PDA

View Full Version : How to make my equipment work together?

dem1983
05-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Okay,

I have a prblem here. My studio setup is like this. I have a laptop with FruityLoops on it. Problem is, the computer doesn't have enough storage space to save all my songs. So I bought a BOSS BR-1180CD DAW to store and master my music. My studio also consists of a Yamaha RM1X and an Edirol PCR-30 MIDI Keyboard Controller. I know how to make my Edirol, RM1X, and BR-1180 work together.
But the problem is with (FruityLoops - RM1X - BR-1180) together. Lets see if I can explain this clearly.
I now realize that I can control the RM1X with FruityLoops, no problem there. But what about after I am done making the song in Fruity? I mean, I could just use the RM1X by itself, but FruityLoops is a good program. I want to know if it is possible to export my finished song off of my laptop onto the BR-1180.
I know they have USB to MIDI cables. This is what I need in order to slave the RM1X to FruityLoops. Can I hook one of these up to my laptop and BR-1180, and be able to take my songs off of my laptop and put them onto the BR-1180?
See my problem. I would like to use my hardware sequencer with my software sequncer, but don't know if I can. Hope someone can shed some light on the subject.

I literally feel like doing this from all the frustration this equipment has given me--> :cry:

DJZeMig_L
06-02-2003, 12:21 AM
Hey,

I hope I have understood yer prob. correctly.

I not absolutly sure what the boss BR is so I guess if it is a hd recorder, u just record 2 one track the output of yer laptop, and 2 another the out of yer RM1x.

If the boss is a simple seq. (which puzzles me why U'd need it, if the RM1x as a pretty decent 1)... then I guess it a mater of using Cubase, then use fruity as a VST i... then u just record 2 one track the output of yer laptop, and 2 another the out of yer RM1x.

lemme know if this is in any way the solution/ answer u where looking 4!

Z

dem1983
06-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Hey,

Thanks for your reply. To clear things up, the Boss BR-1180CD is a DAW(Digital Audio Workstation). It basically does what my computer would do if it had the memory. It is a recorder, but not a sequencer, which is why I bought the RM1x. So my studio works fine with the hardware the way it is, with the Edirol keyboard controller hooked up to the RM1x and creating the music in there, and then exporting it out onto the BR-1180 to be recorded, stored, mastered, and eventually burned onto a cd.
But I also have a not-so-powerful laptop with FruityLoops on it. I can us the Edirol to control Fruity also. I found out that the RM1x can be slaved to FruityLoops with Fruity as the master, but does this mean that the song will be recorded in Fruity or the RM1x? I am new to all of this, so I am unfamiliar with the whole slave and master thing. I am guessing that the sound will be recorded in Fruity. If so, is it possible to export the song off of my laptop through the USB port and onto the BR-1180? See what I mean?
Thanks for your help! :)

278d7e64a374de26f==