PDA

View Full Version : your got to bass vsts?

fils_here
21-11-2010, 08:25 PM
just wondering what everyone uses for there bass?
i've been hammering sylenth & getting some good sounds.

kindelsesh
28-11-2010, 05:24 PM
You can get some really nice sounds out of Crystal been messing with that alot lately.

Logic's ESM is my go to bass atm though.

rhythmtech
28-11-2010, 06:15 PM
fxpansion strobe
audiorealism bassline
spectrasonics trillian

Jay Pace
28-11-2010, 07:56 PM
reason - subtractor (love love love that synth)
Albino

Mattias_Fridell
03-12-2010, 11:21 AM
D16 Toraverb, 112dB Redline Verb, Lexicon hardware reverb, NI Massive & NI reaktor

DannyBlack
03-12-2010, 01:28 PM
NI Massive, Sylenth, TAL Elec7ro (lovely warm sub and it's free) and a bunch of others that I can't think of.

Mattias_Fridell
03-12-2010, 02:30 PM
TAL Elec7ro is a nice one for basses for sure, but I never really use it for Techno bottoms, the TAL reverb is ok for the same cause also.

Honeey
03-12-2010, 06:44 PM
reese machine
trilogy
albino
junglist

Mattias_Fridell
03-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Interesting that so many mentions using synths for bass, you use synths to create bass-lines all the way or? I just usually use synths for bass when I need to fill gaps in the bottom region besides that my synths are only for every other type of sound. I know poducers still today using Sinus to create their basslines which I personally think sounds pretty bad and uninteresting.

ritaheed
03-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Interesting that so many mentions using synths for bass, you use synths to create bass-lines all the way or? I just usually use synths for bass when I need to fill gaps in the bottom region besides that my synths are only for every other type of sound. I know poducers still today using Sinus to create their basslines which I personally think sounds pretty bad and uninteresting.

you talking about sub bass? if so how you make your sub bass and what do you do for your basslines?

Mattias_Fridell
03-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I use different methods, depends on how and in which direction the track goes. I don't know should I reveal the way I make my basses and bottoms? :) I usually get lots of questions about my basses/subs when I get stuck in discussions about productions. A hint is up there in my post what plugins I use for it ;)

Elvio Neto
05-12-2010, 04:18 AM
many people use filtered toms and congas... or bass samples...

i like subtractor , reaktor , generator 1.5 (old reaktor) , albino

DannyBlack
05-12-2010, 05:18 AM
for sub I use a sine run through 3x oscillator.

Mattias_Fridell
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Danny, interesting. My guess is you step the sines together with the kick to make the kick sub more? Many minimal producers use sine, but for making fat moving bass lines and moving subs its pretty thin and useless for my own taste. Sine is so limited, compression and EQ:ing basically does nothing for it, esp EQ does nothing. Anyone know where the sine-bass craze came from?

rhythmtech
05-12-2010, 02:24 PM
the reason a sine is used is that you can pick your frequency to match the original kick (say 50hz) and absolutly no harmonics or additional musical information is added whatsoever.

... meaning that there is absolutly no need to eq it.

(the reason eq doesnt work is because it is only one frequency - you could find the exact frequency and then eq will work but its pointless as all you could do is make the signal louder or quieter).

Mattias_Fridell
05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
the reason a sine is used is that you can pick your frequency to match the original kick (say 50hz) and absolutly no harmonics or additional musical information is added whatsoever.

... meaning that there is absolutly no need to eq it.

(the reason eq doesnt work is because it is only one frequency - you could find the exact frequency and then eq will work but its pointless as all you could do is make the signal louder or quieter).

Exactly, that's my point when it comes to sine, hence I find it pretty bad and uninteresting to use for bass and dont get it why its such a "popular"concept and suggested by so many when people ask for ideas to bass.
So again, anyone know where the sine craze came from? I'm genuinely interested.

Jay Pace
05-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Sine bass smacks on a big system. Simples

DannyBlack
05-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Danny, interesting. My guess is you step the sines together with the kick to make the kick sub more? Many minimal producers use sine, but for making fat moving bass lines and moving subs its pretty thin and useless for my own taste. Sine is so limited, compression and EQ:ing basically does nothing for it, esp EQ does nothing. Anyone know where the sine-bass craze came from?

