PDA

View Full Version : Wilson & Fridell - Tonal Path

Heroes
03-10-2010, 10:27 AM
you can follow the new Glenn Wilson & Mattias Fridell project "Tonal Path" at the following

TONAL PATH on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (http://www.myspace.com/tonalpath)
TonalPath - Tracks - SoundCloud (http://www.soundcloud.com/tonalpath)
Wilson - Fridell (tonalpath) on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/tonalpath)
YouTube - TonalPath's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/tonalpath)

cheeers

ethno
04-10-2010, 06:23 PM
What a combo. Glenn and Fridell are gonna take over!!!!

TiagoTechnoHead
04-10-2010, 08:40 PM
****in yeahhh

I love that old and awesome TECHNO!
Gonna clean my records.

:)))

DannyBlack
05-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Safe!

Mattias_Fridell
05-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Cheers people!
First release is out soon. And 2nd is on its way.
Also for all wax lovers the first 2 Tonal Path releases goes to a combined 12" in about a month with Cat. NR Tonal 1.2

teknorich
05-10-2010, 04:52 PM
This project is going to be huge, Mattias. Kudos to you and Glenn!

Mattias_Fridell
05-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks man! The buzz is out and we're getting some really nice support, feedback and cheering for this, really keeps the spirit up.

morbid
05-10-2010, 06:42 PM
The Bridge!!!!!!

benji303
06-10-2010, 07:55 AM
wicked

djfilthmonger
06-10-2010, 12:07 PM
great news.

ritaheed
06-10-2010, 08:12 PM
liking the tracks boys but not as in your face as i thought it was going to be :(

not taking anything away or being negative, still really like them tho :)

Mattias_Fridell
07-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Ritaheed , there will be in-your-face tracks as well, next Compound release (Cat.Nr 37) for example. The idea is we present a certain style with "Tonal Path" and more classic grooves with some modern twists as "Glenn Wilson & Mattias Fridell".
Glad you dig the tracks!

BloodStar
07-10-2010, 12:59 PM
nothing special, tbh.

drift9
07-10-2010, 02:12 PM
i dig it. looking forward to these.

ritaheed
07-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Ritaheed , there will be in-your-face tracks as well, next Compound release (Cat.Nr 37) for example. The idea is we present a certain style with "Tonal Path" and more classic grooves with some modern twists as "Glenn Wilson & Mattias Fridell".
Glad you dig the tracks!

right a see :)

ethno
08-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Best hard techno I have heard in while. Has reminiscence of old Heroes. Sick!

ritaheed
08-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Best hard techno I have heard in while. Has reminiscence of old Heroes. Sick!

no really man, old Heroes was well more banging

DannyBlack
08-10-2010, 04:58 PM
nothing special, tbh.

:laughing2: grump.

MARK ANXIOUS
10-10-2010, 11:33 PM
amazing :)

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 09:48 AM
YAWN :-(

People should throw battle parties in techno, this sort of stuff needs destroying not put on a pedestal.

Folks wonder why no-one is interested anymore ? It's cause of pointless, derivative, boring, uninspiring, untalented crap like this, basically. Imagine coming to the scene with fresh ears and hearing shit as DRAB as this.

Too many kids have grown up listening to this sort of garbage and thinking it's techno, this really isn't music in any sense of the word. It does **** all to the soul except waste its time. It's certainly NOT techno. Shouldn't techno be a bit interesting as in "ooh I like what they've done with that sound that's nutty assed" as opposed to "ooh I see exactly what they've done there and it's derivative as **** and still isn't any good"

Stop applauding it, sit back and LISTEN to it - there's NOTHING there of note/merit. Seriously. If you think there is then I'm sorry but you're playin' yerself...

To back up my point I will say that if anyone fancies arranging it I'm more than happy to battle Mr Wilson into a pine boxe of his choosing, turntablism or live. It'll never happen, though, but I have no problem in answering a challenge should it be issued - let's see if the cut goes both ways. SOMEONE ORGANISE IT ! I DARE YOU !

I'm not saying here "I AM BETTER WOO HOO LOOK AT ME I SHOULD BE GETTING THIS ATTENTION" - I'm merely trying to illustrate the point that if this is meant to be a 'big' or 'much awaited' product then we're in BIG ****ING TROUBLE, FOLKS. Even the fact that people think it's GOOD is cause for concern. Seriously, **** this shit. There's umpteen people who could blow this shit offstage imo. Easily.

Get this crap out of techno, stop releasing SERIOUSLY SUB PAR product to please the proles who are always going to kiss your ass anyways. Try and bring something that would interest someone whos brain hasn't already been numbed by waves of your generic/highly derivative/soulless dirge... If you want to make money go and make house music (as if.... THAT NEEDS SOUL)... If you're making TECHNO you should at least be doing so with a TECHNO mindset - not just a 'I'm going to just recycle all my past ideas in a big tumbler until all the sharp edges get rubbed off and we're left with these homogenous, blunt lumps' thought process. What's the ****ing POINT !?!?

This is the missionary position of techno music.

THE INVITATION TO BATTLE HAS BEEN POSTED - YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 09:49 AM
amazing :)

Oh, come on... Seriously, you REALLY think that's amazing ?

This carries as much worth to the world as a dungbeetle trying to rape a golfball.

Mattias_Fridell
18-10-2010, 11:01 AM
YAWN :-(

People should throw battle parties in techno, this sort of stuff needs destroying not put on a pedestal.

Folks wonder why no-one is interested anymore ? It's cause of pointless, derivative, boring, uninspiring, untalented crap like this, basically. Imagine coming to the scene with fresh ears and hearing shit as DRAB as this.

Too many kids have grown up listening to this sort of garbage and thinking it's techno, this really isn't music in any sense of the word. It does **** all to the soul except waste its time. It's certainly NOT techno. Shouldn't techno be a bit interesting as in "ooh I like what they've done with that sound that's nutty assed" as opposed to "ooh I see exactly what they've done there and it's derivative as **** and still isn't any good"

Stop applauding it, sit back and LISTEN to it - there's NOTHING there of note/merit. Seriously. If you think there is then I'm sorry but you're playin' yerself...

To back up my point I will say that if anyone fancies arranging it I'm more than happy to battle Mr Wilson into a pine boxe of his choosing, turntablism or live. It'll never happen, though, but I have no problem in answering a challenge should it be issued - let's see if the cut goes both ways. SOMEONE ORGANISE IT ! I DARE YOU !

I'm not saying here "I AM BETTER WOO HOO LOOK AT ME I SHOULD BE GETTING THIS ATTENTION" - I'm merely trying to illustrate the point that if this is meant to be a 'big' or 'much awaited' product then we're in BIG ****ING TROUBLE, FOLKS. Even the fact that people think it's GOOD is cause for concern. Seriously, **** this shit. There's umpteen people who could blow this shit offstage imo. Easily.

Get this crap out of techno, stop releasing SERIOUSLY SUB PAR product to please the proles who are always going to kiss your ass anyways. Try and bring something that would interest someone whos brain hasn't already been numbed by waves of your generic/highly derivative/soulless dirge... If you want to make money go and make house music (as if.... THAT NEEDS SOUL)... If you're making TECHNO you should at least be doing so with a TECHNO mindset - not just a 'I'm going to just recycle all my past ideas in a big tumbler until all the sharp edges get rubbed off and we're left with these homogenous, blunt lumps' thought process. What's the ****ing POINT !?!?

This is the missionary position of techno music.

THE INVITATION TO BATTLE HAS BEEN POSTED - YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!

Nice. Criticism. Cool. Just took a listen to your stuff & I don't get it mate. Based on your music you cant back up what you're saying.
Also "ooh I see exactly what they've done there and it's derivative as **** and still isn't any good"
Please go ahead and explain what stuff we used and how we got these sounds since you see exactly how we done it, would love to hear.

