PDA

View Full Version : what frueqs do you lose pressing to vinyl

mindgame
15-02-2004, 11:47 PM
just a few questions
iw as reading the subbass thread below and made me think -
i know the human ear can only hear basicly between 20-20
but what does vinyl allow - anything?

is there anything i should be careful at when writing a track as you can write it one way and then have it mastered to fit vinyl and have it turnout to be very different -

any specific freq cut offs one should be aware of?

is it true that if you have bass that is too heavy pressed to vinyl it can actually make the needle jump??i read this somewhere but wasent sure -

does it also make a difference on the type of vinyl you are going to press on and how deep the grooves are cut (based on how much music your trying to squeeze on a record -

is there also a reccomended amount of music or time you suggest you dont go over per side of the record? i heard when you squeeze more on, oyu have to use thinner and not as deep grooves which can make less stability and i would also guess faster wear and tear -

thnx j-

DJZeMig_L
16-02-2004, 12:06 AM
M8,

I guess most of us r going a bit overboard with this technic thing... Go to the studio make music and good as u can, later the technician U comes in and fixed the biggest probs.... most work should b donne with a good mix not the mastering, mastering is a more of a polish and not so much of a correct all things wrong stage!!

go with what u ears tell ya feels right and make's ya shake yer leg! ;)

Z

mindgame
16-02-2004, 03:00 AM
nuttin wrong with going over board with technic - leads to progression and style -

i guess i was asking ahead of time because i like to work with and edit alot of my own samples (not jsut take them out of the box) but i thought that maybe there should be some things i should be looking at as i will be turning these sounds upside down and inside out to make them interesting - but at the same time i dident want to lose or add freqs that arent going to be heard(if that is the case) and then have the mix change overall after it was mastered for vinyl..i was actually looking for this info so little as possible needs to be done in the mastering stage -
i jsut thought you lost or were restricted to certain freqs when it came down to vinyl specificly -

but i like this board for the overboard advise - i liek seeing more then fruity loops and sample discs..so please go overboard :notworthy:

DJZeMig_L
16-02-2004, 07:33 PM
OKie, sorry 4 the unnecessary preaching, but I think we sometimes need 2 work so much more on the "musical" contents then on the technical side, with time most of us become a bit to technical, so we must struggle not 2 loose sight of the main thing!

I guess I'd eq. each sample with LPF and HPF earing on a very detailed monitor or even confirming on the headphones, taking out as much as possible but without altering it!! On a musical context, against other sounds u could maybe take out a little bit more....

Remove DC and Normalise (Peak to -1db)...

Think that's about it!

Z

mindgame
17-02-2004, 09:23 AM
thnx :)

Barely Human
17-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Remove DC and Normalise (Peak to -1db)...

Z

On that note, what is DC offset?

Basil Rush
17-02-2004, 09:49 PM
It's when everything isn't moving around the 0 mark, if you played it though a hard core hi-fi purest amp the speaker cones would be instantly pushed in or out a bit and it'd vibrate around that point rather than around their natural point of rest.

usually obvious in audio files as the wave form is shifted up or down a bit ... most software has a remove dc offset function. to be honest unless you are recording something messed up you shouldn't see a dc offset very often although you can create them with some messed up plugin's and they are best removed.

in reality you get decreased headroom from having stuff with offsets in ... dunno if it affects quality much more than that although it'd be a shocker to see it on a mastered cd.

tioneb
17-02-2004, 10:29 PM
M8,

I guess most of us r going a bit overboard with this technic thing... Go to the studio make music and good as u can, later the technician U comes in and fixed the biggest probs.... most work should b donne with a good mix not the mastering, mastering is a more of a polish and not so much of a correct all things wrong stage!!

go with what u ears tell ya feels right and make's ya shake yer leg! ;)

Z

its been lng i know a good track has all the frenquecies in it ... beleive me, pushing the frequencies abit "forgot" in the mix or adding some soudns filling these frequencies changed a lot ...

we al do not have perfect ear .. of course it improes with time ... but a good 64 bands spectrum anayser helps me A LOT in mixing / mastering my tracks and pushes some ordinar loop into something i appreciate more ....

i just thnik for a good musician technique isnt necessary as its "built in" in the brain of htis musician ... but we are not all that muc talented, so epople like me really needsomething technicalto improve our tracks .. i guess thats becasue im not good producer that's it !! =)

DJZeMig_L
18-02-2004, 12:31 AM
NĂ£ m8 a good musician doesn't mean a good mixer and a good mixer doesn't mean a good master.... that's all I mean, sure we'll all b curious and need 2 experiment but I think it's best 2 take one step at a time, I've heard good tracks totally ruined by a faulty try at mastering!!! A bad track will always b a bad track even if it sounds big polished and clear!! ;)

But it's a known fact we all try 2 learn as much as possible!! :)

Z

The Divide
18-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Mindgame, make sure you keep all your bass in mono. Thats the only issue an engineer cant fixup in mastering (I think) and it ****s the cut up.

mindgame
18-02-2004, 06:56 PM
ok kool..thnx fernando...
jsut lil things like that im looking for..id hate to write a whole track and then find out id have to rewrite it due to some dumb lil detail like that -
even though i will prob learn alot of things by trial and error id liek to cut out as much as possible ahead of time -

John Vella
18-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Yea you do right.

They say anything low, about 20hz and below **** the cut (ime not too sure on the exact frequeny). watch out for chorus effects on bass (sometimes they take a mono bass and make it stereo), I know people that put filters on the mix and shit. Fair do's but i dont see the point myself when someone else is payed to do this.

John Vella
18-02-2004, 11:33 PM
P.S I am a propper minger

Basil Rush
19-02-2004, 06:26 PM
I've got a booook called the mastering engineers handbook that's probably good reading for the obsessives ... has lots of pictures of close up vinyl and the like ...

The Divide
21-02-2004, 01:11 PM
You do loose some frequencies when its been mastered b4 cut. Those are usually really low and high freq's ones you cant exactly hear like speaker bass rumble from vibration (if your speakers go that low). What you do find is it actually sounds better from vinyl as its more of an analog sound. Ohh how i love vinyl :oops: :oops:

I'me guessing they use both low passes and high passes b4 its cut?? Does anyone know

lee_lotzof
29-02-2004, 10:15 PM
Hey Fernando

Am i right in thinking ur releasing a tune on jerk soon???

:clap:

The Divide
29-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Hey Fernando

Am i right in thinking ur releasing a tune on jerk soon???

:clap:

Its already out man, watch out for next months of release (shameless promotion) :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==