PDA

View Full Version : Americans love football

SlavikSvensk
15-12-2010, 04:42 PM
This is true

Landon Donovan - A Disgrace To The Soccer-Loving Country Of America | The Onion Sports Network (http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/landon-donovan-a-disgrace-to-the-soccerloving-coun,18624/)

DannyBlack
15-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Haha. They can keep it. It's just plain Gay.

Esox Lucius
15-12-2010, 10:09 PM
lol got to love the onion. he didnt do too bad when we had him on loan at goodison, would have liked to have signed him. got a lot of support from blues in merseyside. "usa, usa"

Elvio Neto
16-12-2010, 10:04 AM
americans like soccer? i always heard them say soccer is a girl sport

SlavikSvensk
16-12-2010, 10:12 AM
read the article, worth reading all the way to the bottom ;)

basslinejunkie
16-12-2010, 11:58 AM

its ironic that they say football is a girls sport, when they wear pads to play rugby.

SlavikSvensk
16-12-2010, 12:39 PM
god, you guys need to read the damned article. :)

Will
29-01-2011, 04:20 PM
That website's rubbish and that article's rubbish, and American sports are rubbish.

C.O.Prodigy
29-01-2011, 07:38 PM
I read the article.

What I get from it is that at least people hate London Donovan now, regard him as a joke. Before, no one even knew who Alexi Lalas was.

http://www.soccer24-7.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43220&stc=1&d=1269639046

The soccer ball is in much better shape then it ever was in the states. I guess its just fun to kick.

SlavikSvensk
30-01-2011, 03:18 AM
let's see...6 people reply, but only 2 get it. not very good showing, lads.

Esox Lucius
30-01-2011, 06:24 PM
let's see...6 people reply, but only 2 get it. not very good showing, lads.

probably didnt even click on the link, mention americans and 'our' football and thats enough to get a reaction lol

SlavikSvensk
31-01-2011, 03:47 AM
probably didnt even click on the link, mention americans and 'our' football and thats enough to get a reaction lol

i counted you as one of the 2 who got it lol. i mean goddamn, the article is from the f*cking onion and its making fun of how much less interested in the world cup americans were than our european and south american friends, and particularly english fans. never thought i'd have to explain sarcasm and parody to english people, but i guess they don't teach it in schools over there anymore.

Will
31-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I hope you counted me as one of the two who got it, poor example of sarcasm though. I'd be a bit surprised if anyone didn't get it, I thought it was pretty ham fisted.

SlavikSvensk
01-02-2011, 12:45 AM
sorry will, but you're being held back a year for lack of progress. your parents have already been notified.

Will
01-02-2011, 06:34 PM

That's one of the reasons I said it was a rubbish site, they lumped in 'soccer' with Ladies sports, thus proving what an inbred redneck they are.

eppertheleper
01-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure which was more fun to read, the thread or the article? Classics, both!

Richierush
02-02-2011, 01:02 AM
i found that american paper said it all after they drew with England,USA win 1-1 ....

SlavikSvensk
02-02-2011, 02:24 AM

that sounds about right. i like the ones who keep going even after they've embarrassed themselves publicly.

C.O.Prodigy
02-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Soccer in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_in_the_United_States)

Television viewership of club and international soccer in the U.S. is at an all-time high, with major sports networks regularly covering games in some fashion and several other channels dedicated mostly or entirely to the sport.

Until recently, American soccer was more of a regional phenomenon than it is today. Soccer flourished in hotbeds such as New Jersey, Texas, New York, Saint Louis, the Pacific Northwest, Southern California, and in areas with large immigrant populations that grew up with the game in their homelands

It's a Jersey thing, apparently. :)

Soccer Insider - TV ratings for USA-England World Cup match (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/06/strong_marks_for_tv_ratings_fo.html)

http://www.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/soccer-on-tv.jpg

Premier League TV Schedule For U.S. Viewers | EPL Talk (http://www.epltalk.com/premier-league-tv-schedule/)

Wednesday, February 2:

* 2:45pm: Blackburn v Spurs, ESPN3.com
* 2:45pm: Blackpool v West Ham, ESPN3.com
* 3pm: Fulham v Newcastle United, ESPN3.com
* 3pm: Liverpool v Stoke, Fox Soccer Channel (shown on replay on Fox Soccer Channel at 8pm; also available on FoxSoccer.tv after midnight)
* 3pm: Bolton v Wolves, Fox Soccer Plus and FoxSoccer.tv and FoxSoccer iPhone app (also shown on replay on Fox Soccer Plus at 8pm)

Americans love football.

SlavikSvensk
02-02-2011, 03:11 AM
yeah that's all true, C.O.

used to be that the only people who watched football were immigrants from latin america, africa and europe, as well as a hardcore set of fans who would seek out european and international matches on satellite at bars. then with the slow decline of baseball outside the northeast, all the news coming out about how dangerous american football is (especially for head trauma), more and more kids started choosing football instead. now those kids are adults or starting to grow up and want to watch professional football. MLS got a big boost from the fairly successful US campaign in the world cup, and even people who never liked football got into it. we now also get a full slate of premiership, serie a and la liga matches on a dedicated, basic cable channel (fox soccer world).

for a football fan, it's a way better environment than it was even 5 years ago. but then again, it's still not as popular as it should be. might unseat ice hockey as the #4 professional team sport in the US in short time, but i have a hard time seeing it compete in terms of popularity with baseball, basketball american football quite yet. part of the problem is that the MLS is a third-rate league trying to transform itself into a second-rate league. getting beckham and henry to play, even in the twilight of their careers, is a plus. but there's a long way to go.

278d7e64a374de26f==