PDA

View Full Version : John Carpenter, early techno influences, etc.

drift9
16-02-2004, 06:51 AM
I was just thinking about all the stuff that kinda lead me down the slippery slope to discovering/falling in love with techno as I was growing up. Gotta say, think my earliest influences were the music from John Carpenter’s films. I remember watching his flicks at grade-school sleepover parties and just being slapped down by the music. I’d go out, buy the soundtracks and just obsess over them. Not exactly what my top-ten listening friends were doing.

Was just wondering what other techno heads were listening to back in their young days that gave a hint as to their future techno obsession.

Numeric
16-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Yeah man, i used to dig a few of them old John Carpenter movies...

The music to Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape from New York was quality...

:clap:

SlavikSvensk
16-02-2004, 06:14 PM
music i used to listen to before techno that influenced my eventual love of techno? lots of new order, joy division, depeche mode, then later acid house like a guy called gerald and 808 state.

oh, and my dad was really into vangellis, so that would be the first electronic music i was exposed to.

massplanck
16-02-2004, 06:15 PM
I was just thinking about all the stuff that kinda lead me down the slippery slope to discovering/falling in love with techno as I was growing up. Gotta say, think my earliest influences were the music from John Carpenter’s films. I remember watching his flicks at grade-school sleepover parties and just being slapped down by the music. I’d go out, buy the soundtracks and just obsess over them. Not exactly what my top-ten listening friends were doing.

Was just wondering what other techno heads were listening to back in their young days that gave a hint as to their future techno obsession.

My Journey :)

0-10
The first song I can ever ever remember hearing/liking/becoming in fatuated with was Golden Brown - By The stranglers. When I was 4/5/6 I can remember jumping around to MADNESS. Remember hating my older brothers heavy metal tapes because we used to share a room and I was more into barney or whatever and 5 year olds generally dont appreciate nosebleedmetal with lyrics about ripping priests heads off.

10-17
THE HEAVY METAL YEARS.
oopss it must have rubbed off. I got into metal after a short peaceful break from by brothers 'music' when he ****ed off to college to ride chicks and begin taking e. I had a spectrum 128k computer and discovered that after loading up your games you could throw in a normal tape and let it play whilst you chopped goblins heads off or drove a ferrari around LA with a sexy blonde in the front . Hmmm.. what tapes do we have lying around? Heavy Metal perfect music for blowing the shit out of of stuff.

Cue .. mental haircut, black clothes, drinking cider, puking up cider, grunting and whinging... all to the sounds of Metalica, Megadeth, Slayer, Carcass, Deicide, Emtombed, Cathedral. Thin Lizzy, Samael, and loads sa other delightfull stuff.

17-17.5
The Blip

I think I was playing Oasis songs for a few months on my Guitar.

17.5- now

Someone smashed that guitar over my head and gave me an e.
Cue... thinking that reptitive beats are not repetive at all even though everyone else who has never taken an e (except fitness instructors) thinks that its all repetitive , even more repetitive and repetitive repetitive repetitive.

For two years attened whatever repetitive rave was to hand but tried to steer clear of the cheese. Started playing psy trance :shock:
but it was Billy Nasty's RACE DATA ETA that really turned me onto hard techno. Cue diassapearing up my own arse.... but i'm mutating again I fear!!

Now into Tarrida, Subhead, Bob Brown, framework/automatic/semi automatic records, Fixmer, Tony Rohr, Micheal Foreshaw, Mark Hawkins, Si Begg, Berkovi, Christian Vogel, Paul Birken, Al Ferox, Speedy J, The Mover, DJ Hell, Christain Wunch, Stingrays, BMB, The Hacker, Reeko, The Advent, Vitalic, Neil Landstrumm. Richard Bartz, Female , Regis and anything a bit different.

MY FINGERS HURT.

/

jonnyspeed
16-02-2004, 06:23 PM
I always liked Karen Carpenter when I was little...

http://www.sitecarpenters.hpg.ig.com.br/entretenimento/20/sitecarpenters-283-4.jpeg

slavestudios
25-02-2004, 12:03 AM
i def reckon b-movies & seventies sc-fi led to the obsession with wacky noises for a lot of todays techno producers, djs & fans.

i love old shit like Precint 13 & Saturn 3. the noises & use of synths is crazy. sounds like some young sound guys just muckin about with Junos & Moogs when they were new :lol:

SlavikSvensk
25-02-2004, 12:53 AM
damn right it did! have you seen THX-1138? there's a segment where this chick dances to some music that sounds strikingly similar to techno.

jake
25-02-2004, 03:07 AM
my uncle gave me a tape of classical music done with synths when i was 6 years old.. first time i really listened to music and liked it

dirty_bass
25-02-2004, 05:14 AM
Oh man, john carpenter. The soundtrack to Assault on Precint 13 was wicked. One of the first things I learned to play on the keyboard in fact.

My early influences were from when I was into breakdancing. We used to get these bootleg mix tapes when we were kids, and they were just like 45 minutes a side of 909 and 808 rythms. Wicked techno, wish I still had them.

Me old pop used to listen to vangelis, and Eno, and jarre and other electronics so I guess that influenced me. + Gary Numan, down in the park, are friends electric and the early Tubeway army stuff.

dfndr
01-03-2004, 09:25 PM
love his music...and his films...

278d7e64a374de26f==