Basically yeah, pretty much. I'm not sure why I started using it tbh. I just wanted a fatter kick and a bit of rumble to make the kick and the sub kinda of blend together. My kick used to stand out too much. I've just developed it to my taste since the start.

I don't find it limited really because I only use it for one thing really. I don't bother compressing it at all, I use subtle EQing. but other than that, not much else.

Mattias_Fridell
05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
When (and this isn't often) I use sine, I just put it decayed on the kick marks. No need to EQ it, doesn't help, just lower the volume. Tbh Saw or similar is much better to create subby basses or undertones on the kicks.

One of my 2 methods I always use for bottoms in my Techno tracks is the good classic reverb method, it's unbeatable :)

Hey Jay, love your "Jengalord" track, class!

(http://soundcloud.com/jaypace/jay-pace-jengalord-original-mix-bulletdodge-records)

DannyBlack
05-12-2010, 03:57 PM
I didn't think of decaying it on the kick. I'll give that a try, Mat- cheers. Saw; I like saw I just haven't used it a whole lot to really know what I'm doing. But a change is always good I guess. I shall try it out. Again, cheers :)

BranLanen
05-12-2010, 06:50 PM
When I use software for doing some bass I often use Native Instruments FM7/FM8, also liked Massive from NI but I don't know enough about it, I only used factory presets as they come or slightly modified...

fils_here
05-12-2010, 07:56 PM
some intresting tips & ideas on this subject, cheers all.

Mattias_Fridell
06-12-2010, 06:07 PM
I made 3 examples of bottoms / subs I like as the foundation of my tracks, and no sine to be found anywhere:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3913404/fridell_example01.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3913404/fridell_example02.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3913404/fridell_example03.mp3

DannyBlack
06-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Nice one Mat, Il listen when I get home :D

ritaheed
06-12-2010, 06:29 PM
I use different methods, depends on how and in which direction the track goes. I don't know should I reveal the way I make my basses and bottoms? :) I usually get lots of questions about my basses/subs when I get stuck in discussions about productions. A hint is up there in my post what plugins I use for it ;)

yeah man ofcourse you should want to tell us, why would you not wanna tell us? :)

at the end of the day im sure at some point someone sat you down and should you a trick or two ;)

ritaheed
06-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I made 3 examples of bottoms / subs I like as the foundation of my tracks, and no sine to be found anywhere:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3913404/fridell_example01.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3913404/fridell_example02.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3913404/fridell_example03.mp3

these bassline's/subs are brilliant, go on mattias do a tutorial :) :)

help us (small) producers out, its not like were gna steal your crown man ;)

Mattias_Fridell
06-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Naw I'm not worried about "stealing my crown" haha, I just find its a well kept secret among Techno producers, maybe they all go after me and smash 1210s to my head haha.

Well anyways.....here goes then:

In example 01 its by far the most effective way to make moving subs, and it's really easy.

1. Take any kick, do what you feel with it ,compression / EQing etc.
2. Add a reverb (with early, late, pre-delay operation) to a send channel.
3. Send the reverb to your kick. Don't send too much of it.
4. Side-chain the send channel you put the reverb on with your kick.
5. Make the reverb channel MONO, and add a low-pass filter.
6. Set the low-pass to filter everything from 200Hz & up (try different Hz)

Now you'll hear how the "bass" will react to your kick for real and it will follow the kicks tone, accent and intonation. So from here its really just to experiment with reveb times, decay, pre-delays / early-late, diffusion to make it sit tight and move nicely. Increase & decrease the send value to the kick till you find a nice balance, you can insert effects on the reverb send channel, compress the reverbs and gate it, add pitch effects to it and what not. You dont really need side chain for this but its nice, but either works.

You can hear this kind of "bass / sub" far far back in the history of techno really, its pretty amazing it been so hidden among the circle of fellow producers etc. Or maybe ya'll knew this already haha.

Edit: What I would recommend for this when it comes to software is 112dB redline reverb, d16 Toraverb, 2C Aether, the logic reverbs, Waves Maxxbass Mono (for experimenting with bass harmony), SIR, Ambience, Lexcion verbs

Honeey
06-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Naw I'm not worried about "stealing my crown" haha, I just find its a well kept secret among Techno producers, maybe they all go after me and smash 1210s to my head haha.

