PDA

View Full Version : Red Line'ing...

FuK-NuT
28-10-2010, 11:59 PM
One of the first things i learned when beginning to dj almost 15 years ago was the control of levels...its not a hard thing to learn, makes life easier behind the decks, doesn't wreck yours and the audiences ears, speaker in tacked ...AND sounds so much better etc etc!!

you would think in this day and age people would have cottoned on by now but NO, im actually
gob smacked at the amount of performers regarded as top dons of this scene still haven't
learned to play within the green...full reds all the way at times not even retracing on a break..

just a bit of a rant looking thro some pics!!

sort it out ya'll lol

FuK-NuT
29-10-2010, 12:00 AM
infact might have some fun wi this an name an shame with pics an vids..

the "red line monkey" files...

FuK-NuT
29-10-2010, 12:05 AM
mr Ben sims...

bit of an idol when it comes to the funk....but mon m8 sort it oot lol

http://i30.tinypic.com/30vdpv7.jpg

FuK-NuT
29-10-2010, 12:21 AM
redlining round the globe with Axel Karakasis...

YouTube - Globe-trotting with Axel Karakasis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20a6-6nA3EA&feature=share)

FuK-NuT
29-10-2010, 12:37 AM
THE MIXER IS NOT THE AMP...

shall post more as and when i find "the monkeys"...

to be continued...

hows the tinnitus?

morbid
29-10-2010, 12:55 AM
then theres some DJ's with no ****ing manners at all

http://www.bangingtunes.com/Img/User/Posts/LockoMotive_32ae74e7-f40f-4e66-b8b9-0f49b09ebe29.jpg

FuK-NuT
29-10-2010, 01:21 AM
thats trance music for u...lol too much time on your hands ;)

basslinejunkie
29-10-2010, 11:23 AM
my mate does this, whacks everything up!! drives me mad.

FuK-NuT
29-10-2010, 12:23 PM
its crazy man... i know reds prettier than green but k'mon!

ive witnessed first hand well knowns wacking every dial round untill it cant
go any further....

dan the acid man
30-10-2010, 04:45 PM
This is a pet hate of mine too.

Like you say it's amazing how many big names do this.

ritaheed
30-10-2010, 05:18 PM
fcuk it, a would rather have it louder than "keeping your levels"

as long as its not destroying the place then a dont really see whats wrong with it

most established dj's do it, part of the fun with banging it out

FuK-NuT
30-10-2010, 07:41 PM
sounds crap....want it louder then ask the sound engineer or turn up the amp ;)

qUE
30-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Dunno where I stand about this...

Overdriving stuff does add dimension to the dynamics when used correctly. It depends whether you understand modulation and you can work the sounds to create all the wonderful and weird harmonics.

Of course just maxing everything and making a standard rigs compression unit push all the audio into the mid-range is just bad. But then I personally hate compression, it's overused and a generally cheap and nasty effect, it's one of the many reasons I bought my own system.

Mattias_Fridell
30-10-2010, 11:54 PM
On DJ mixers there's usually a lot of headroom to manage to not go into distortion and clip when playing in red. It requires a lot gain to smash up distortion on say a DJM mixer. Someone mentioned the mixer aint the amp which is kind of true but still smashing the red diods aint healthy to the peak amount hehe. Some red on a the good mixers isnt bad.

JamieBall
04-11-2010, 10:14 AM
One of the first things i learned when beginning to dj almost 15 years ago was the control of levels...its not a hard thing to learn, makes life easier behind the decks, doesn't wreck yours and the audiences ears, speaker in tacked ...AND sounds so much better etc etc!!

you would think in this day and age people would have cottoned on by now but NO, im actually
gob smacked at the amount of performers regarded as top dons of this scene still haven't
learned to play within the green...full reds all the way at times not even retracing on a break..

just a bit of a rant looking thro some pics!!

sort it out ya'll lol

Milky, you're a poof.

There are many reasons why people do this, none of them relating to colourblindness.

When I wanted to make life easier behind the decks I had a small table and a winerack installed. I'm thinking about putting in a shower and a toilet next.

JamieBall
04-11-2010, 10:21 AM
fcuk it, a would rather have it louder than "keeping your levels"

as long as its not destroying the place then a dont really see whats wrong with it

most established dj's do it, part of the fun with banging it out

Indeed. You don't get folks at metal gigs giving it "oh, the harmonic frequencies of the guitars are being obscured by the overdriven bass presence". They just jump around like maniacs and enjoy the total headphuk of sound.

Future music have a lot to answer for.

I mean, Milky, you might as well chuck production into the net too and say "anyone who red-lines ANY mixing desk is a bad boy and doesn't know anything about sound design". In actuality, it's a perfectly sensible way to behave - if you understand what can be obtained from such an action and apply such knowledge accordingly.

clubsynthetic
04-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Sometimes it depends what thresholds are set on limiter/compressors and how loud the engineer has the system turned up. If its the signal amplitude is too low then DJs might feel the need to turn the mixer levels up..

But in the case of a big show with a crisp sound system... tut tut

and too much gain through a limiter without auto gain? Bye bye sound system..

clubsynthetic
04-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Oh and I have seen engineer calibrate a system so that to get the right volume you are supposed to red line it (probably because of the DJs who have in the past), so seeing it in a picture doesn't mean to say they might do it all the time..

DannyBlack
04-11-2010, 06:30 PM
The crusties are cunts for it. Speaker farting like crazy. really ****s me off.

JamieBall
05-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Danny, you could simplify that last post substantially by just cutting it down to the first four words - totally gets the point across ;-)

djfilthmonger
05-11-2010, 11:31 AM
****ing crusties ha remember playing after one before he had all the gains and low,mids,hi's maxed out turned the whole way up and playing that bloody Hardtek shite. and he after blowing a few speakers , what a tramp he smelled too

gunjack
05-11-2010, 02:07 PM
i think the habitual redlining comes from sound guys being far away from the DJ and not having a radio etc so they can communicate...

278d7e64a374de26f==