PDA

View Full Version : Syncing TR909 to vinyl..

hooodlum
26-06-2010, 03:28 PM
How did Jeff and Hawtin do it back in the day?

benji303
26-06-2010, 08:54 PM
hahahahah god knows good question

BranLanen
27-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Jeff actually sync decks with 909, even if is the TR what enter in the mix when decks are playing he put hands on deck to sync it, and maybe he approaches the TR with the tempo knob.
It's possible to sync TR using the tempo knob, I also know people who use the pitch to syncing when are mixing only with decks, moving pitch control up & down instead push the plate to speed it up or touching it for braking...

hooodlum
27-06-2010, 02:00 PM
what the hell?

i wouldve thought at least richie wouldve used some technology to help him.. redsound do a thing called the micro bpm that is essentially a bpm counter with a midi out on the front..

that and a kenton din/midi sync converter would do th job surely?

BranLanen
27-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Sorry, I don't know how Richie does it...
But I think it's no needed technology to sync if you want, and maybe most of BPM counters couldn't be able of syncing some music, specially if we are talking about Jeff Mills music or some old stuff from Plastikman.
We can always trust in human hears! :P

eppertheleper
05-08-2010, 02:39 PM
That knob on the left :)

I'm sure there's a way to do it using midi, but you're in complete control of the drum loops so why not just beat match like normal using the tempo knob? You should already be fairly aware of the BPM when you get there, no? I've done it in the past.

The real problem comes with dropping in. It's difficult to get the loop starting points to match up. It's essentially the same as only being able to beat match using the pitch slider and the On/Off button, but not being allowed to touch the vinyl, pin, or platter. With a little practice, you'll get used to the slight delay and you can drop it pretty close to where you want it to go, then just tweak it till you're matched and off you go. Be sure to keep one finger on that tempo knob, though. The 909 can't do 145.5 BPM, so it will slip if your record is sitting on a middle decimal.

That's the cheap route, anyway. If you want to get beat counters, then some sort of midi device that turns your 909 into a tempo slave of said counters, then good luck! That's the only way I could see it working, but I'm sure it's possible.Get to your local synth store and ask the nerd on call if he can help you out.

Electrictribe
06-08-2010, 12:03 PM
well i think the easiest option is to leave the tempo knob on909 and adjust pitch on decks same as you would djing

Jack Black
07-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Tempo knob on the 909 to get it as close as possible, slam it into the mix and then pitch back on the deck to match

JamieBall
28-01-2011, 11:40 AM
what the hell?

i wouldve thought at least richie wouldve used some technology to help him.. redsound do a thing called the micro bpm that is essentially a bpm counter with a midi out on the front..

that and a kenton din/midi sync converter would do th job surely?

Why is it so impossible to presume that someone whose job it is to perform music wouldn't be able to perform a really basic task ?

I can't believe this thread exists lol ;-)

qUE
28-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Yeah this thread is quite odd, I've been beat mixing with decks and MIDI gear for years. I suppose it's a sign of the times of lazyness to learn beatmixing.

Saying that, both of my systems do sync everything up, but it's really needed considering one system has 256 tracks MIDI with level mixing and the other 16 looped DSP tracks w/ pitch, assignment, etc. and ~32 effects at once. It's real-time sequencing, it'd just fall apart if you didn't have it.

But if I'm mixing from either of those systems to eachother(atm) or deck, I'd have to do beatmixing, which is fine tbh. Beauty of decks is the hands on adjusting with touch, beats everything else hands down for mixing set tunes :)

278d7e64a374de26f==