In example 01 its by far the most effective way to make moving subs, and it's really easy.

Now you'll hear how the "bass" will react to your kick for real and it will follow the kicks tone, accent and intonation. So from here its really just to experiment with reveb times, decay, pre-delays / early-late, diffusion to make it sit tight and move nicely. Increase & decrease the send value to the kick till you find a nice balance, you can insert effects on the reverb send channel, compress the reverbs and gate it, add pitch effects to it and what not. You dont really need side chain for this but its nice, but either works.

You can hear this kind of "bass / sub" far far back in the history of techno really, its pretty amazing it been so hidden among the circle of fellow producers etc. Or maybe ya'll knew this already haha.

Edit: What I would recommend for this when it comes to software is 112dB redline reverb, d16 Toraverb, 2C Aether, the logic reverbs, Waves Maxxbass Mono (for experimenting with bass harmony), SIR, Ambience, Lexcion verbs

Thank you!!!!! :)

Winds
06-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Thanks!

rhythmtech
06-12-2010, 08:07 PM

i cant believe you just told them dude :ruretard:

now we have to kill you :runinja:

Mattias_Fridell
06-12-2010, 08:08 PM
i cant believe you just told them dude :ruretard:

now we have to kill you :runinja:

hahaha!

ritaheed
06-12-2010, 08:31 PM

mattius your a total gentleman :D

imagine keeping it a secret ya greedy selfish bunch ;) :D lol

ritaheed
06-12-2010, 08:32 PM
now to steal mattius' techno crown :D

DannyBlack
06-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Cheers Mattius! Hey Rita- crown is mine hehehe

Mattias_Fridell
06-12-2010, 09:08 PM
You're welcome. Have fun while tweaking with this

rhythmtech
06-12-2010, 10:18 PM
just wanted to clear something up.

in step 3 mathius says to send your reverb to the kick. i assume he meant to send your kick to the reverb.

ICN
14-12-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm using a long 808 kick inbetween main Kicks, with the attack adjusted.

The mono reverb trick with a Vintage Warmer before the reverb on the send.

Usual tom hits destroyed with fx & EQ'd into behaving.

Logic EXS24 Default sine patch & the Logic EFM1 - Mental deep.

What all these things have in common is simplicity. The simpler the better.

ritaheed
14-12-2010, 01:09 AM

cool man will give this a try :)

TiagoTechnoHead
14-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Just loved this..
Thanks all you guys.

:)

ritaheed
14-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Just loved this..
Thanks all you guys.

quality soundcloud mate :)

Elvio Neto
14-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Just loved this..
Thanks all you guys.

adorei as tuas musicas , exelente trabalho amigo ;)

Mattias_Fridell
14-12-2010, 11:01 AM

Yea the 808 Kick is great as well.

Another thing I like to do is to build a nice groove with a kick, some percussion and perhaps and simple synth, tidy it up a bit and make it sound round, without too much compression, then route all the channels I worked with to a bus and low pass it, then I get a nice package of bottom I can pitch and play with together with a kick on top of it (side chain the bus comes handy here as well). Also effective to just render the low passed package as a loop and edit it later with pitch tone and other nice effects.

This is what I used normally for all my "harder" classic tunes.

ICN
14-12-2010, 11:56 AM
That makes sense - Cheers M :rusmile:

TiagoTechnoHead
14-12-2010, 01:51 PM

Another thing I like to do is to build a nice groove with a kick, some percussion and perhaps and simple synth, tidy it up a bit and make it sound round, without too much compression, then route all the channels I worked with to a bus and low pass it, then I get a nice package of bottom I can pitch and play with together with a kick on top of it (side chain the bus comes handy here as well). Also effective to just render the low passed package as a loop and edit it later with pitch tone and other nice effects.

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this :)

TiagoTechnoHead
14-12-2010, 01:52 PM
adorei as tuas musicas , exelente trabalho amigo ;)

Ople ..
Obrigado!

ritaheed
14-12-2010, 01:52 PM

nice mattias, gna try this aswell :)

TiagoTechnoHead
14-12-2010, 01:56 PM

Fantastic mate, thanks again!

TiagoTechnoHead
14-12-2010, 02:00 PM
quality soundcloud mate :)

Thanks mate!

278d7e64a374de26f==