PDA

View Full Version : Getting Midi Controller to work

Mika Silo
17-02-2004, 07:47 PM
I've bought a Evolution UC-16 today, but I'm having trouble getting it to work properly.. in fact, it doesn't work at all :)
I'm Using SX2 and I've read the manual ("remote controlling the mixer"), but I still can't figure out how to get it to work..
I've connected it via USB.. then I go to 'Device Setup', select 'All MIDI Inputs' going to the 'Add/Remove' tab. Then I see that this particular device isn't listed, so I select 'Generic Remote' and add it.. is this correct??

Presuming all above mentioned actions are correct I now select the 'Generic Remote' to see its Setup at the right..
I tried all kinds of stuff here, but all without result.. here's how I thought it should be done:
- setting 'Midi Input' on 'All Midi Inputs'
- setting 'Midi Output' on 'Not Connected'
- then I leave all the settings in both tables pretty much the same except for the 'Adress' column in the upper table, wich I set to the corresponding CC number (BTW: can you get a list, inside of Cubase, listing al CC numbers and corresponding params for a particular VSTi??)
- then i tried setting 'Device' in the lower table to (for example) Junglist and I'm happy to see that in the 'Value/Action' column I can now choose from al the params of Junglist... but unfortunately still nothing happens when applying these settings :(

Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong? Anyone had the same problem?

Any help would be very much appreciated!! :)

greetz

Dustin Zahn
17-02-2004, 07:51 PM
I just read that the Evolution UC-33 doesn't work correctly with SX2. :(
It works fine with SX though. Steinberg did something to the midi programming rendering a lot of controllers (including their own Houston) useless. There might already be a fix out for this, but I doubt it. It's a damn shame on Steinberg's part...so don't throw the UC-33 out yet, it's Steinberg's fault!

Mika Silo
17-02-2004, 08:14 PM
pfff that sucks bigtime! :cry:
I checked there site for any patches, but couldn't find any :(
I hope there will be a solution soon becuase I dont feel like switching back to SX :/

Thnx for the info anyway! and at least I've set it up right ;)

DJZeMig_L
18-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Yep that's a prob with SX2 and Nuendo 2 :(

Have u looked in the steinberg.net... there might b some1 with a solution in they're forum!!! or try the sos forum, there r a few geeks there...

I would definatly write evolution/ midiman asking them for a patch that actually works!!!

Z

Dustin Zahn
18-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Its out of Evolution/Midiman's hands...right Steinberg...they ****ed up.

Mika Silo
18-02-2004, 02:15 PM
I couldn't find a lot of specific info on this, but at least I get the UC-16 working with most VSTi's and the Mixer.. but unfortunately not with the VST fx :(
Is this due to SX2? or isn't it even possible to remote control fx at all??

DJZeMig_L
18-02-2004, 03:50 PM
SX 2 especific prob. but U can configure thru the generic remote but it is a drag 2 do :(

Z

Mika Silo
19-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Z could you explain in detail how to remote control VST fx using generic remote? When I choose Mixer/VST Mixer as Device and the channel I have the fx on as Channel/Category I can only select some Mixer related functions as Value/Action and not the params of the insert fx :s You know what I'm doing wrong?

DJZeMig_L
19-02-2004, 01:40 PM
In fact I don't m8... I'll have 2 check... I'll get back 2 ya!!

Z

Mika Silo
20-02-2004, 04:10 PM
ok thnx mate! I tried everything I could think of, so I hope you can help me out with this..

DJZeMig_L
21-02-2004, 10:06 PM
From what I could muster u can't use a remote 2 control parameters on the efxs the most u can do is control stuff like sends, pre-post, levels/ dry , wet etc... :(

Z

Mika Silo
24-02-2004, 05:14 PM
hmm that's a pity :/ thanks for the info anyway! (Y)

DJZeMig_L
24-02-2004, 10:02 PM
U can use most of the settings with sx's automation... which in most cases is more then enought. Main settings, efx enable on/of... send level dry/wet can b controlled so this will prove enought 4 almost all applycations!! The only difficulty can b playing live otherwise u can get away with the mentioned automation!

Z

Mika Silo
01-03-2004, 09:18 PM
sry for the late response. i did a search on cubase.net and found the following topics related to remote controlling fx params:
http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum2/HTML/057379.html
http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum2/HTML/054423.html
http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum2/HTML/059359.html

So I'm now thinking about switching back to SX1, because it seems that contolling fx params is no problem in this version.. please correct me in time if i'm wrong ;)

Is there anyone that has the same problem?? Becuase being able to remote control fx params would speed up my production process bigtime..
Is it possible in other sequencers like Sonar?

Cheers!

DJZeMig_L
02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Unfortunatly can't tell ya for sure right now.. I haven't had sx 1 for quite a while :(

But I know 01v worked like a charm as a controller for Sx1 and it's quite shi**y with sx 2! :(

Z

Mika Silo
05-03-2004, 01:27 PM
i've decided to keep using sx2 for now and just hope for a patch/update of some kind in the future..

thnx for all the help Z! :)

greetz mika

DJZeMig_L
05-03-2004, 04:35 PM
no prob. lots of ppl pis* of with steinberg because of these... I'm 1 of them as my old 01v was luvely 2 control SX's audio mixer and now my 01v96 is hopeless! :(

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==