PDA

View Full Version : Monitors Sideways

EmotionComplex
13-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Im curious as i have a pair of alesis m1's , ive seen them placed on there side in a couple of studios now, are there any benefits of doing this?

audioinjection
13-02-2004, 04:09 PM
I've heard its not good to do it that way

Stuart
13-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Its not a good thing to have monitors on their sides coz it alters the sound perception

mindgame
13-02-2004, 05:21 PM
i beleive i was told different in school - i thought it was the monitors sideways will keep the highs and lows at the same ear level..bu ti think you want to have the bass on the insid, if the tweeters were on the inside they would get muffled out by the bass as they are trying to cut through it -
i was actually thinking about this last night and wanted to find out for sure..

Stuart
13-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Bass is non directional so it doesn't matter. Most systems are set so the mids are at ear level.

DJZeMig_L
13-02-2004, 08:08 PM
these were built 2 b placed mostly sideways... mind U the tweeter must b on the outside... (unlike most speakers... it a built thing).. it has 2 do with the on-axis listening of the mid-highs, as like mentioned the bass freq. r omnidirectional!

Z

EmotionComplex
14-02-2004, 07:00 AM
ok ive had them placed horizontally for a few hours now, listened to a couple of commercialy released cds through them and worked on a track i have started, the stereo sound seems to be more detailed now, like when i was working before there was left right and center and anything panning seemed to move quickly between the 3 but now there seems to be a whole zone that wasnt there before, things blend from side to side like ive opened up more space to work with.

MARKEG
14-02-2004, 07:03 AM
i had the m1's up until a month ago and i think that it realy doesnt' matter. it's the shape of your room that is the most important.

EmotionComplex
14-02-2004, 07:07 AM
i had the m1's up until a month ago and i think that it realy doesnt' matter. it's the shape of your room that is the most important.

hmm, since ive alterd there position they do sound better to me but i suppose ill have to give it a few days incase my minds just making me think they do because ive changed them, ill have to mix something down with them and see whats what.

DJZeMig_L
14-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Sorry 2 disagree but if u read thru the manual of the M1 MK2 Actives, u'll find that there is alittle subject explaining that particularlly with this model they sound b placed sideways with tweeters out... spacial bcomes much better.

Room placement is ALWAYS important!!

Z

duncandisorderly
14-02-2004, 01:10 PM
according to the manual that comes with the alesis m1 mkii's you can mount them either way as long as the tweeters are on the inside of the triangle formed by you and the speakers due to the tops sounding off if they are on the outside of the triangle.

DJZeMig_L
14-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Right so sorry :oops:

Z

The Divide
15-02-2004, 12:50 AM
I do think there is a tiny advantage placing them sideways, I am running the M1 Mk2's this way. Even tho you say bass is non directional the futher away from ear level or the level of the tweeter, you put the bass speaker the more stranger it would get?? Its possition within the room, and distance from the tweeter that affects it. I dont know, it just seems a bit more logical to place your monitors sideways if you can

Basil Rush
15-02-2004, 09:50 PM
for best stereo imaging i think the tweeter and bass cone should be in a vertical line. that's the best advice i've come across anyway, if you had them horizontally you'd have to have them pointing directly towards you otherwise the top and the bottom's going to arrive slightly out of phase which probably won't be very helpful either.

a lot of speakers look cute on their side though :)

DJZeMig_L
16-02-2004, 12:00 AM
U r right BUT also depends how high u sit ... I my case if they stand Up the tweeters r 2 high! :(

Z

Basil Rush
16-02-2004, 05:07 PM
ditch your stands and get some breeze blocks. cheaper and more flexible ... bit messy to get installed but they rule as stands.

massplanck
16-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Its as logical for engineers to mix on speakers placed sideways as it is for graphicdesigners to draw pictures on a monitor placed sideways.

DJZeMig_L
16-02-2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks basil but I still wan't 2 retain some form of social life, which is not that easy when U got yer studio on yer living room! ;)

Z

Basil Rush
17-02-2004, 09:46 PM
they look quite cool and you can balance drinks on 'em :)

DJZeMig_L
18-02-2004, 12:21 AM
U bast*rd :P

not much of a boozer :P

any links 2 where I can Check/ buy some of those??

Do U know if yer friends at KMRaudio could have/ sell me a UAD-1 for a good price (visa payment) .. sorry 4 the off-topic... but I've been drouling over one of these 4 a long time!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==