Heroes
18-10-2010, 11:07 AM
i see your point jamie that "get wonky on it" is a real happy hardcore donk masterpiece. you are the man.....as much as you waste your time listening to the bridge its is doubled by me having to reply to such a one side view on techno....not all techno parties are based on squaters on crack my old mukker

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 11:23 AM
"Nice. Criticism. Cool. Just took a listen to your stuff & I don't get it mate. Based on your music you cant back up what you're saying."

Listen to all my music, have you ? "I don't get it, mate" << FIGURES... Try actually listening to a bunch of it, or don't I'm not bothered. Thing is, I'm not farting out records every five minutes. I'm inna "if you've nothing worthwhile to say, don't say anything at all" stylee. Unlike some.

BATTLE ME - I CHALLENGE YOU ANY TIME ANYWHERE.

Criticise all you like, but I've offered you out in a battle don't just run under your stone and chuck words back. Fail. The challenge is there. Accept it or accept the fact that y'all aint serious enough to **** with what's on offer.

Glenn (who I presume HEROES is), you are in NO POSITION to judge anyone elses music. Isn't it about time you stopped running your career by piggy backing the talents of others and actually admitted that you should probably give up in your quest to dominate the record boxes of idiots across the globe ? Go and work in real estate or something, that seems more suited to you - selling empty shells to people.

You and the likes of prime distribution basically ****ed over techno in the UK with a glut of really terrible/derivative releases and I'll stand by that statement big time. It's not like no-one else agrees, they're just all gimped the **** out about saying it. I'm not. It's about time someone stood for SOMETHING. Don't say "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE ON ABOUT" cause I used to distro your records (majority shareholder at just music init) I even wrote some heavily lolzy press releases for some of them.

Anyways, like I said to Mattias I challenged y'all so by all means arrange the battle WHICH I HAVE OFFERED YOU and we'll see who's laughing at the end of it.

Seriously, I await your reply ! Find a promoter to sort it all out, I challenged so you so fix it up then I'll break you big time. Fact.

Firing more words at me is just going to make you look like you're butthurt, so I suggest you take action and agree to me smearing your musical output across the floor in front of a club full of people.

Mattias, if you think my stuff is so shit then it should be an easy victory. Simple. What you got to be afraid of ?

Any time, mate, ANY TIME. I await the date with baited breath. IT'S ON !

YouTube - Jamie Ball & Lenny Dee - Swarm Format (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOyYTkj1AE)

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Even on my worst day, I'm better than you on your best :-x

YouTube - JAMIE BALL - FOOTWORXX NYE CLIP 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qb0CWxqJcY)

Heroes
18-10-2010, 11:40 AM
lay the pipe down and think about it you are embarrassing yourself, seriously i wont reply anymore, you have your vision of techno i have mine. as for a battle please grow up, I admit i couldnt compete with that and nor would i want to, i wouldnt know where to start, should i bring the concrete mixer or the jackhammer or maybee both.....seriously fella dont go there i heard lenny, adam x and that crew bang shit out like your trash while you were still munchin on farleys rusks, only thing is they were 1st at it, your way way way too late to hold any crown......a little tip as well that fancy loop cd you got out you could save some hard-drive space and make it 8 bit because 24 wont give you any more quality

Mattias_Fridell
18-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Jamie, mate. Your not only embarrassing yourself, you're insulting other people intelligence, the ones who like what we do. I have no problem to take criticism if it's done right and when its coming from someone who can back their stuff up and put there money where their mouth is.

And what is this battle thing? Are you still in high-school or have the mentality of a teen-ager? The music you play does not interest techno people in general, if you like third movement stuff no problem there but its not proper techno, sorry. What you play & make have no soul whatsoever and have been done but tons of people since shitloads of years back.

I've been in the music biz for a very long time delivering everything from house, jazz, orchestral music to what Im known for: Techno (in various shapes). The DJ battle thing is hilarious, but I guess that's what you do best, because music you sure can't produce at all. The tracks you produce I can make 100% better in 30 minutes, I'm way beyond childish music like that.

I know your kind, and this is my last reply to you, good day sir.

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 12:13 PM
lay the pipe down and think about it you are embarrassing yourself, seriously i wont reply anymore, you have your vision of techno i have mine. as for a battle please grow up, I admit i couldnt compete with that and nor would i want to, i wouldnt know where to start, should i bring the concrete mixer or the jackhammer or maybee both.....seriously fella dont go there i heard lenny, adam x and that crew bang shit out like your trash while you were still munchin on farleys rusks, only thing is they were 1st at it, your way way way too late to hold any crown......a little tip as well that fancy loop cd you got out you could save some hard-drive space and make it 8 bit because 24 wont give you any more quality

Lol nice comeback. Never heard of audio being distorted by cameras before ? I guess not. Then again, based on your production you're clearly not that familiar with audio in the grand sense anyways.

Grow up ? Maybe if I 'grow up' then you can refrain from 'chickening out' ? I take it by trying to be funny and putting down SOME of my musical output (I actually produce all kinds of music, being a MUSICIAN - do you even understand what that word MEANS ? look it up...) that you're attempting to sidestep the issue at hand ? Fail, as predicted. I'm not the one who can't back up his words with action, mate, remember that (it's here for all to see until you whine enough to Mark to get it deleted, if you so choose)

How long have you been playing/making dance music for, exactly ? Don't get ME started, you've no idea about me or where I'm from/at so cease making retarded guesses. You'll fail :-P

What are you 1st at ? Making boring as **** loop techno ? Derivative, much ? Didn't you just release a lot of music by people who're now far bigger than yourself (with reason) then just basically shit out a watered down version of their sound ? I mean, I'm loathe to lower myself to such criticism but being as you've opened the ballpark ****ing right I'll hit home runs on your lame output till the cows come home. Interesting that you respond instantly with criticism on what you've been able to find hastily of my output online, as opposed to just saying 'yes, it's a fair cop' which would make a lot more sense. Defensive, at all ? :-x

If you're prepared to stand up for your music in a public venue and put it against me then you can criticise away, like I suggested. If you're not prepared to do this then any kind of muckslinging on your behalf is a tad ****ing redundant, n'est pas ? I've issued a challenge, it took all of about an hour or so for you to think it over then back down. Way to go. You want a medal ? Or maybe I should ship you a CROWN hahahahaha

Is 'holding a crown' what this is all about to you ? Well, good job - you have one on already, you've totally cornered the market in completely boring and soulless techno so I salute you wholeheartedly. Holding a crown LOL being noticed LOL > WHO GIVES A SHIT < are you just doing this to get the pats on the back ? Pardon me for being apparently misinformed but I wasn't aware that's what an artistic mindset is all about.

HOLDING A CROWN < loool listen to yourself.

I could not give a tiny **** what you or any of your cohorts think of my music, chances are you've never heard of it/me before today and that speaks volumes tbh. You wont catch me jumping on the self publicity bandwagon just in order to shoot myself in the foot by blowing a fanfare then expecting everyone to lap up the jobbies that roll along the conveyor belt. (which is, I believe, what is happening here)

I notice you're not getting paid to release sample cd's, too ? Interesting, that. One might infer from this that you don't, infact, have a sound of your own to 'sell' ? You COULD do one, just bundle a cd and some crap pictures of women with their tits out then burn ONLY a notepad file to the cd saying "basically just rip off the crappy lunkhead bits of other peoples music, make ****ing SURE you don't attempt anything out of the box or - heaven forbid - memorable. Stick some pictures of tits on it and hey presto"

Just an idea.

Still waiting on you sorting this battle out, btw, but I guess I'll have a while to twiddle my thumbs being as it's evident you're not going to back up your words with action any time soon.

