PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Fan+Heatsink

EmotionComplex
12-02-2004, 11:36 PM
right im about to resurect one of my pcs, just got a new fan (coolermaster silence) and heat sink for it but im wondering about the heat paste stuff your suppose to stick on the bottom before your place the new heatsink on. Can i get away with none or will my pc melt (its an athlon 1700). its got a small square of powdery stuff on the bottom of the heatsink but im guessing that is the main part for the center of the processor.

i dont mind going to get the paste for it but im just curious as wether i need it or not

Barely Human
13-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Yes! You need the paste! It is made so the heatsink makes full contact with the cpu, BUT!!!...... Make sure you know what your doing with it! You only need the tinyest amount spread evenly over the top of the heatsink. And i mean tiny, so that when it is spread it is only a couple of microns thick.

EmotionComplex
13-02-2004, 12:35 AM
cool cheers mate

dan the acid man
13-02-2004, 01:44 PM
arctic silver is very good, thats what i use, rub a bit on the heatsink as theres little cuts usually on them, then wipe all the excess off it so it just stays in the little cuts, then put a tiny amount on the dye of the processor and make it a thin even layer, it doesnt hurt to have a little bit more in the middle though, have a look on the web if your unsure there should be some tips on there, also make sure you remove any of the paste that is on the heatsink when you bought it if your using any other paste.
to be honest though alot of the paste that comes on heatsinks nowadays is quite good.

EmotionComplex
13-02-2004, 01:53 PM
arctic silver is very good, thats what i use, rub a bit on the heatsink as theres little cuts usually on them, then wipe all the excess off it so it just stays in the little cuts, then put a tiny amount on the dye of the processor and make it a thin even layer, it doesnt hurt to have a little bit more in the middle though, have a look on the web if your unsure there should be some tips on there, also make sure you remove any of the paste that is on the heatsink when you bought it if your using any other paste.
to be honest though alot of the paste that comes on heatsinks nowadays is quite good.

cool cheers guys, helpful info there :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==