PDA

View Full Version : Speedy J in Toronto 2010 - quick fan review

Veber
01-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Speedy J + Holloween = welcome to hell
Adam Weber fan review (unedited)

Well,

There's only one person on this board that knows what the night was already like and thats Patrick DSP and Pauze? It was like ThE E! SpacE! back in the day... and the night was a spitting image of a night 15years ago in the basement of a meat packing warehouse - were there was no security and no rules. The set was just like a techno set that Paladin or THC would've played.

Footwork is a small place that can get infected with overcapacity very easily. Thankfully either because of the door people or the multiple events going on - that didn't happen.

A wall of bassbins and proper sound was in the club. The system was jacked up a total of 3-4 times during the night to peak around 2.30-3 during Speedy's set.

Lee osborne came out proper with thumpin basic techno on the dark side with a very linear composition. He never topped anything out but kept it at a good level. Jaime Kidd came on briefly and brought the atmosphere down a couple notches.

When speedy came on - We were expecting some minimal to start it out. But it was already 1am or later so I believe he decided to get right into it - which he did.

I was going to write an official review - but that would have taken time off the dancefloor taking notes and I've been waiting too long for a dance experience like this - so I didnt take notes and just entranced myself in the music for 4hrs.

Set was blistering evil / relentless / non-forgiving / sadist / hard / dark and anything else you can think of. There was about 3 different basslines that he works off of. Simply amazing and strange. Forming all tracks as he saw fit, one effect blew my mind. Producer or others may understand this:
Lets say there is 8 banks of loops, 3 are your bass's and the other 5 are misc. drums/snares/hats. He would leave the 3 basslines alone, and 2 of the hats/snares/drums. With the other 3 snares/hats section, he would group them together and put them through an ESP that would speed up-slow down the entire group - pulling it away from the track. Either slowing them down to 0 or taking them up to 100, pull them out and bring them back in. It was a surreal strange effect and showed a mastery of the technology and live performance. I've never heard anything like it and it really took you on a mind trip.

I danced almost the entire set until my legs gave out. I never knew that could happen. wow. I will never hear a set like that again and i was literally feeling like it was 95' again in a deep underground basement listening to dutch techno. .. simply an amazing night - and #1 of life of darkest set ever heard. (sorry paladin/thc)

A

teknorich
01-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Nice one, thanks for this Adam! You don;t see many review of club nights/DJ sets posted, so cheers for putting it up.

Good to hear that Speedy J is still banging it out. I saw him a few years back at Voodoo in Liverpool, in the dark, basement of the club, and he really tore it up. Excellent set, easily one of the darkest/roughest I have ever heard. What I've heard from him in recent times has been good quality music, but a lot slower and less full-on than he used to play, so I'm definitely interested to hear that he hasn't fully left his old style behind.

I'd love to hear a recording of this set, but that's probably asking too much!

force
02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Yes.
Im dying to hear it now!

Veber
02-11-2010, 11:03 PM
well..doubt it...sets like these never make the net....

278d7e64a374de26f==