PDA

View Full Version : alternaitves to pioneer cdj's

basslinejunkie
15-12-2010, 03:50 PM
high all,

after some thought i think im gona sell my technics and invest in some cdj's.thing is i cant afford to fork out £1000 pound for some top of the rangers. so what are good,cost effective alternatives???

your help would be great

teknofilth
15-12-2010, 06:17 PM
why do you want cdjs?
if it is to play mp3s why not traktor or serato? cheaper than any good pair of cdjs plus you get to keep your technics?
every month it seems like a new cdj comes out..you might get a pair and find them obsolete in a year or so!

basslinejunkie
15-12-2010, 06:40 PM
true and thanks, as far as im aware though you need a good computer to get the best out of them both, and my laptop is a heap of turd. Am i right on this?

basslinejunkie
16-12-2010, 03:53 PM
i am now seriously considering either serrato or traktor rather than cdjs. as far as im aware its the best of both,dont need to sell my technics or vinyl iv spent yrs collecting and can still download an play mp3's.

can somebody let me know the pros and conds to each,which they feel is best in terms of use,value, simplicity etc???

markandrew
16-12-2010, 08:43 PM
if i was u i would get traktor scrach pro while its half price 250 pound u have got till the 31st december to get it other wise 500 pound and cheap good laptop with loads of ram :ruwink:

just checked looks like everywhere sold out because of the 50% off

Winds
16-12-2010, 09:54 PM
i am now seriously considering either serrato or traktor rather than cdjs. as far as im aware its the best of both,dont need to sell my technics or vinyl iv spent yrs collecting and can still download an play mp3's.

can somebody let me know the pros and conds to each,which they feel is best in terms of use,value, simplicity etc???

I went from 1210's to CDJs, but changed to traktor a few months ago and using my 1210's again. Id deffo recommend traktor scratch pro. Really loving the program. Allows you to do a lot more to the music in terms of arrangements, effects etc.

And ye as markandrew said, its half price at the moment. Grab a bargain!

markandrew
16-12-2010, 10:08 PM
if i was u i would get traktor scrach pro while its half price 250 pound u have got till the 31st december to get it other wise 500 pound and cheap good laptop with loads of ram :ruwink:

just checked looks like everywhere sold out because of the 50% off

or you could get this List Price: £169.00 You Save £84.00 (50%) Selling Price: £85.00

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS TRAKTOR PRO - DJ SOFTWARE- DVD (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR283051)

and this controller Selling Price: £169.00 EACH

NUMARK MIXTRACK PRO - USB DJ CONTROLLER- EACH (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR353057)

both for 250 if you moneys a bit tight

basslinejunkie
16-12-2010, 11:35 PM
so with traktor,you play your 1210's as normal and can mix in downloaded tunes etc from your laptop?? how does this work is it auto cued or something?? sorry all ive ever known is decks an vinyl,the digital age is whole new world to me!!!

teknofilth
17-12-2010, 11:37 AM
it reads/calibrates the vinyl so you can put the needle where you want and it will pick up where you put it..just like vinyl..probably best to youtube it as i can't explain very well
a new version of traktor is coming out in february so I will wait before taking the plunge i think!

basslinejunkie
17-12-2010, 02:37 PM
cheers il check it out on youtube

markandrew
17-12-2010, 09:48 PM
i want this me

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 - USB DJ CONTROLLER + AUDIO INTERFACE- EACH (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR350423)

Winds
18-12-2010, 12:07 AM
so with traktor,you play your 1210's as normal and can mix in downloaded tunes etc from your laptop?? how does this work is it auto cued or something?? sorry all ive ever known is decks an vinyl,the digital age is whole new world to me!!!

Yes, you import tunes into your traktor library and control the decks within traktor from your 1210's. You can set cue points & loops easily, and jump between loops & cue points. Allows you to be more creative than just just using vinyl or cds. IMO best of both worlds. Since moving over to traktor, I find mixing vinyl/cd pretty boring.

basslinejunkie
18-12-2010, 02:04 AM
wow,im sold!!! time to get into the new world!! thanks people

one last thing,do you need a good laptop to do it justice and run it properly or does it work just fine on a basic laptop??

markandrew
18-12-2010, 10:55 PM
wow,im sold!!! time to get into the new world!! thanks people

one last thing,do you need a good laptop to do it justice and run it properly or does it work just fine on a basic laptop??

you be better with a mac but if moneys tight a good laptop with windows seven and 4 gig of ram keep it clean away from the internet use another laptop for downloadin tunes :ruwink:

basslinejunkie
23-12-2010, 04:43 PM
what is the difference between traktor scratch pro and traktor scratch duo?? appart from the huge difference in price!!

teknorich
23-12-2010, 05:46 PM
People always seem to think you need a Mac if you're doing music stuff on your computer but that's really not the case (especially now that Macs are also Intel based, thus have basically the same hardware as Windows machines). XP or Windows 7, and the full 4GB RAM will be fine. CPU speed doesn't matter that much tbh, but RAM is important.

Check out the Traktor Forums for tips on optimising your laptop and any other questions you've got, they can be helpful. (I can't open the link in work, but just google "traktor forum" and you'll find it).

Matt Jones
24-12-2010, 12:26 AM
what is the difference between traktor scratch pro and traktor scratch duo?? appart from the huge difference in price!!

Duo only has two internal playback decks (4 in Pro), and the software is stripped down a bit - I think the main thing with the software is that Duo has less FX. Duo is good if you are just going to use it with your Technics.

basslinejunkie
24-12-2010, 11:32 AM
cool,cheers mate,its only for bedroom / light use you see, and 500+ quid is a bit too steep.

one last question people,do i also need a specific mixer to use with traktor,or will my vestax pcv275 do the job???

Matt Jones
24-12-2010, 01:30 PM
It will work with any mixer. I think Traktor is easier to set-up than Serato in this regard as Traktor uses a single multi connection cable that plugs into the RCA inputs on the mixer.

markandrew
25-12-2010, 12:13 AM
People always seem to think you need a Mac if you're doing music stuff on your computer but that's really not the case (especially now that Macs are also Intel based, thus have basically the same hardware as Windows machines). XP or Windows 7, and the full 4GB RAM will be fine. CPU speed doesn't matter that much tbh, but RAM is important.

Check out the Traktor Forums for tips on optimising your laptop and any other questions you've got, they can be helpful. (I can't open the link in work, but just google "traktor forum" and you'll find it).

i would rather have a macbook pro than any other laptop had too many probs with any other laptop and windows,me mac book pro is like a car that never breaks down love it :rusmile:

278d7e64a374de26f==