:-x

Honestly, "HOLDING A CROWN" <<< LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL thanks for that I'll be laughing all day :-)

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Jamie, mate. Your not only embarrassing yourself, you're insulting other people intelligence, the ones who like what we do. I have no problem to take criticism if it's done right and when its coming from someone who can back their stuff up and put there money where their mouth is.

And what is this battle thing? Are you still in high-school or have the mentality of a teen-ager? The music you play does not interest techno people in general, if you like third movement stuff no problem there but its not proper techno, sorry. What you play & make have no soul whatsoever and have been done but tons of people since shitloads of years back.

I've been in the music biz for a very long time delivering everything from house, jazz, orchestral music to what Im known for: Techno (in various shapes). The DJ battle thing is hilarious, but I guess that's what you do best, because music you sure can't produce at all. The tracks you produce I can make 100% better in 30 minutes, I'm way beyond childish music like that.

I know your kind, and this is my last reply to you, good day sir.

FAIL

You don't know me, you don't know anything about me. You think TTM is my style ? FAIL. Try checking some history you moron. Just cause I don't work exclusively in one scene, I mean, WOW how audacious !

Personally, I don't know much if **** all about your output so I can't criticise your back catalogue for fear of looking like an ignorant prick (as you are here).

If you've been in the music business for so long, one would have thought you'd be aware that I've only been doing 'industrial' kinda music the last little while (and why not). You might want to have a listen to some of my techno before you make yourself look like even more of a blinkered, butthurt idiot.

You can call me all the childish names under the sun, fact is you're evidently not prepared to put yourself up against me in a live environment. Speaks volumes, mate.

Cool how you're not even prepared to stand in defence of your own "musical" output. That's so ass backwards it might even be WIN :-x

Heroes
18-10-2010, 12:50 PM
whats ass backwards really is what a f***ing a class gold coated twat your making yourself look, matey you bought shit all to this post but negativity. you go on about battles i mean cumon what the hell are you on seriously? you think techno is all about ****ing disted 909 and 160bpm. Distorted by cameras? did you record killafornia through a camera you should try the mackies the onyx ones are really good mattias has 3 of them......but seriously i personaly dont give a shit what you have done, who you are or what hand you are using wanking off to this argument. All i know is that if it was for any worth you would be a lot further in your career than having to get your attention kicking up a stink on here, hey whos knows you learn to mix that shit you call music properly next time and you could soon be doing gigs on wigan pier. I do know this though whats the biggest crime is that you actually got paid to make that cd.........Right seriously "King Jamie the saviour of all things techno" i dont give a flying shit what you come back with i wont be giving you the pleasure of taking anymore of my time...

teknorich
18-10-2010, 01:30 PM
This "Battle of the bands" thing seems pretty kiddy to me. What are you trying to decide here - the future of Techno, or whose band plays the school prom?!

Best way to show people why your Techno is better is to post some links up here to your recent Techno work, and let folks decide for themselves. And keep it recent (last 12 months maximum) because otherwise it isn't a fair comparison. We've heard what Techno Glenn and Mattias are making currently, so now let's hear what you are making.

force
18-10-2010, 01:33 PM
"Nice. Criticism. Cool. Just took a listen to your stuff & I don't get it mate. Based on your music you cant back up what you're saying."

Listen to all my music, have you ? "I don't get it, mate" << FIGURES... Try actually listening to a bunch of it, or don't I'm not bothered. Thing is, I'm not farting out records every five minutes. I'm inna "if you've nothing worthwhile to say, don't say anything at all" stylee. Unlike some.

BATTLE ME - I CHALLENGE YOU ANY TIME ANYWHERE.

Criticise all you like, but I've offered you out in a battle don't just run under your stone and chuck words back. Fail. The challenge is there. Accept it or accept the fact that y'all aint serious enough to **** with what's on offer.

Glenn (who I presume HEROES is), you are in NO POSITION to judge anyone elses music. Isn't it about time you stopped running your career by piggy backing the talents of others and actually admitted that you should probably give up in your quest to dominate the record boxes of idiots across the globe ? Go and work in real estate or something, that seems more suited to you - selling empty shells to people.

You and the likes of prime distribution basically ****ed over techno in the UK with a glut of really terrible/derivative releases and I'll stand by that statement big time. It's not like no-one else agrees, they're just all gimped the **** out about saying it. I'm not. It's about time someone stood for SOMETHING. Don't say "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE ON ABOUT" cause I used to distro your records (majority shareholder at just music init) I even wrote some heavily lolzy press releases for some of them.

Anyways, like I said to Mattias I challenged y'all so by all means arrange the battle WHICH I HAVE OFFERED YOU and we'll see who's laughing at the end of it.

Seriously, I await your reply ! Find a promoter to sort it all out, I challenged so you so fix it up then I'll break you big time. Fact.

Firing more words at me is just going to make you look like you're butthurt, so I suggest you take action and agree to me smearing your musical output across the floor in front of a club full of people.

Mattias, if you think my stuff is so shit then it should be an easy victory. Simple. What you got to be afraid of ?

Any time, mate, ANY TIME. I await the date with baited breath. IT'S ON !

YouTube - Jamie Ball & Lenny Dee - Swarm Format (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOyYTkj1AE)

jesus ****ing christ!!!!!

You know when you read something and cant stop cringing........

fackin ell...

dan the acid man
18-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Might be an idea to take it to PM's now fellas.

ritaheed
18-10-2010, 02:13 PM
a do think techno as went some what wattered down, and its defo not to my taste so i can understand jamie's point - dont totally agree how it got said but it is a forum at the end of the day

tbh a love mattias', wilsons and jamie's stuff - prefer glen wilson back in the day and i was expecting something mega with the new tonal releases but it does do a job - mattias harder stuff well gets me going and have bought a load of it recently and im a fan of nearly every jamie ball release anyways

each to there own and all that shizz tho :) but aye maybe jamie should get on the propa techno route again and inject us with something other than this minimilish type techno that's going about

saying that im going to see the advent and the industrialyzer this weekend - going to be plenty of that minimilsh type techno sound but im still game for a bounce about :)

ritaheed
18-10-2010, 02:13 PM
anyways about time this forum got a bit of life pumped into it

ethno
18-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Wtf is Jamie Ball anyhow? Got a few records out on discogs:

Jamie Ball - Bio, CDs and Vinyl at Discogs (http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jamie+Ball)

Let's take a look at mighty Glenn Wilson shall we:

Glenn Wilson - Bio, CDs and Vinyl at Discogs (http://www.discogs.com/artist/Glenn+Wilson)

Well then, what does this tell me? Tells me that a heck of a lot more people want to hear Mr. Wilson then you bud.

I'm gonna be completely honest with you Jamie. You've made a couple of good records that I have bought back in the day. But I have about 20 Glenn Wilson albums that would rape you flat up, eyes closed.

Who is to say you can't play live better than either of them. Who the **** cares. These guys are making quality shit that's going to do well. I promise you, if they keep it going you will eat your words.

Jealous much?

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 02:26 PM
"All i know is that if it was for any worth you would be a lot further in your career than having to get your attention kicking up a stink on here"

Career ? Oh **** off ya moron... Is that what it's about to you ? MONEY/CAREER/JOB FOR LIFE NO MATTER ? Give it a break lol if that was the case you'd surely not be constantly shooting yourself in the foot or are you genuinely that stupid ?? :-s The mind boggles.....

Is it not you who posts endlessly LISTEN TO THIS CHECK THIS RELEASE NEW AMAZING SHIT FROM GLENN WILSON etc etc ? I was under the impression I hadn't posted for ****ing months, let alone smear the entire interwebbings in shite about whatever SAME OLD SAME OLD project I'm involved in currently...

