PDA

View Full Version : looking for equipment

hiroprotagonist
14-02-2004, 05:55 AM
hey i just joined this board a few days ago. i live in california right now and am moving to london in a month. ive already sold my desktop and am getting myself a capable notebook for the trip.
now that i have a computer im looking for gear. i started out with a roland mc505 4-5 years ago and still have that. yes i know. its definetly been a good friend to me in teaching me how much i DONT have sound wise, but hey it got me some attention recording more melodic sounding projects.
i also have an xbass 09 and i owe that all to my obsession with arkus p and my girl (who bought it for me). great machine but without the right techno sounds it falls short for me unless im doing something more minimal.
so now im in the market to start purchasing some better sound makers :) what would you reccomend? im still in the dark as to how some pieces of gear make some sounds but just give me your suggestions im really interested in what other people use and why.

maybe ill post something on the board sometime when i get my laptop.

-hiro

MARKEG
14-02-2004, 07:01 AM
i'd say computer software is the way to learn at the mo. it's cheap and it's easy.

then decide what you need after you've learnt the basics.

reason is probably the best prog for you right now.

DJZeMig_L
14-02-2004, 10:49 AM
I'll go with Mark but many of us r still compulsive Knobs twisters! :P

Virus C
Drumstation
MicroKorg
just 2 name a few!!

Z

dan the acid man
14-02-2004, 01:15 PM
the clavia nord range is good too

hiroprotagonist
14-02-2004, 10:37 PM
i cant handle softwatre synths. i know eventually im going to teach myself but ive had bad experiences with them. i took a class for reason a year ago at a junior college and it totally killed my buzz for software. im a knob twister i need to have tactile feedback to what im doing.
thanks for the tips. :)

-hiro

massplanck
16-02-2004, 05:16 PM
I'll go with Mark but many of us r still compulsive Knobs twisters! :P

Virus C
Drumstation
MicroKorg
just 2 name a few!!

Z

The YAMAHA RS7000. My personal workhorse. yee haa

Basil Rush
16-02-2004, 05:23 PM
You could probably make us an offer for a Supernova if you wanted ....

g
16-02-2004, 07:17 PM
the yamaha suggestion would be a good all around piece. if you're for some reason unhappy with the xbase (which from a polyphony perspective, i understand) and you want a dedicated drum source look at a drumstation. but i'd also echo the software argument and instead tell you to look at battery... get one of those akai 16 pad midi drum controller things if the tactileness is a big issue for you, or a x0x style sequencer to midi up to your software for drum programming. you could probably use the mc505 for this.

hardware synths you might want to look at the Virus line. waldorf makes great stuff as well; you could get a huge amount of mileage out of a Q (which also includes some very nice drum maps). a Q rack could keep you busy for a long time.

worst case, just ask YT for her opinion.

278d7e64a374de26f==