-2010-england-usa-brick)

More here.
Legofussball.eu - Home (http://www.legofussball.eu/)

SlavikSvensk
15-06-2010, 03:00 PM
the fans need lego vuvuzelas

Insomnia
15-06-2010, 03:09 PM
I heard Spurs were putting in a fresh bid for Robert Green!

xes
15-06-2010, 04:10 PM
oi, we've just trained 1 calamity keeper, we've not got the time to have another!!

278d7e64a374de26f==