I've ticked all the boxes I want in techno and am perfectly happy where I am, nor is it my bread and butter so I do it purely for enjoyment. I'm not doing this to try and finance an extension on my house. All I'm saying is that your music you've put up here is shite (imo) and that most of your output in the past has been the same IN MY OPINION. You're an affront to techno, in my opinion, and your attitude is about as NON TECHNO as one can get. I don't own any of your records and I guess you can say the same about me... Being, however, as you know the inside and out of dance music I wonder where SHOULD I be in my 'career' right now ? Where are YOU ? Aren't you way off 'the map' compared to what you used to be ? Did you ever find that crown ? Some of us choose not to put ourselves 'on the map' in the first place, this is clearly not a mentality with which you are familiar. Many people have said to me since starting this little conversation 'oh yeah he's ****ing blasting that shit all over the internet right now' - Well done, Glenn, you're clearly making waves in your 'career'. I hope that by annoying everyone you will get BIG SALES...

There's more to criticism that CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and if I see something crappy going down that I don't agree with I've as much right as anyone else to get involved and have my say. My main point, and I shall re-iterate it again for those not picking up on it, is that you release predominantly derivative/crappy music with purely transient appeal. On a regular basis. Yet STILL you don't seem to understand that if you actually want a 'career' it might not be the best thing to do. Ho hum. :-) That corner you're in is really tiny now but never mind you've still clearly got plenty of paint :-x

As I've said to Mattias, the fact you're clearly too dumb and reactionary to do anything other than go one or two releases into my back catalogue to find 'issues' is not my problem - it's yours. The fact you're prepared to give dogs abuse out about something you have ably demonstrated you know **** all about is basically a big fail. Two wrongs don't make a right, the fact that my saying this project of yours SUCKS has led to you frantically sourcing the interwebbings for my 'output' to abuse similarly is kinda lol. You're failing to address the key point of my argument. The woeful lack of almost anything interesting that is exhibited TIME AND TIME AGAIN by your releases doesn't really have much to do with anything I've done, does it ? :-P

We might as well call an end to this now being as the asslicker brigade will no doubt be on board soon (some already here I see) but it's been fun while it's lasted :-x

It saddens me that each time I visit this forum the situation regarding techno in general seems WORSE - hence this lolzy wee outburst today. It's not just me that thinks this way but in the absence of anyone else actually saying what they feel I'm quite happy to be the 'bad guy' once again :-)

Anyways, despite saying you're not going to reply you've still managed to (did you do it by proxy, like some of your releases in the past ?) but yeah, I'm going to **** off and go in the pool for a bit so digest and respond at your leisure if you wish.

I think from here on it IS going to just be a slanging match, judging from your pig ignorant and deliberately inflammatory comments in response to mine thus far and I've said all I need to say but if you DO wish to continue down this avenue be assured I can make the road last forever and will be quite happy to trod along with you :-)

Mattias_Fridell
18-10-2010, 02:26 PM
One important thing to remember is that "Tonal Path" is focusing on slow vibes with progression and big bottom & atmosphere.

Wardrum EP on Compound 37 was released end of last week shows the more banging side of mine and Glenn's team work but we released that stuff under (simple) Glenn Wilson & Mattias Fridell. Everything under our own names is more like the classic grooves. But in no way we'll ever go back to 140 BPM Techno like 10 years ago, its just not our thing anymore. Slower tracks opens up new space to place and arrange sounds and thats what we really love right now.

ethno
18-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Jamie Ball is the new Gunjack!

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Wtf is Jamie Ball anyhow? Got a few records out on discogs:

Jamie Ball - Bio, CDs and Vinyl at Discogs (http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jamie+Ball)

Let's take a look at mighty Glenn Wilson shall we:

Glenn Wilson - Bio, CDs and Vinyl at Discogs (http://www.discogs.com/artist/Glenn+Wilson)

Well then, what does this tell me? Tells me that a heck of a lot more people want to hear Mr. Wilson then you bud.

I'm gonna be completely honest with you Jamie. You've made a couple of good records that I have bought back in the day. But I have about 20 Glenn Wilson albums that would rape you flat up, eyes closed.

Who is to say you can't play live better than either of them. Who the **** cares. These guys are making quality shit that's going to do well. I promise you, if they keep it going you will eat your words.

Jealous much?

Have you ever considered I may not want/need to fart out 10 records that all sound the same every month ? Hmmm, clearly not.... Maybe you should think about the fact that Glenn is attempting to make a 'good' living out of this music and (whilst trying not to laugh) then you may understand the reason behind his 'prolific' output. It doesn't surprise me you have so many Glenn Wilson records. Infact, it kinda illustrates my point...

Thing is, NO-ONE owes anyone a living. If you provide a shit service then why the hell are people going to keep paying for it ? This shit is the macdonalds of techno, providing base level sustenance for people not willing to go off the beaten track. AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF 'EM

Putting out music that's lame and same old same old just to keep your name out there is way worse than just shutting up and being content with what you've done. Ask Glenn, I'm sure he can tell you his sales figures from today and we can compare them to what he did in the past. If he was doing so amazingly he wouldn't be teaming up with anyone who'd have him to put out this generic crud in the vain hope that having twice the releases out will reap him twice the rewards. It's a really stupid way of thinking.

"I promise you, if they keep it going you will eat your words."

I doubt it. I fully doubt it. If these tracks are remembered in 5 years time I'll eat your anus. It's transient, crappy, run of the mill, non-kickass, linear junk and I stand by my opinion.

Plus, when are fanboys opinions ever welcomed ? WTF are YOU !?!? lol ! Seriously though it just makes it appear that people can't fight their own battles. It's like cunts defending football teams, at the end of the day they'll function without you and only really want you for your cash/bums on seats.

I couldn't give a **** if no-one listened to my music, seriously, hence never shouting about it. It's not FOR people. If they happen to enjoy it or want to release it fair enough but at the end of the day it's for my own amusement. I've never sent out a 'demo' and I've never bugged anyone for a release. It's not my modus operandi and if you weren't too thick to do so you'd be able to get your head away from the concept that the only reason people make music is for superstardom.

I fail to see how, if they ARE working for 'the audience', Glenn etc can't come up with something a shitload more catchy. I mean, seriously, is that what people want to hear these days ? If so then I'm glad I pay **** all attention to techno :-)

I'm with ritaheed - this place needed spicing up anyways, the apple cart was practically sliding across a frictionless surface before I kicked this shit up - now at least it's popping a wheelie.

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Mate, I'm the ORIGINAL, you're just too young (on the forum) to have experienced rantings yet... To some, they're divine - to others, asinine ;-)

However you choose to look at it - welcome to the truth \m/

ethno
18-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Please stfu already Jamie, you're talking to pretty much 10 people tops. This board is as dead as your career.

Stop wasting our time here bashing people for what you think is good music. End of the day, people love Glenn and Matthias's shit, so lay off.

If YOU think its boring so be it. Don't buy it and don't listen to it. I think about 10 000 people in this world would disagree with you but you don't seem to come on here talking about it.

You should counter by coming out with some new material yourself and try and speak volumes that way. Get in the studio and crank out some of this music that you claim is so much better than this boring repetitive crap. (lol)

Having a battle at club would not be showing that your music is better, it would merely be showing that your live is better than theirs. I really think you're gonna have a hard time topping some of Glenn's old music. Most of his punish shit is epic.

I don't even think I can remember 1 track of yours that I played more than 2-3 weeks dude.

Just sayin.

Mattias_Fridell
18-10-2010, 03:18 PM
While this isnt exactly a reply to Jamie I just stumbled upon this while reading his last rant:

"I've never sent out a 'demo' and I've never bugged anyone for a release. It's not my modus operandi and if you weren't too thick to do so you'd be able to get your head away from the concept that the only reason people make music is for superstardom."

Just to elaborate some for others, what I quoted is also true for me to some extent, I sent 6 demos in entire life and all of em was when I just got a bit more experienced in Techno (maybe they're all spread on a period of 2 years). Everything else I released, under my own name or under one of my aliases, is on requests (My discogs is very very poorly updated but my enitire released catalog can be found elsewhere).

