PDA

View Full Version : ooooooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy

Izz
17-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Gonna stick my neck out and post something :z

Simple track ive been messing about with. Gonna share for some friendly critique and advice. No point hoarding all my ideas with only myself as a critic :)

Fire away chaps, be gentle

http://soundcloud.com/izz/izz-enemy/download

morbid
18-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Izz

"Nice track mate"

(In reference to the other thread on here)

Seriously though. this has a nice old dark feel to it, reminds me of old labworks stuff, theres enough weight to the bottom end of the track that it stands on its own as it is but for me personally there isnt enough variation in the top end (hats, snare, percussion in general)

Maybe look again at the percussion side of things and introduce some new elements every 16 bars or so, just a little something to spice it up (like what comes in @ 2.45 but work on a few different patterns) though as I said I think the lower end of the track is spot on and has that nasty aggressive late 90's vibe your going for

Some well thought out sounds used here

Cheers

Izz
18-07-2010, 04:35 PM
hey, thanks for the look.

Yeah a pal of mine said pretty much the same about the perc and tbh it's something I seem to struggle with. Getting it to flow and give it an energy boost. Practice makes perfect :)

As an utter noob at this I was pleased I'd got as far as I did but wasn't happy with it.
I'll keep at it!

Thanks again!

DannyBlack
18-07-2010, 05:31 PM
EASY MUCKA! Nice track mate.... damnit Morbid got there before me :-)

Good Idea for a track. As Morbid says you've got some stuff on the bottom so what you need now a little something in the middle and up top.

Am I right in saying you have a tom with delay lurking down around the kick? or is a delayed kick?

Is sounds a wee bit hollow perhaps so what I would be aiming for personally would be to layer the kick with a subby one and EQ them in together. What I'm doing at the moment with my kick to get beef from the arse end is using 2 kicks and sub- melting them together and the end result is chub.

(Yeah I know, after this amount of time you'd think I'd learn the tech lingo :lol:)

The shuffle you have at the moment is working really well so I would bring something to compliment that. I'm working on the assumption that you are using a shaker for that little shuffle? So what I would do is build on that with say for example a clap on every second beat with a really pronounced tik tik tik tik metalic sounding closed hat. From that point it's just a case of messing around with some open hats.

So far mate, you've got a good base- keep at it and don't get distracted.

morbid
18-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah a pal of mine said pretty much the same about the perc and tbh it's something I seem to struggle with.

Im the opposite mate - really struggle with putting together realistic basslines. I probably spend more time on this than anything else just cos Im never happy with the results I get. I prefer simple bass notes than bass lines as they have the length and depth that Im after

Take what I said with a pinch of salt anyway as Im in Spain on the laptop with shitty Technics headphones and a couple of bottles of Rioja down

I like the overall feel of the track though, if there was more going on up top it would be killer

Izz
18-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Am I right in saying you have a tom with delay lurking down around the kick? or is a delayed kick?

Is sounds a wee bit hollow perhaps so what I would be aiming for personally would be to layer the kick with a subby one and EQ them in together. What I'm doing at the moment with my kick to get beef from the arse end is using 2 kicks and sub- melting them together and the end result is chub.

Alreet danny, thanks for the feedback!

Yeah its just a few scattered toms just off the 1st and 3rd kicks to try and add a bit of tension (i think!). The kicks are one barely tampered with and another with a low pass. Does sound a bit flat after listening again just now. Will give your a tip a whirl bud :)

Cheers!

278d7e64a374de26f==