PDA

View Full Version : Blame Capello?

SlavikSvensk
19-06-2010, 06:14 PM
or england's players? or is it the immense pressure of unrealistic expectations that the media and fans burden english players with every single tournament?

this guardian article thinks capello's being scapegoated. i think that's true to a degree--england were not exactly good in the years between the last and this World Cup. but they were also much more efficient under Sven.

your thoughts?

World Cup 2010 paper view: England mess up. Blame the Italian | Football | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/19/world-cup-2010-paper-view)

PS: the poll is multiple choice, in case you think it's a combination of these factors

force
19-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Without getting too deep into it, first of all i just CANNOT understand why he didn't use Joe Cole last night as he always has the potential to do something outrageous and turn a game. He seems to be stubbornly refusing to play rooney as a lone striker, which is what Rooney excels at usually.
Playing Gerrard on the left, rather than centrally is ****in stupid and would be far more effective if Rooney was up front on his own with Gerrard in the hole behind the striker..
Im gonna stop now, because i'm feeling tense....

None of the players looked happy out there last night. over the top discipline from capello.

force
19-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Arse!

SlavikSvensk
19-06-2010, 09:34 PM
i feel like capello is trying to explode the media/fan pressure by doing things "his way." mclaren did that too, though, and it didn't really work.

however, i think that certain sides--england and spain in particular--have deep psychological problems stemming from the unrealistic expectations of fans and immense second-guessing pressure of the media. i applaud attempts to explode that, but not by making silly decisions.

i'd agree on starting joe cole, and think it's time to declare the hesky experiment a bust. i'm not a crouch guy, but i think you've got to start him next match, if for no other reason than to give the impression you're being flexible and looking for solutions.

DarkYoung
19-06-2010, 11:11 PM
capello needs to do what every other england manager has done before him.

and capitulate to media pressure.

he's made a real pigs ear of out of this situation, and Slovenia could easily dump england outof the world cup.

most of england squad are a bunch of celebrities, mollycoddled by english premier referees.

Capello never solved what has been puzzling people for 10 years now.

How do you play Gerrard and Lampard in the same team, somehow they just cancel each other out.

I think Defoe looks like he score a few goals put him on with Crouch , drop the spoilt baby Rooney. and that cumbersome oaf, Heskey. ffs.

Put Joe Cole on. Drop Lampard put Carrick on instead.

force
20-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Joe Cole seems to do the most damage when he's a supersub.
Come on with 25 mins left, try's something flash and often gets away with it against tired legs..

DarkYoung
20-06-2010, 02:12 AM
Joe Cole seems to do the most damage when he's a supersub.
Come on with 25 mins left, try's something flash and often gets away with it against tired legs..
word is, that capello fell out with joe cole when he d a tv interview just before the world cup saying that the capello would only pick the players with the best ofrm and fitness. he was fit and in form. yet he was dropped.

because he angered crapello.

another **** up by the FA employed has been italian coach playing the 1980s long game still. garbage.

blistanbul
20-06-2010, 05:22 AM
''immense media pressure''

laugh out loud, how long have we been hearing this?

Burningherb
20-06-2010, 10:59 AM
i would blame the players, F.A, and the unrealistic pressure that the fans are putting on the players

this is more or less the same squad that got them through the qualifiers easy, and yet on the big stage they seem to flop

i was watchin 'your on sky sports' just before the season ended and the so called pundits were saying that without Rooney they have no chance, to me that sounds very unfair putting that amount of pressure on just 1 guy

cant understand why Joe Cole aint playing either, and the whole Heskey situation has back fired on Fabio, other than Defoe there is nobody that can come on and create a problem for defenders cause soon as Crouch comes on they have almost give up on playing football and only go for the long ball, which i think Slovenia will have no problems dealing with.

USA and Slovenia to qualify

blistanbul
20-06-2010, 03:07 PM
mate, don't you think, germany, brazil, italy, and other teams have 'pressure'? nothing against you but this is just a lame excuse for the english sides who have vastly underperformed world cup after world cup.

C.O.Prodigy
20-06-2010, 04:58 PM
mate, don't you think, germany, brazil, italy, and other teams have 'pressure'? nothing against you but this is just a lame excuse for the english sides who have vastly underperformed world cup after world cup.