Maybe this Jamie person confuses Glenn Wilson & Myself with the Beatport top 50 DJs that actually are popstars. We don't focus on being the commercial guys, never have and never will.
When we launched the Tonal Path project we knew far from everyone would like it. That's more rebel behavior then, say, go 150 BPM and trash all sounds through distortion boxes (with that being said, trashing sounds through distortion boxes can obviously be fun)

djfilthmonger
18-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Kinda feel like im being attacked here for what music I like. Why bring this kinda shit to the techno scene , as if I dont get enough for even listening to techno in the first place not that it bothers me at all.

force
18-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Ha ha, its always fun when somebodys Ego gets out of control and they makes themselves look a TOTAL cunt on a public forum.....

More of this please jamieboy, youre really funny....

SlavikSvensk
18-10-2010, 04:55 PM
How about someone arrange a "best track" battle on here, Glenn/Mattias and Jamie both post what they think is their best track and everyone votes on which is better?

(hehehe)

djfilthmonger
18-10-2010, 04:58 PM
How about someone arrange a "best track" battle on here, Glenn/Mattias and Jamie both post what they think is their best track and everyone votes on which is better?

(hehehe)

why bother ?

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 05:10 PM
While this isnt exactly a reply to Jamie I just stumbled upon this while reading his last rant:

"I've never sent out a 'demo' and I've never bugged anyone for a release. It's not my modus operandi and if you weren't too thick to do so you'd be able to get your head away from the concept that the only reason people make music is for superstardom."

Just to elaborate some for others, what I quoted is also true for me to some extent, I sent 6 demos in entire life and all of em was when I just got a bit more experienced in Techno (maybe they're all spread on a period of 2 years). Everything else I released, under my own name or under one of my aliases, is on requests (My discogs is very very poorly updated but my enitire released catalog can be found elsewhere).

Maybe this Jamie person confuses Glenn Wilson & Myself with the Beatport top 50 DJs that actually are popstars. We don't focus on being the commercial guys, never have and never will.
When we launched the Tonal Path project we knew far from everyone would like it. That's more rebel behavior then, say, go 150 BPM and trash all sounds through distortion boxes (with that being said, trashing sounds through distortion boxes can obviously be fun)

I was actually saying that stuff in reference to the kid who told me that I was 'jealous' of Glenns (supposed?) position in the 'industry' lol I wasn't really saying "ooh look at mattias I bet he sends out millions of demos". I don't know if you do or not, so wouldn't comment on it...

Mattias I think you should let Glenn speak for himself and try not to dig a hole for yourself alongside his, if I'm being brutally honest. I'm not casting any unneccesary aspersions BUT the words Glenn and Wilson are seldom mentioned in the same sentence as words such as 'altruism' and 'reasonable'. Just saying what I've heard, I'm not a jangler (infact I'm a jangler strangler) just reporting what I've heard that's all.

Again, try not to just be like "Jamie ball just ****s everything through distortion" as it's simply not true. Maybe in your world producers are utterly one dimensional but I think of myself more as a musician. Here's an example of something distorted to **** that I wrote for crusty warehouse parties... YouTube - Jamie Ball as Action Bastard - Fake Book (Teleskopik Recordings 003) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNO4B0v8Im8)

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Ha ha, its always fun when somebodys Ego gets out of control and they makes themselves look a TOTAL cunt on a public forum.....

More of this please jamieboy, youre really funny....

It seems everyone in techno can only relate to things in terms of EGO. That's what's wrong, I'll warrant. Who gives a **** about EGO ? I'm quite happy to say my music is shit to 99% of people, WHO CARES ? AND YOUR POINT IS ? I'm not defending it, I just wish people would not be so ****ing thick and get possession of FACTS before attacking stuff - "Jamie Ball makes distorted industrial" = NAIVE AS ****, SHOWCASING A LACK OF POSSESSION OF THE FACTS... >BUT< saying "Glenn Wilson always makes middle of the road techno, frequently riding on the coat tails of others" well, is that not the truth ? It is from where I'm sat and I'm happy to entertain evidence to the contrary :-o

I have already said I have extensive experience (to my shame) of having to sell Glenns music in the past so I'm well aware of his 'output' over the years. As far as I'm concerned it might as well all be the same record. That's MY OPINION, seems like everyone is getting their knickers well and truly in a twist cause I've chucked an egg at the window of the "MIGHTY" (haha) Glenn Wilson. He's been as much use to the scene, at the end of the day, as the likes of John Warwick (hence why I mentioned Prime and their attempts to fully suffocate techno in an earlier response)

IN MY OPINION - it's 'bout time you folks started to question your 'idols'. How the **** you get 'idols' in a scene where no-one even plays any instruments is kinda beyond me, anyways, but I have an odd way of looking at stuff (apparently). All that glitters is not gold, it's just yet another embossed HEROES sleeve ;-)

I think my input here has been really healthy, personally, but then again I would ;-x

Also, I'll say once again, STUNNING how many people actually seem to agree fully with me yet are afraid to say it. WHY ? If you're not happy with the status quo - BOMB IT ! That's why we have mouths with which to speak and hands with which to write. Simple.

In the meantime, I'll keep flying the flag for brutal honesty (and entertain people in the process if that's how it rolls...). DO NOT GET ME TWISTED, though, this isn't an EGO battle - my point was/is that pretty much anyone could rock this fool offstage...

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 05:26 PM

(hehehe)

Retarded idea.

However, I do like the Glenn/Mattias name - lol - it's like BENNIFER or BRANGELINA and the like, totally symbiotic showbiz mayhem ahahAHHAhAhAHAHhAHA \m/

DannyBlack
18-10-2010, 05:41 PM
This thread has sickened me somewhat to be honest. Jamie, it has been said before, if you don't like it don't listen to it. Don't buy it.

I find your attacks juvenile and counter-productive. It is attitudes like yours that make me want question why I got into Techno in the first place.

Anyway, you've made yourself look like a tool. No, really you have. So I will leave it at that. Will you?

Please read the rules of the forum before you post please.

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Fair play, Danny, I can but bow to the rules as they are laid down.

If you feel the need, prune away - I do agree to some extent that this could be construed as counter productive behaviour on my part but perhaps in actually speaking up we may all move towards changing things to make stuff STRONGER.

I don't wish to cast aspersions on what people should/shouldn't be listening to and I will admit that basically that's what this thread has caused me to do, or it sure reads like that. It is, in some respects, shameful I concur. I'm sharing my point of view and should have paid more heed to the rules before doing so. However, once again I'd say that (as with the nanny state and Britain itself) cottonwooling and mollycoddling of certain outmoded ideals isn't neccesary the best idea. It's possible we can all be so much better, the entry of EGO into the debate refired me somewhat. If it's EGO based then what's the point ? If everything you write/do is amazing and lauded as such then what's the point in continuing - you've already hit your peak. To quote your countryman (sorry looool) "Things can only get better"

Right, amen to this I'm away off again for another massive chunk of time - just thought I'd drop by to see what was going on and already I've unintentionally rattled it up to defcon 1. Can't take me anywhere, honestly ;-)

Like I said, delete if you feel the need or leave for posterity - Consider my gob closed on the subject.

Mattias_Fridell
18-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Again, try not to just be like "Jamie ball just ****s everything through distortion" as it's simply not true. Maybe in your world producers are utterly one dimensional but I think of myself more as a musician. Here's an example of something distorted to **** that I wrote for crusty warehouse parties... YouTube - Jamie Ball as Action Bastard - Fake Book (Teleskopik Recordings 003) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNO4B0v8Im8)

I said I wouldn't reply no more to you but I just felt I needed to sort this out.
First, English is not my native language so sadly I sometimes manage to not get through with my sarcasm. I was being sarcastic about the "Jamie puts all in a distortion box" since you felt the need to say the Tonal Stuff sounds like everything else Glenn or me done before.
I honestly don't care if you don't like my stuff, or Glenn's stuff, or our collab stuff, and I sure as hell don't like yours. Oh and I made sure to browse though lots of releases that you have.

