PDA

View Full Version : Schweinsteiger calls out Argentina

SlavikSvensk
30-06-2010, 05:17 PM
pretty harsh words. is he right or wrong?

The midfielder believes Argentina's players set out to unsettle opposing teams and influence match officials.

He said: "It starts before the match. You see how they gesticulate, how they try to influence the referee.

"That is not part of the game. That is a lack of respect. They are like that. We should not be provoked by them."
There was also a heated exchange between the Argentina and Mexico benches at half-time in their second-round match on Sunday, after the South American team's first goal was allowed to stand despite a clear offside.

"This behaviour shows their character and mentality," added Schweinsteiger.

"I hope the referee will pick up the feeling of who is provoking whom. We saw that again in their match against Mexico."

BBC Sport - Football - Schweinsteiger wary of Argentina (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8776932.stm)

Jay Pace
30-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Argentinians gesticulate?

Jesus wept.

Grow some testicles.

SlavikSvensk
30-06-2010, 05:29 PM
they do have a tendency to play dirty, but i think mr. schweinsteiger is engaging in some psychological warfare of his own.

if the refs expect diving, they'll be less likely to call penalties. that works for me, of course, as i prefer a slightly rougher game to the more theatrical variant. but it's still a strategy...

Jay Pace
30-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Mexico had 25 fouls, vs 10 for Argentina. They played a dirty game, hacked at Messi throughout and at one point (slightly hilariously) shoved an argentine player pushing him to the ground as he went to take a throw in.

Should have really been a red card, was a stupid petulant thing to do. Mexico got away with murder, they played a dirty game and lost. No sympathy that the offside goal was allowed, had the ref been on the ball half the mexican team would have been sent off.

SlavikSvensk
30-06-2010, 08:04 PM
well mexico play REALLY dirty. this might not be so apparent to those who only see them every four years, but they are a rough bunch, especially when playing at home.

argentina's tendency towards dirtiness is more diving and such than hacking fouls.

but again, i think schweinsteiger is trying to influence the officiating with these comments.

278d7e64a374de26f==