Glenn Hoddle did a great job, they were unlucky that year. Unlucky, plus Hoddle couldn't control Becks kicking Simeone in front of the referee. Why is Beckham on the bench now? They should have won that game with Owen in full form.

http://img.moronail.net/img/1/5/5815.jpg

Yes, those teams you mentioned, alongside spain, have pressure, but it's unnecessary and counter productive.
The media is doing those teams no favors. Why?

SlavikSvensk
20-06-2010, 05:35 PM
immense media pressure:

a team that has not won a major tournament since 1966 is built up by its media and fans as the favorite to win every 2 years. when it becomes evident that the team won't win it all, the team is called "disappointing," "an embarrassment," etc. and both the coach and players are, predictably, put through the ringer.

a similar thing happens in spain. no surprise, then, that these are the two international sides with evident psychological problems.

this is a pretty basic observation of international football.

Izz
20-06-2010, 05:52 PM
immense media pressure:

a team that has not won a major tournament since 1966 is built up by its media and fans as the favorite to win every 2 years. when it becomes evident that the team won't win it all, the team is called "disappointing," "an embarrassment," etc. and both the coach and players are, predictably, put through the ringer.

a similar thing happens in spain. no surprise, then, that these are the two international sides with evident psychological problems.

this is a pretty basic observation of international football.

Yep. The UK media especially the tabloids love to build it up to fever pitch then when we underperform (as is expected by the country excluding the media) they love to decimate them.

Even when the groups were drawn John Motson was wanking on about who we could meet in the semi's ffs.
Trolls the lot of em :angry:

SlavikSvensk
20-06-2010, 05:58 PM
:lol: trolls indeed

i remember back when i used to read NME and melody maker regularly (early to mid 90s), they did the same thing to bands.

Numeric
21-06-2010, 09:14 AM
the blame clearly lies with the players

basslinejunkie
21-06-2010, 10:24 AM
yep. they are a disgrace.

C.O.Prodigy
21-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Why pay them so much money then?

I reckon the players are of a high quality but just because they run onto the pitch doesn't make them a team. That's Capello's job.

Since the WC isn't over yet, I think the players and the squad could use all the support they can get before the last game. But that doesn't sell the papers.

I would have liked to have seen Ashley Young and Carlton Cole in this squad along with Joe Cole. Also I think DY has a point, Gerrard and Lampard could be canceling each other out.

Again saying all this, the England defense has been looking sharp and solid, except for Green's mistake.

xes
21-06-2010, 07:26 PM
They are a shower of cunts. The players and capello. Blame them all. Then lynch'em :grr:

:lol:

SlavikSvensk
21-06-2010, 07:40 PM
i don't think england's players are on the level of brazil's or spain's, but they are better than they're playing.

Will
29-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I think the blame ultimately lies with Capello, he picked the players, gave the team talks and decided on the tactics, and let's not forget he's had 2 years to get his English up to standard and it's still pretty bad, which can't have helped.

Rooney holds the honour of being the player most dispossed at the World Cup, yet I beleive he played every minute - this just about sums Capello up.

SlavikSvensk
29-06-2010, 06:37 PM
well, the manager ultimately does have to take responsibility. but...there's two problems with laying the blame on him.

first, was it really better before he took over? no, it was worse. mclaren took a consistent quarterfinalist team and didn't manage qualify for euro2006. capello took that and made it to the round of 16. not exactly a brilliant result, but an improvement.

second, players like rooney, terry, etc. simply weren't running to the ball. perhaps that was because of an inferior fitness level or bad psychology or something, but at the end of the day, they were the ones who failed to run to the ball. they have to share in the blame for that.

personally, i think england needs to look to the younger generation, the way germany, holland and spain have done in recent years.

Jay Pace
29-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Players don't play together as a team, too individualistic and probably too worried about injuries, and the prospect of losing their deodorant and shampoo sponsorship contracts. World cup offers more risk than reward for people who earn mega-bucks in their day job.

Capello was weak and should have been able to get more out of them though.

SlavikSvensk
29-06-2010, 07:19 PM
i also have to wonder if rooney is injured. i mean, the guy is pretty fast, and he wasn't getting separation on anyone.

278d7e64a374de26f==