PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool sale

SlavikSvensk
12-10-2010, 04:56 PM
pretty interesting, though the financial details are a bit confusing!

Liverpool judgement awaits on Wednesday morning - Barclays Premier League - ESPN Soccernet (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=831661&sec=england&cc=5901)

would be interested to know what liverpool fans think of all this. if they are sold to new england sports ventures, then i can say from experience (they own my baseball team, the boston red sox) that this is probably a good thing. the red sox are managed well, always turn a profit and invest heavily in winning (they've won 2 of the past 7 championships).

Esox Lucius
12-10-2010, 06:08 PM
well being an evertonian I hope the red soxs owners are as useless as hicks and gillett, no offence dude :rubiggrin: god bless hicks and gillett. :rubiggrin:

on another note i really want to go to boston on st paddys day and see the chicago river turn green, looks cool as **** :cool2:

liverpool for the championship next season hahaahahahhahahahahahahaha

SlavikSvensk
12-10-2010, 06:51 PM
the chicago river is in chicago, not boston, but both would be good st. paddys day destinations. boston is the most irish city in america, so that would probably be the best one, but chicago's a fantastic place too. plus this is what you want to see:

http://www.jaunted.com/files/3/chicago_river_2008.jpg

DannyBlack
12-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm heading to Boston on the 27th of this month.

Esox Lucius
12-10-2010, 07:57 PM
the chicago river is in chicago, not boston, but both would be good st. paddys day destinations. boston is the most irish city in america, so that would probably be the best one, but chicago's a fantastic place too. plus this is what you want to see:

http://www.jaunted.com/files/3/chicago_river_2008.jpg

my bad, i got told the river that runs through boston is called the chicago river, but think i was mistaken and both rivers in each city are coloured green? i admit i know shit about the states. :rubiggrin:

basslinejunkie
12-10-2010, 08:54 PM
they seem a good buyer,but the thing im dubious about is if they have the financial clout to make a difference in the world of football. we need to buy at least 3 20+ mill players to compete at the top of football.

Spacehopper
12-10-2010, 09:25 PM
I read of some Liverpool forum that this NESV would be willing to splash out on players, but would'nt engage in bidding wars.....basically if they feel the price is right, then they'll go ahead with it.....and as you say we definitely need at least 3 players that will cost in the region of 20 million.....striker, and a winger or 2...

not sure if id rather have owners like NESV that will pretty much give us stability, no debt and the satisfaction that the club is being run properly or some multi billionaire that has no experience in the sports industry but will throw money about for us to buy whoever we want

Esox Lucius
12-10-2010, 09:37 PM
you cant just blame the yanks, the players arent pulling their weight and dont seem to care. you defo need to strengthen your squad, and a new gaffer. hodgson isnt a good enough gaffer for a team like liverpool.

obviously i think its ****in hilarious but i will admit liverpool dont deserve to be in the state they are.

SlavikSvensk
13-10-2010, 04:50 PM
they seem a good buyer,but the thing im dubious about is if they have the financial clout to make a difference in the world of football. we need to buy at least 3 20+ mill players to compete at the top of football.

going by how they approach baseball, the answer is yes. the boston red sox are the 2nd richest team in the league, and spend the 2nd most on players, around $160m/year.

that's not huge money for a champions league caliber football club, but keep in mind champions league caliber football club are generally more lucrative than american baseball clubs. what matters here is the relative level of spending, namely, that NESV are willing to spend near the top to consistently finish near the top. it won't be chelsea, but man u level spending is likely, if they take over.

the other potentially important lesson from NESV's experience in baseball is that they've been at the forefront of using new statistical models to evaluate non-star players. that's led to them pulling in a lot of fairly inexpensive guys who other clubs ignored, but end up being really productive. obviously the two sports are lightyears apart, but i'd be happy with ownership that's committed not only to spending on stars, but making sure the roster is productive from top to bottom.

Esox Lucius
17-10-2010, 07:25 AM
"theres 2 shit teams in liverpool, liverpool and everton"

thats my modern day interpretation of the famous shankly quote

today should be an interesting game as we are both useless at the moment, im going for a diplomatic draw. **** me it will be depressing in the pub today, my local is a mixed pub reds and blues.

COYB

blistanbul
17-10-2010, 02:42 PM
another uk team gone horrible.

yippers.

and the red sox sux a big one, yankees number one.

secondly there was an article in the states how hypocritical the uk fanbasee were.

for example even though the english think they are fighting the man, the big bad us business, in reality their teams are financially very capitalism indeed.

in nfl for instance we have a salary cap but in premier league you no such thing.

that is why you have man u, chelski winning the cup every year.

and that is why we had arizona cardinals, st louis rams, baltimore ravens winning or hitting the finals.

kind of true except not in mlb and the nba is going that route too not for salary reasons but player gangs as i like to call it.

DarkYoung
17-10-2010, 02:45 PM

yippers.

secondly there was an article in the states how hypocritical the uk fanbasee were.

for example even though the english think they are fighting the man, the big bad us business, in reality their teams are financially very capitalism indeed.

in nfl for instance we have a salary cap but in premier league you no such thing.

and that is why we had arizona cardinals, st louis rams, baltimore ravens winning or hitting the finals.

kind of true except not in mlb and the nba is going that route too not for salary reasons but player gangs as i like to call it.

looks liverpool could get relegated.

getting hammered by everton.

blistanbul
17-10-2010, 03:44 PM
focking great.

arse-nal all the way son.

Esox Lucius
17-10-2010, 05:06 PM
hahahaha looks like liverpools derby next season will be preston :rubiggrin::rubiggrin::rubiggrin::rubiggrin:

DarkYoung
17-10-2010, 05:21 PM
hahahaha looks like liverpools derby next season will be preston :rubiggrin::rubiggrin::rubiggrin::rubiggrin:
accrington stanley ina few seaons!

SlavikSvensk
17-10-2010, 07:52 PM

yippers.

yes, the yankees are better than the red sox right now, but the sox have won twice in the past decade. how many times has liverpool won the premiership? NESV will never spend like chelski, but they manage teams well from a personnel standpoint, always turn a profit, and should make liverpool competitive without incurring massive debts. i think that's a net win over the current ownership.

as for the salary cap, i think it's the greatest invention in professional sports...ensures that small teams can compete, and beat, large ones in big markets. but the NFL is a very unique league. because there are so few games in a season, people watch games without their local team in greater proportions than in other sports. this, in turn, fuels the NFL's massive TV contract, and helps spread out viewership beyond a given team's fanbase. this is, IMO, what makes the salary cap possible.

premier league football and MLB baseball are very different in this regard, and it would be much weirder for chelsea to share revenue with bolton wanderers, or the ny yankees to share with the milwaukee brewers.

it might work if there was ever a european super-league (top 5-6 teams each from england, germany, france, spain and italy).

Esox Lucius
24-10-2010, 11:44 AM
right back to business, lets hope blackburn give the red shite a hiding today. :yup:

djfase
24-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I was hoping theyd go into administration and then bust.

278d7e64a374de26f==