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I said I wouldn't reply no more to you but I just felt I needed to sort this out.
First, English is not my native language so sadly I sometimes manage to not get through with my sarcasm. I was being sarcastic about the "Jamie puts all in a distortion box" since you felt the need to say the Tonal Stuff sounds like everything else Glenn or me done before.
I honestly don't care if you don't like my stuff, or Glenn's stuff, or our collab stuff, and I sure as hell don't like yours. Oh and I made sure to browse though lots of releases that you have.

Just a quickie to clear this up...

Mattias, kinda the same here on the language front. Well, sort of. The sarcasm tip anyways. A lot of people presume I'm raging (perish the thought) but I'm a very reasonable man who happens to be Scottish in the ol' vernacular :-)

I'm not familiar with what you've done, so I wasn't meaning to comment on what's gone before and if you've taken it that way I apologise. My, what rare days are these !?! lol ;-)

If you don't like my music that's fine with me :-)

As you were, folks, as you were ...

JamieBall
18-10-2010, 06:27 PM
it's one thing not to like something; everyone's entitled to their opinion. but if you call someone's productions out in this kind of disrespectful, self-serving way, you should be prepared to show why yours are better. you're clearly not. that basically tells everyone that you talk a lot of shite about "battling" but, deep down, don't really believe anyone will rate your work compared with theirs.

someone said you're like gunjack, but i don't see it. that dude is always ready to back up his words.

one more clearup.... :-s

A) I wasn't being self serving. As I have said on several occasions I'm not out to promote myself in any way at all. I'll occasionally put up something here or there for the lolz cause I think some people might find it funny, that's about it. The people who know me know this. Those who don't think I'm a retard anyways, I have nothing to lose. I'm like Riggs off of Lethal Weapon. Well, Lethal Weapon 1. Or Mad Max 2.

B) Battles are about the moment. Anyone can bring anything pre-rolled to the table. That doesn't count, it's not the spirit of the thing. Battles contain excitement, atmosphere, interaction the list goes on. They were and still remain a true test of skill in an environment where you have to be the best you can be with someone right there trying to be BETTER. It's >NOT< a fight, it's not about doing physical harm to people and it's far from schoolyard - it's the culmination of your abilities being thrown right back in your face (or not, if you're winning). Surely anything that sharpens skills should be embraced not embargoed ? Posting tracks is subjective, there's never any doubt when someone has won a battle :-)

Okay okay that's DEFINITELY it now.

teknorich
18-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Meanwhile, back on topic...

YouTube - The Bridge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZLCOHpZIes)

This sounds immense played loud and bassy :ruwink:

ritaheed
18-10-2010, 07:47 PM
oooft thank fcuk boys... was interesting to start off with now its just gay

fcuk it if someone doesnt like stuff then fair doo's :)

Mattias_Fridell
19-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Meanwhile, back on topic...

YouTube - The Bridge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZLCOHpZIes)

This sounds immense played loud and bassy :ruwink:

You're right. Me & Glenn had the opportunity to play our Tonal stuff (and the harder stuff) out last weekend, banged perfect even with harder tunes!

Now when the storm is over does anyone wanna know more about the coming projects, ideas or similar, it's just to go ahead and ask (if it's appropriate for this forum? not sure, maybe PMs works better for this).
I always find it good to be humble and check and talk with the receiving end of the scene.

DannyBlack
19-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Go for it! Yesterday happened and today is a new day.

Luke_C
19-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure id want to post new projects on this board after reading all that lol

DannyBlack
19-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Balls to it mate! Sometimes, shit happens.

ethno
19-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't know why moderators don't get rid of all the negative posts. Just delete all the above crud and keep this thread going.

This duo, if they continue on the path their going, could put some quality hard techno back on the map.

I'm going to be completely honest here. I wasn't a huge fan of some of Glenn's most recent material. It really didn't sound like the old Glenn. However combined with Matthias, I think they both have some great things to bring to the table.

Here's to them making some banging sounds. I wish you guys great success.....

DannyBlack
19-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I would have mate, but non of them were reported.

Mattias_Fridell
19-10-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't know why moderators don't get rid of all the negative posts. Just delete all the above crud and keep this thread going.

This duo, if they continue on the path their going, could put some quality hard techno back on the map.

I'm going to be completely honest here. I wasn't a huge fan of some of Glenn's most recent material. It really didn't sound like the old Glenn. However combined with Matthias, I think they both have some great things to bring to the table.

Here's to them making some banging sounds. I wish you guys great success.....

Cool thanks a lot mate.
It's nice you lot dig the Tonal Path stuff. I believe you all will dig the Compound releases (did you hear Wardrum guys? Good?), they're more of what we all digged back then hehe, but slower.

What I find very nice about the Tonal project is it seems to attract both the side who likes more old school faster tunes and the side who digs the modern 125-130 BPM stuff.

I know many of the old veteran producers got bored to death when the minimal thing came, me included. Seems maybe a few of them can be on their way back however, need to convince em a little more ;)

ritaheed
19-10-2010, 02:57 PM
dont think posts should be deleted, its a forum ppl, everyone's entitled to their say

anything new the tonal guys do should get put up for listining - am into hearing anything thats good techno

SlavikSvensk
19-10-2010, 04:34 PM
just leave it and go back to talking about the topic

ethno
20-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Cool thanks a lot mate.
It's nice you lot dig the Tonal Path stuff. I believe you all will dig the Compound releases (did you hear Wardrum guys? Good?), they're more of what we all digged back then hehe, but slower.

What I find very nice about the Tonal project is it seems to attract both the side who likes more old school faster tunes and the side who digs the modern 125-130 BPM stuff.

I know many of the old veteran producers got bored to death when the minimal thing came, me included. Seems maybe a few of them can be on their way back however, need to convince em a little more ;)

Will have a lookout for Wardrum, havent heard any of that at all.

Just had a listen to the new compound, sounds fantastic brother!

Have you guys played any events together yet? Curious if you working up a live.....

Mattias_Fridell
20-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks mate, glad you like it.
Yes we're working on a live set, bookings can be done and we have some events coming up, just matter of dates and stuff right now (and to be on the same agency).

The Overfiend
23-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Ok, so I've given this thread a glance.
I know all parties involved, and have loads of respect for each individual in the discussion. Glenn, you opened many a door for me, and been a damn good mentor in some situations. Jamie, you're my ****in' dude man, and you've always pushed me to do what I want to, no matter the reaction. Mattias, you are one of the coolest, down to earth, non-egotistical and talented producers I've had the pleasure to get to know, as well as release on my now defunct label. I have loads of love for each one of you, what connected all of us, is techno. What bought us all to this forum, is techno.

As of right now, I feel techno is evolving.
A lot of techno fans/artists, including myself feel like techno has lost the plot.
Especially those of us who came in loving the speed, and the agression of it, but the rawness of it. Techno has since evolved and become a gateway for bad producers to become exceptional soundmen.
Some producers feel the only way to flush out the bad music, is to hold techno up to the same high quality production standards as say a commercial genre.
Others feel their primary influences have changed the story, and have gone from writing anger bangers to some highly intelligent stuff. The only problem with that, is that there is an entirely empty middle ground now.

Jamie, who I know personally, like myself has that aggressive, animal side, that when we are not listening to techno, it's full on death metal.

Where as Glenn, who is also the homie, has worked on some secret projects with some lush, highly evolved soundscapes, that would make Philip Glass jizz his pants.

Mattias, has even done some dope ass house.

