PDA

View Full Version : USA bow out with quiet dignity....

Jay Pace
28-06-2010, 03:50 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4742548644_43dcf8605f.jpg

:lol:

SlavikSvensk
28-06-2010, 05:33 PM
murdoch tabloid rag in lowest-common-denomenator shocker.

on a serious note, i really hope people don't lose interest now that the US is out. some will, but it feels as if soccer is on the cusp of breaking out of second-rate sport status here, something long-suffering fans have been yearning for for decades.

Jay Pace
28-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Just a silly headline dude... made me laugh.

Thought USA had a pretty good world cup, be great if the sport picked up a bit more. If it could get the public interested, the sponsors would follow, and that would tempt in the talent chasing the money and the glory. USA could be a formidable if football started getting on the radar more. But I guess its just so different from american sports in general that it must feel like a weird sport to get excited about. Not like you haven't got enough home grown games to get stuck into.

force
28-06-2010, 05:53 PM
The irony here is that News Corp make a big chunk of their profits from the broadcast rights to the Prem and most other European leagues.

SlavikSvensk
28-06-2010, 05:57 PM
i don't think it's all that different from basketball or hockey. lower scores, but the principles are similar.

personally, i think the problem is, as you say, that there are a lot of other sports already established. the fact that, until recently, there were no professional teams or systems in place meant soccer has been viewed as a sport you play as a kid, but don't really pursue seriously. the MLS has changed that, but more in some areas than others. LA has two MLS teams and they both sell out regularly. that's progress, especially since southern California is one of the places that produces the most professional atheletes, but you're not getting the same thing in other key areas like Florida, Texas or Ohio.

it IS getting better though. we're getting every single game on ABC or ESPN. 8 years ago more than half the games were only available on pay-per-view, and when i was a kid you'd only get US games and the final on TV. ratings are, apparently, higher than ever. when big european club teams come here for promotional friendlies, they typically sell out months in advance. that means it is gaining acceptance...

DannyBlack
28-06-2010, 07:26 PM
The Sport is the sport of girly men. It really is shite to the Nth degree. They are over paid actors. I really hope that it doesn't get that big over there for your sakes. The world cup is good fun, but apart from that, it is dogshit.

278d7e64a374de26f==