PDA

View Full Version : sounds "sitting" within your mix

ritaheed
03-12-2010, 09:30 AM
The problem ive got in one of my tracks is that ive got a big beasting kickdrum, with a big rumbling bass and quite a bassy melody

The melody is coming from a doepfer dark energy so its a big meaty analogue sound, however I cant seem to get a balance were I can hear the full sound of the dark energy

I basically want to hear the fatness from the kick drum, the sub bass and the melody with all 3 sitting nice together

Ive tried EQ snd compressing the lot but its still not clear enough and stand outish

Anyone got any tips on this? how they do it? what should I do with EQ and compression?

Any help appreciated!!

Mattias_Fridell
03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
You can try to duplicate the doepfer melody and hi-pass one of them and cut it big time say from 0-600, then on the duplicate you run it on another channel with a low-pass filter instead working from where you cut with the hi-pass filter, then get rid of the worst unneeded bassey regions in the sound and sidechain that channel with the kick and lower the volume on it?

There should be lots of ways really but hard to nail it without being able to hear it.

ritaheed
03-12-2010, 03:07 PM
nice tip mattias, well appreciated :)

Mattias_Fridell
03-12-2010, 03:24 PM
You're welcome! Hope it helps

ritaheed
03-12-2010, 06:11 PM
mattias the melody is sitting well sweeter now - gna do that with alot of my stuff from now in - makes total sense to do it like that - cheers man ;)

a take it from many years of experience you know what frequency's to cut e.g like you said from 0-600?

I came across a frequecies of interest sheet which helped with percusion sounds e.g boost the kick drum at 50hz (think thats right) - is there other frequency rules for bassslines/melodies/percussion or anything really that is generally got to be used?

like for example what frequencies should be cut or boosted for a bassline? is this when analysers come into practice

anyone feel free to add there tips or advice or how they go about stuff plz :)

Mattias_Fridell
03-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Cool that it works better now. Well I usually like to cut away all the bass and the low mid / part of the center mid and split up channels like that, when it comes to troublesome synths eating the bottom away. Its nice to get some more control over messy sounds. Multi-band compression etc works good also, you can try to add a multi-band compressor to the synth also and go from there.

There are no solid rules I think more helpfull hints and tips when it comes to music. Personally I never really boost any bass at all, I mostly remove instead. I like to tidy up not needed frequencies from other sounds instead to make the bottom region work better.

278d7e64a374de26f==