It's really the individual tastes, that seem to not be meeting eye to eye here.

I understand all points, but I will say everyone has a point.

I too wish Glenn wrote tracks like the Coding Sequence Ep, but people evolve into their own potential.
Same for you Mattias, I loved Cobalt, and the way you've mastered the Swedish flavor, but you too, have evolved.
Jamie, you played hands down one of the beastliest live pa's I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing, and even though you dropped iced tea on my living room floor, we love ya to death in our house!

We're all good people here, we all genuinely love this music.
I think some of us really, really, really miss the guts of techno, while others are definitely involved with the pushing evolution of the genre further.

rhythmtech
23-10-2010, 11:51 PM
I think some of us really, really, really miss the guts of techno.

+1

ive met you jamie a couple of times and you are a sound dude, funny ****er too and glenn is a gentleman and one of the most genuine artists on the scene.

and feck it, sure music is all objective anyway...

Mattias_Fridell
24-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Ok, so I've given this thread a glance.
I know all parties involved, and have loads of respect for each individual in the discussion. Glenn, you opened many a door for me, and been a damn good mentor in some situations. Jamie, you're my ****in' dude man, and you've always pushed me to do what I want to, no matter the reaction. Mattias, you are one of the coolest, down to earth, non-egotistical and talented producers I've had the pleasure to get to know, as well as release on my now defunct label. I have loads of love for each one of you, what connected all of us, is techno. What bought us all to this forum, is techno.

As of right now, I feel techno is evolving.
A lot of techno fans/artists, including myself feel like techno has lost the plot.
Especially those of us who came in loving the speed, and the agression of it, but the rawness of it. Techno has since evolved and become a gateway for bad producers to become exceptional soundmen.
Some producers feel the only way to flush out the bad music, is to hold techno up to the same high quality production standards as say a commercial genre.
Others feel their primary influences have changed the story, and have gone from writing anger bangers to some highly intelligent stuff. The only problem with that, is that there is an entirely empty middle ground now.

Jamie, who I know personally, like myself has that aggressive, animal side, that when we are not listening to techno, it's full on death metal.

Where as Glenn, who is also the homie, has worked on some secret projects with some lush, highly evolved soundscapes, that would make Philip Glass jizz his pants.

Mattias, has even done some dope ass house.

It's really the individual tastes, that seem to not be meeting eye to eye here.

I understand all points, but I will say everyone has a point.

I too wish Glenn wrote tracks like the Coding Sequence Ep, but people evolve into their own potential.
Same for you Mattias, I loved Cobalt, and the way you've mastered the Swedish flavor, but you too, have evolved.
Jamie, you played hands down one of the beastliest live pa's I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing, and even though you dropped iced tea on my living room floor, we love ya to death in our house!

I think some of us really, really, really miss the guts of techno, while others are definitely involved with the pushing evolution of the genre further.

Well spoken brother, thanks !

djshiva
24-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Most entertaining thread ever.

Reading random pointless internet dick-waving is always a way to alleviate boredom.

*breaks out the popcorn*

djshiva
24-10-2010, 06:40 PM
oooft thank fcuk boys... was interesting to start off with now its just gay

fcuk it if someone doesnt like stuff then fair doo's :)

I'm sorry, but all that pointless wankery was decidedly heterosexual.

MARK ANXIOUS
25-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Most entertaining thread ever.

Reading random pointless internet dick-waving is always a way to alleviate boredom.

*breaks out the popcorn*

Absolutely! Superb old school BOA style thread :wank:

clubsynthetic
04-11-2010, 05:36 PM
serious business it seems.

Techno like this is good to mix ( on decks) but not that great to listen to (not on decks)

teknorich
06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Just came across a greate example of a new, slower track (128BPM) but which keeps a good, strong Techno vibe to it:

PatrickDSP - Adam Jay - Codes (Patrick DSP Remix) - SoundCloud (http://soundcloud.com/patrickdsp/adam-jay-codes-patrick-dsp-remix)

It's definitely possible to stay dark, hard and Techno, without going to the old 140BPM speed limits. Perhaps a difficult thing to get right every time, but a push towards a more "Techno" sound is definitely a move in the right direction. I have high hopes for the Tonal Path project , as I understand that to be their aim, so gonna keep my eye on it!

gunjack
06-11-2010, 09:43 PM

um, no.

djfilthmonger
07-11-2010, 01:43 PM
um, no.

ha ha this made me rofl

gunjack
07-11-2010, 02:35 PM
anyway the tonal path tunes aren't bad at all. i think it's sophisticated and well thought out. much better than "sandwell" for example.

ethno
08-11-2010, 08:42 PM
anyway the tonal path tunes aren't bad at all. i think it's sophisticated and well thought out. much better than "sandwell" for example.

Ewww can't stand Sandwell. Def overated imo.

Mattias_Fridell
08-11-2010, 10:01 PM

Cheers, thanks man.

While I see you around here I might as well send my compliments for the "World Bleed Together" awesome track for sure.

gunjack
09-11-2010, 03:20 AM
ah man thanks for that.

i try to get all kinds of music out not just banging gunjack shit you know? i got this other project called ECHO PARK, first vinyl release out soon on ALL CITY dublin (****ING STOKED ABOUT THIS, the boy SUNIL hooked up the label contact)... feels good to break out of the banging techno mould now and then u know?

i remixed the homie TAKE today check it: TAKE: "NEON BEAMS" (ECHO PARK REMIX) (http://soundcloud.com/echoparkbeats/take-neon-beams-echo-park-remix)

lots of ppl think that because i also make tunes that are not banging, that i have "gone shit" but i always try to get another banging gunjack 12" or something similar out after a really mellow release so nobody, in the techno world, can talk shit about "GJ sold out" or whatever... also making other genres gets me stoked on techno again when i come back around to it.... all work and no play..... ;)

GJ

blistanbul
09-11-2010, 05:19 AM
interesting topic. many points were brought forward by different people.

i want to talk about the point that was raised here that not many techno artist can play any instruments.

how much do you guys think that makes a difference?

would being a good programmer or a music tehnician make up for it?

i mean i was always bit disappointed that even established artist often shy away from using keyboards? wtf?

even a mini-korg incorporated in your 'live' set would make hell of a difference.

Mattias_Fridell
09-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Gunjack: I'm right with you on your thinking.

Blistanbul, in my experience the new generation of Techno producers or guys in electronic dance music in general, seem to lack the ability to actually play instruments.
While the older guys often have a broader musical spectrum.
Myself I play piano / keyboards since early age. (I'm really into jazzy stuff, orchestral music and similiar)

I think it makes much difference honestly, the more musical experience you have the more impact it has on the music. Most of the young producers today downloads Ableton and mess with it for some months and demands releases right away, thats the way things look now.

Even if many producers doesn't play traditional instruments they should research more about the background of Techno (aswell as other music, try / learn to play and understand some basics behind music, harmony, rhythms etc) and dance music and definitively sit longer with their productions. Internet provides tons of info and tutorials when it comes to music today but I find much of everything today is lacking the soul needed.

Sometimes it really feels lots of the new tracks is "follow tutorial and internet hype ideas on music forums" machine-style, without going deeper into how stuff works and understand simple routing or and where signals flows and where they go.

Wow this kinda sound like a rant about today's new producers but I didn't intend that, theres many good new guys as well, but the majority is definitly lazy bastards :)

BloodStar
09-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I think it makes much difference honestly, the more musical experience you have the more impact it has on the music. Most of the young producers today downloads Ableton and mess with it for some months and demands releases right away, thats the way things look now.

thing is, is it noticeable from the music or not? i mean the difference between musically educated and not educated producer,. In my opinion, very often there is no difference. honestly i didnt notice any depper musicality from the trracks posted in the begining of this thread. sooo?

