PDA

View Full Version : Headphones for Producing

bayley
13-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Hi all. i am hoping someone on here can help me. i have recently bought a house with my Mrs, and although its beautiful, it has forced me to use my Sony MDR V700s for monitoring (especially at night) due to neighbors being far closer than my previous gaff.

Although i dont find this to be an issue, as i can mix on the Genelecs during the day! the issue i do have though is the discomfort caused by using the headphones. its not a matter of excess volume, because i am sensible (ish) with the volume whilst using them.. and having done volume experiments, ive come to the conclusion that the cans are not deep enough, and rest directly on the ear causing the discomfort!

Does anyone else have this mins problem, and more importantly, can anyone recommend a decent set of cans that arent gonna make my ears implode if used for longer than 20 minutes of production. and preferably that wont cripple my wallet. i can spend £100 - £150.

any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

morbid
14-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Id look at...

ATH M50's

or Beyer 770's

or a lot of AKG in your price range (K271/K272) but I havent personaly used them

The ATH are comfortable and reproduce sound in a fairly neutral way but loads of people rave about Beyer phones.

Jay Pace
14-07-2010, 03:03 PM
I picked up sennheiser hd600 for about 160
Took a bit of hunting to get that price, but they are utterly stunning.

eppertheleper
14-07-2010, 03:59 PM
I have Beyer 770s and I can go five or six hours without taking them off and not have discomfort beyond slightly warmer ears. They're plush. Just make sure you get the 80 ohm version or you'll need to drop a lot more for a headphone amp.

http://rockshop.de/ebay_shop/images/02_artikel/1018384_01.jpg

icelizarrd
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
The Equation RP-21s can be worn for quite a long time comfortably. Some people complain that the bass is a little too loud as far as mixing goes, but most people seem to love them.

I would still love them too if only the right ear on my hadn't stopped working. :(

josephjobling
17-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Check out Grado 325i i use them and love them to its - can wear them for hours and hours - great sound quality too. bit pricey though.

tekara
25-08-2010, 09:28 PM
The AKG K271s are very accurate, but my only issue with them is that they're too quiet and I find myself having to crank up the volume on the audio interface to hear better.

Elvio Neto
20-09-2010, 09:24 PM
i have some old ATM-M40fs and i never listen nothing sounding so good , they are very comfortable too

RDR
30-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Dont go for the 770s.. closed cup means an extended bass response which although sounds like the best really isnt. Go for the 990 pros, the HD700 and 600 range are amazing too. Open back gives a better approximation of monitoring, but you should really be using headphones only for checking the sound rather than relying on the final mix. Closed cup headphones are often used in recording situations to isolate a player and prevent foldback or click track leakage.

peace out.

RDR
30-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Check out Grado 325i i use them and love them to its - can wear them for hours and hours - great sound quality too. bit pricey though.

Some of those grados are silly silly money - minted heaphones tho!

gurrier
18-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I had the exact same issue as yourself and was also using the sony cans, I treated myself to a pair of beyerdynamic dt880pro's for christmas and find them very nice indeed, they are extremely comfortable and give a very true spectrum of sound in my opinion

278d7e64a374de26f==