PDA

View Full Version : Frank Lorber

teknorich
09-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Anyone know what he's playing nowadays? Just saw he's on a lineup for Liverpool soon, but I don;t wanna turn up and find he's gone all trendy funky minimal... :ruretard:

Surgeon is also on the lineup, but he was very disappointing last time I saw him - really slow, monotone, minimal loops that went nowhere. Saw some really puzzled faces on the dancefloor, he he! I'd like to go give it a chance, but if I knew I was gonna enjoy Lorber I'd be more up for it, in case Surgeon plays a repeat of last time!

qUE
10-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Agreed on Surgeon, but I don't ever remember nearly the same amount of hype surrounding him now than back in days of magneze, so he must be either appealing to the general populous or have a shit hot marketing team.

As for Frank Lorber, I've never heard of him personally, but looks like he's joined the cocoon parade, so at a guess it's going to be minimal. Best bet is to search "Frank Lorber 2010" for mixes and he's got a myspace page which the music on there would generally be a good guide to what he is up to now.

At least there is still some proper Techno nights still going on, just in my case they're miles away, and I can't get my zimmerframe up the stairs :(

teknorich
10-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Yeah, it's the same round here tbh. Liverpool used to have a few Techno clubs, but all we got now is a whole glut of minimal nights. The best Techno night in the last few years was just a small residents club, (Rehab) but the venue they used closed and I've not heard anything about it since.

In the last couple of years it always seems to be Surgeon or Rob Hood who play Liverpool and literally nobody else. It's been really quiet recently, then in Sept we have Surgeon playing, and in Oct... Rob Hood! Yeah, okay, they could be good, but it gets a bit boring/predictable when it's the same couple of artists time and again.

Where you based anyways, Que?

basslinejunkie
10-08-2010, 03:49 PM
i saw surgeon boxing day in liverpool and to this day its still the best set ive ever expirenced in my life.

i think the thing with him is he has alot of variety, which personally i think is great, you never hear the same set twice. others however mit not like it as its not consistent boom boom boom.

personally id say if you like techno you cant fail to like surgeon.but different strokes for different folks.

qUE
10-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Yeah, it's the same round here tbh. Liverpool used to have a few Techno clubs, but all we got now is a whole glut of minimal nights. The best Techno night in the last few years was just a small residents club, (Rehab) but the venue they used closed and I've not heard anything about it since.

In the last couple of years it always seems to be Surgeon or Rob Hood who play Liverpool and literally nobody else. It's been really quiet recently, then in Sept we have Surgeon playing, and in Oct... Rob Hood! Yeah, okay, they could be good, but it gets a bit boring/predictable when it's the same couple of artists time and again.

Where you based anyways, Que?

Based in Bristol down in the West Country. I used to run a Techno clubnight with some mates here back in early 2000. But money constraints, time, lack of other people with free time and the clubs dieing out has made it very difficult to do anything. Although I've finally got my own speakers and amp, which irradicates the blight of hiring lazy arse PA people, so maybe getting starting to get towards having chance to do Techno again :)

Last thing I went to which was absolutely blinding was Tilted Disco with Robert Armani in London. Since then everything is just pretty bland. Nothing really going for it and just bumbling along, not really my cup of tea. But then again I'm also bit picky about things which start relentless and end relentless, I think a good Techno night needs a decent progression with all good music, never going flat.

teknorich
10-08-2010, 07:31 PM
i saw surgeon boxing day in liverpool and to this day its still the best set ive ever expirenced in my life.

i think the thing with him is he has alot of variety, which personally i think is great, you never hear the same set twice. others however mit not like it as its not consistent boom boom boom.

personally id say if you like techno you cant fail to like surgeon.but different strokes for different folks.

I was at the boxing night one mate, and it was class, but that was a good few years ago now (2006) and the last time I saw him @ Aztec in the Carling Academy he was weak. Really just uninteresting plodding along, no real progression during the set, no peaks or troughs, just the same monotone minimal loops over and over again... I heard that he played in M'chester later that night and banged it out in good old Surgeon style, which is exaclty what we had all gone along to see in Liverpool! He was on quite early in Aztec, so maybe he took it as a chance to road test some slower stuff, but it really had none of the Surgeon style or feel to it. It's not just that it wasn't as fast, it was dull. I can handle slower techno, and it doesn't have to be just boom boom, but it has to have a vibe and something to grab you. That set really didn't!

I'd LOVE to see him play like he did on boxing night (warping The Bells into Jingle bells?!) but that was a while ago now and I'm just not sure he plays that kind of Techno any more.

For anyone who wasn;t there that boxing night:

YouTube - ‪Surgeon @ Alcatraz/Aztec Boxing Day 2006‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unSrLgoWq8E)

:rubiggrin:

teknorich
10-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Based in Bristol down in the West Country. I used to run a Techno clubnight with some mates here back in early 2000. But money constraints, time, lack of other people with free time and the clubs dieing out has made it very difficult to do anything. Although I've finally got my own speakers and amp, which irradicates the blight of hiring lazy arse PA people, so maybe getting starting to get towards having chance to do Techno again :)

Last thing I went to which was absolutely blinding was Tilted Disco with Robert Armani in London. Since then everything is just pretty bland. Nothing really going for it and just bumbling along, not really my cup of tea. But then again I'm also bit picky about things which start relentless and end relentless, I think a good Techno night needs a decent progression with all good music, never going flat.

Definitely agree about the progression thru a night. I like a club to start off with the faster end of minimal, and just build as time passes, slowly getting harder, faster and more Techno. If the DJ is banging it out from the minute you hang your jacket in the cloakroom, you don;t have time to warm up or get into the feeling of the night!

Tbh, in recent years a lot of the better clubs and parties I've been to have just been local lads and residents playing. You won;t see any big names, but depening on the crew you can find music which suits you much more than what the main clubs in your town are playing, so why not? If you've got your own PA system etc then it's so much easier, so fair play to ya!

278d7e64a374de26f==