Mattias_Fridell
09-11-2010, 12:19 PM
I didn't say musically educated. Just that producers could be more musically motivated and experienced. Even if you can't notice it on much music it helps the artists to get the result they want faster / better / smoother etc. I mean today much producers dunno shit about how synths works even, or different processing.

BloodStar
09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Yeah I dont doubt it doesnt help artist, but my concern was. Is it noticeable in the output? Very very often, no. Then no difference between musically skilled or not skilled producer from listener point of view. We are speaking about techno music mainly..

Indeed I agree that it a must for anyone to know a synth or fx architecture before using it..

blistanbul
11-11-2010, 04:25 AM
guys i want to add another comment.

i understand some of the comments were bit off, but i see this kind of discussion very healthy indeed.

this is a discussion forum not a social network site. correct?

clubsynthetic
12-11-2010, 10:36 PM
a laptop is an instrument

teknonotice
16-11-2010, 10:20 AM
I didn't say musically educated. Just that producers could be more musically motivated and experienced. Even if you can't notice it on much music it helps the artists to get the result they want faster / better / smoother etc. I mean today much producers dunno shit about how synths works even, or different processing.

I think its a little more "plug and play" in todays music tech world. Software has made many process' simpler, quicker and easier, in order to reach out to more people. IE price of tech has come right down and access to software and tools is a massive open highway in order for the tech manufacturers to sell more kit and to a much wider audience.

Some dont need to understand the equations of signal flows etc etc..its a day of presets and "sound templates". Is that a good or bad thing? Well if you believe music is great release why would you want people to be restricted in what they can do

IMO ;)

Personally I'm an acoustic artist playing a guitar and singing for most of the time - this requires a lot more than plug and play software solutions and a mouse!! Recording such live instruments IMO can be a little more challenging than operating software.

As you can appreciate acoustics start playing a part as do simple things like mic positioning and quality of leads/positioning of leads. (if only my lappy would play a Gibson guitar sound and it sound like a Gibson!)

Understanding scales, music, chord progressions and how to play an instrument should improve your ability to make electronic music..

I move onto making techno and I become impatient. I'm happy bashing my programmed loops out to annoy the community and release some pent up aggresion and energy but it certainly is in its rawest form and done with drum machines.

my point..im not quite sure..

Jamies stuff is well intense and raw where as tonals new stuff a little more laid back and finely constructed..

time and a place for both "types" I feel and more than enough welcoming ears waiting to have a listen or spin it in their set.

Looking forward to hear more Tonal Path as personally I like it.

teknonotice
16-11-2010, 10:24 AM

interesting.

why?

Mattias_Fridell
16-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I think its a little more "plug and play" in todays music tech world. Software has made many process' simpler, quicker and easier, in order to reach out to more people. IE price of tech has come right down and access to software and tools is a massive open highway in order for the tech manufacturers to sell more kit and to a much wider audience.

Some dont need to understand the equations of signal flows etc etc..its a day of presets and "sound templates". Is that a good or bad thing? Well if you believe music is great release why would you want people to be restricted in what they can do

IMO ;)

Personally I'm an acoustic artist playing a guitar and singing for most of the time - this requires a lot more than plug and play software solutions and a mouse!! Recording such live instruments IMO can be a little more challenging than operating software.

As you can appreciate acoustics start playing a part as do simple things like mic positioning and quality of leads/positioning of leads. (if only my lappy would play a Gibson guitar sound and it sound like a Gibson!)

Understanding scales, music, chord progressions and how to play an instrument should improve your ability to make electronic music..

I move onto making techno and I become impatient. I'm happy bashing my programmed loops out to annoy the community and release some pent up aggresion and energy but it certainly is in its rawest form and done with drum machines.

my point..im not quite sure..

Jamies stuff is well intense and raw where as tonals new stuff a little more laid back and finely constructed..

time and a place for both "types" I feel and more than enough welcoming ears waiting to have a listen or spin it in their set.

Looking forward to hear more Tonal Path as personally I like it.

I agree with all of the above, but would like to add some points.
I would instead say that templates and presets restricts people rather then the give freedom. Much of the fun is to know how the machines (virtual or not) works and how you can control them, instead of them controlling you :D

Well put with the "Understanding scales, music, chord progressions and how to play an instrument should improve your ability to make electronic music.."

That's exactly my point :)

teknonotice
16-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I agree with all of the above, but would like to add some points.
I would instead say that templates and presets restricts people rather then the give freedom. Much of the fun is to know how the machines (virtual or not) works and how you can control them, instead of them controlling you :D

Well put with the "Understanding scales, music, chord progressions and how to play an instrument should improve your ability to make electronic music.."

That's exactly my point :)

:)

oh yeah templates will always restrict - fully agree..think writing replies early morning isn't advised after little sleep ;)

knowing how to tune all your different sounds and layers and having a trained or natural musicians ear SHOULD assist in any music making process. Perhaps more so with big dance anthems, trance - more melody driven dance genres. This said it can make all the difference to a techno track when transposed, or put together with chords and scales in mind. Some naturally fit, some don't. Any sound has a pitch/tune and an be wound down or up.

A trained composer: a pianist for example, may also be more effective at narratives - the actual structure of the song. A music reader may understand intros, bridges etc a little more. Space within the score. Timing - letting it "simmer"

I wonder how many DJ's or producers actually know the sound of a G chord ;)

JamieBall
30-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Yer a ****ing spastic, Rikki B, seriously .... They teach this nonsense at that college of yours ? ;-P

JamieBall
30-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Here's a puzzler... What if someone is musically talented but has never picked up a guitar or sat at a keyboard/drumkit or whatever. Actually, scratch that, remove 'drumkit' from the last sentence as everyone knows drummers are unmusical and/or retarded... ANYHOO - My point here being that they may DISCOVER a knack for making music by being exposed to digital methods of doing so - the fact that they can't play guitar in the 1st place doesn't NECCESARILY mean they're not 'cut out' for making "music".

I don't like it when musicality is implied in music, as in 'you're not clever enough to understand whats happening in that track'. Basically, something either works or fails and no amount of anally retentive self belief will change that fact. There should be no real need to go on about the fact that you're an amazing 'musician' or competent at this or that instrument when, in basic fact, the music you're showcasing demonstrates none of this supposed 'skill'.

My point, also, is that many people claim to play this and that instrument but how many of these folks have ever had an official release that is not just plain old techno ? Hmmmm.

Ultimately, unless it's obvious in the music, there's no real reason to bolster your releases with claims that really don't relate to the end output aside from the shamelessly self serving pursuit of 'feeling smug about onesself' ;-)

JamieBall
30-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Here's a puzzler... What if someone is musically talented but has never picked up a guitar or sat at a keyboard/drumkit or whatever. Actually, scratch that, remove 'drumkit' from the last sentence as everyone knows drummers are unmusical and/or retarded... ANYHOO - My point here being that they may DISCOVER a knack for making music by being exposed to digital methods of doing so - the fact that they can't play guitar in the 1st place doesn't NECCESARILY mean they're not 'cut out' for making "music".

I don't like it when musicality is implied in music, as in 'you're not clever enough to understand whats happening in that track'. Basically, something either works or fails and no amount of anally retentive self belief will change that fact. There should be no real need to go on about the fact that you're an amazing 'musician' or competent at this or that instrument when, in basic fact, the music you're showcasing demonstrates none of this supposed 'skill'.

My point, also, is that many people claim to play this and that instrument but how many of these folks have ever had an official release that is not just plain old techno ? Hmmmm.

Ultimately, unless it's obvious in the music, there's no real reason to bolster your releases with claims that really don't relate to the end output aside from the shamelessly self serving pursuit of 'feeling smug about onesself' ;-)

This is just a general musing, btw, it's not directed at anyone in particular.
(before you all start crying. AGAIN...)

;-)

278d7e64a374de26f==